WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Running out of time for a sleeping pad!

Alright, I might have screwed up by not doing this sooner, but I'll deal with the possible consequences. I had a Thermarest Evolite and I couldn't stand it for the 5 days I was in Yosemite. Granted, I was naive and didn't choose the best spot to setup my tent, but we had limited space and I was on a slight angle. Aside from rolling off all through the nights, I felt it was small. It was my first sleeping pad experience. Previously I've just used a bag with no pad, although I haven't done any serious camping throughout my life. I'm an average guy (5'10", 180lbs), but I tend to toss and turn a lot. I prefer side sleeping or on my stomach. I also enjoy short walks on the beach and pina-coladas are alright on occasion.

The pad kept slipping throughout the entire trip and my nights were miserable. I suppose some sort of grip between the pad and tent floor can fix the slipping, so that's not a huge concern. I figure whatever the model, I'll get the largest size so I have room to sprawl out and move around. Large/wide pads preferred... borderline necessary. I'm honestly not sure if I prefer baffles or not, and if horizontal or vertical better. But I do know that I was annoyed with the slight horizontal baffles of the Evolite.

This link isn't going to help too terribly much I don't suppose, but I tried to narrow down everything just a bit. And I'm not really willing to spend more than $120. The cheaper the better.

https://www.rei.com/c/sleeping-pads?...sort=min-price

So I'm looking for a general consensus (I know, laughable) and just going to hope for the best. Worst case, I deflate the hell out of it and sleep mostly on the ground, which I really don't mind. I much prefer that over a nuisance of a pad. Bonus points to anyone else who has hated the Evolite for similar reasons and found one that works wonders for them.

How 'bout this one?

Sometimes a small piece (about 1.5 ft by 3 ft) of 1/8" closed cell foam under the air mattress can keep it from sliding around.

cheap, big and light is a bit hard to come by, so you'll probably be a touch on the heavy side

Have heard some good things about this mat from friends, but haven't used and is too short for me:
    https://www.rei.com/product/866835/k...v-sleeping-pad
    23" wide (3" more than standard). Seems to pack down pretty well

The prolite plus large is a great size at 25". A bit more $ and 2 ounces heavier than above

There may be other options, but the ones I know of are not wide/comfortable/warm pads or are more expensive than your budget.

I'm not so concerned with light and packable, at least not so much as others seem to be. That doesn't mean I want super bulky and heavy though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Pretty light and cheep from China. Converting metric it's about 23.6" wide and 73" long. Of course no warranty support and who knows about quality? Be the first and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    How 'bout this one?

Sometimes a small piece (about 1.5 ft by 3 ft) of 1/8" closed cell foam under the air mattress can keep it from sliding around.
    It looked pretty good, but there isn't a wide version. I'd like one if possible. Have you any experience with that pad or did you just think it was a good fit for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Pretty light and cheep from China. Converting metric it's about 23.6" wide and 73" long. Of course no warranty support and who knows about quality? Be the first and let us know.
    Lol, I've always been scared to buy from AliExpress. Plus it's possible it wouldn't even arrive this coming month. I'm planning on leaving in the first week of March

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    cheap, big and light is a bit hard to come by, so you'll probably be a touch on the heavy side

Have heard some good things about this mat from friends, but haven't used and is too short for me:
    https://www.rei.com/product/866835/k...v-sleeping-pad
    23" wide (3" more than standard). Seems to pack down pretty well

The prolite plus large is a great size at 25". A bit more $ and 2 ounces heavier than above

There may be other options, but the ones I know of are not wide/comfortable/warm pads or are more expensive than your budget.
    I do like that one. But I'm unsure about the V shaped baffles. Just fear of the unknown. But in leaning toward this one!

SOLD!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLYMIT-Insul...25.m3641.l6368

The more I looked at the Klymit Static V pads, the more I liked them. Plus, there's a Luxe edition that's even larger, and an insulated version. To top it off, that link is to Klymit's ebay listiing of all their used/returned Insulated Luxe pads at half price... AND still covered by their limited lifetime warranty. Am I missing something? Cuz that seems awesome!

did you already pull the trigger on that? REI you can return it any time if there's issues or you don't like the feel
    Probably worth it for a mat

Am I missing something?

35 ounces!?

If it fits your needs and you're willing to carry it why not? Way heavier than anything I would carry, but I'm not carrying it.

Oh, that's a different one. "refurbished" can mean a lot of things in my experience (sometimes good, sometimes terrible)

35 oz is way too heavy, imo

Another model I was previously looking at was 3.3-3.5lbs. Granted I didn't know it at the time, lol.

I'm certainly not an ultralight, or even a lightweight, packer. I expect to have a base weight around 35lbs. So a 2lb pad isn't really a concern. It looks pretty massive and I'm excited. Did I mention I move around a LOT?

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    did you already pull the trigger on that? REI you can return it any time if there's issues or you don't like the feel
    Probably worth it for a mat
    About to. This is straight from Klymit. And I'm usually not willing to pay REI prices. I did buy that Evolite I mentioned from REI. You're right, flawless return policy. Which is great because it was such a miserable pad.

I have the Klymit Static V LITE in the quiver. Only 19 ounces, 23 inch width, packs small. It was on sale at Christmas on Campsaver for around 80 bucks...

I'm using the Exped Winterlite Long Wide. It's an inch thicker, higher R rating, longer and wider (not a rectangle though) but only 0.7oz heavier than the Klymit Static V Lite.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I'm using the Exped Winterlite Long Wide. It's an inch thicker, higher R rating, longer and wider (not a rectangle though) but only 0.7oz heavier than the Klymit Static V Lite.
    If that's the down Winterlite, it also costs twice what the Klymit does...

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
    SOLD!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLYMIT-Insul...25.m3641.l6368

The more I looked at the Klymit Static V pads, the more I liked them. Plus, there's a Luxe edition that's even larger, and an insulated version. To top it off, that link is to Klymit's ebay listiing of all their used/returned Insulated Luxe pads at half price... AND still covered by their limited lifetime warranty. Am I missing something? Cuz that seems awesome!
    IIIRC I found the un-insulated version of the Static V2 to be only 68"-70" long, depending on where you make the vertical measurement (middle or edges). It has an unusual shape. To get 72" in length, I feel like you'd have to measure from the outside of the head end to the middle of the foot end. Not outside-to-outside, or middle-to-middle. Another potential explanation is that these things may be that long uninflated, but "shrink" in dimensions when you inflate them.

It was a deal through Costco (came packaged with an inflatable pillow too) but it went back - just too short for me, esp. for the stomach sleeping. And I didn't end up liking the pillow either, except how small it packed.

+1 on the Klymit Static V insulated pad. I actually liked the V baffles after a few nights. I added some bathroom silicone stripes to the bottom of the pad and it stays put. Very comfortable and great customer service.

I'll sell you a like new, used two or three times neo air xtherm max for $160 shipped. Pm if interested

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++