WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thanks for the tip You know, it's really interesting to read different opinions. Makes me think

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    I hike in boots. Danners no less! The horror!!!

You are the only one that is going to be standing in your boots or shoes. You are the only one that will know what works for you. At the end of the day, if you got as far as you wanted and intended to go while walking, it's a good day and you made the right decision in footwear.

Wear whatever trips your trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by higuy111 View Post
    Thanks for the tip You know, it's really interesting to read different opinions. Makes me think
    A pound of experience is worth more than a ton of advice.

Time to go hike. Lots of great hiking in PA. Get some shoes/boots/trailrunners/whatever and head up to Pine Creek Gorge... smooth trails by PA standards.

Why do people hike further today than they did 30 years ago?

Probably lighter equipment. 10 or 15 lbs removed from your back and 2 lbs removed from your feet saves a lot of energy per step... (be careful, there are engineers on this site who may just break that down into energy per step with formulas you have no hope in understanding!!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Why do people hike further today than they did 30 years ago?

Probably lighter equipment. 10 or 15 lbs removed from your back and 2 lbs removed from your feet saves a lot of energy per step... (be careful, there are engineers on this site who may just break that down into energy per step with formulas you have no hope in understanding!!!! )
    I am not sure everyone is hiking further today than 30 years ago, certainly some who are doing long distance walks are. More miles per day may be an issue of conditioning, under the more you do it the better you get doctrine. Conditioning coupled with gear suitable to the level of conditioning is probably a legitimate connection but may not be the driving factor.

Likely a combination of things, with available recreational time being near the top of the list that was not as high in the 80s. The issue of gear being lighter is probably part of it along with it being its far more accessible to not only buy but the costs itself with internet and big box retailers that did not exist 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-24-2017 at 08:38.

I know that I am far happier at 61yrs carrying 15lbs than I ever was at 25yrs carrying 40lbs.

Recalling a trip a buddy and I took to Shining Rock/Pisgah in 1981, it was a lot of fun but definitely Skurka's Type 2 fun. Makes me appreciate even more keenly the UL gear available today.

Quote Originally Posted by higuy111 View Post
    Well, then ankle support makes no sense... Isn't it possible to strengthen ankles so they wouldn't need support? Or is it still safer to have ankle support, even though knees are in danger?

That's really interesting info, thank you
    Every person is different so that's tough to answer. I find, personally, that I have more problems with ankle support than without it, BUT I can only say that definitively about my body because I'm not a Dr or a nurse etc. The ironic thing is that I don't own a single pair of day-to-day footwear that isn't boots...trail runners are my only non-boot footwear (unless you count slippers, lol). The best way to strengthen anything is by using it and gradually build up the muscles, first by just walking then by adding weight or by picking tougher terrain etc.

Thank you! Will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    A pound of experience is worth more than a ton of advice.

Time to go hike. Lots of great hiking in PA. Get some shoes/boots/trailrunners/whatever and head up to Pine Creek Gorge... smooth trails by PA standards.

my asolo renegades are amazing

sorry asolo fugitive*

unrelated: is there a way to edit my posts here on WB?

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    sorry asolo fugitive*

unrelated: is there a way to edit my posts here on WB?
    Cough up a $10 donation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++