WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Bear Cannister Vs Bagging

I have only ever bear bagged, and haven't really had any issues... But I have read that the ATC is recommending carrying a bear cannister due to the increased frequency of bears being attracted to human food... I can onlyl imagine this might be due to poor bagging practices...

Any thoughts on bringing a bear cannister vs just bagging?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'm one of the few WB members that use a bear can. I spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks where canisters are required, so I got used to it, and actually like it. I figure sooner or later they will be required more places than not, so I'm just ahead of the game. Keeps your food dry and whole, and it weighs about one day's worth of food - not that big a deal.

I've heard through the grapevine that the stretches of trail that recommend/require bear cans are usually just popular spots on the trail that everyone visits frequently. (ie. Blood Mountain) It's intended to keep people from camping in certain areas to reduce impact on the sites. Most hikers would prefer not to carry a bear can, so they camp right before the section of trail that requires one, then hike through the section the following day so the bear can isn't necessary.

I put all my food in a OPKSAK TrailProof bag and then in a dry bag. This works both for hanging a bear bag, and the more frequently used but somewhat unpopular method of just tossing your food bag it in the bottom of your pack. I've never had any issues using this method, at least on the AT. I don't usually hang a bear bag, unless there are convenient cables near where I'm camping.

I would 100% of the time recommend bagging over a carrying a bear can.

Images

I talked to the USFS Wilderness Ranger at Shining Rock Wilderness about a year ago.One thing many hikers do is improper disposal of uneaten camp food.Many throw food into fire pits and even if it burns pretty good,bears can smell this and will dig into fire pits making a mess.Anyone ever tried a new Mountain House meal and found it too bad to eat? Well some just scatter this over in the weeds behind their camp.Might as well just hang out and feed the bears.Only 2 ways to get rid of camp food.Eat it or pack it out.Fire pits are not trash cans for hikers to toss whatever into thinking that hikers behind them will have a fire and burn it. In the last few years the number of hikers starting a NOBO thru hike in GA is way up and many shelters are seeing very large groups which just compounds the problem as many still can't figure out what LNT is about.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I know there are those that say they simply sleep with your food, but if the choice is properly hanging your food or use a bear canister, a canister is much simpler, especially if you use one like the Bearikade that uses coin operated twist locks (the Bear Vault is designed somewhat like a safety cap on a pill bottle by comparison, and can be much more difficult to operate when it is cold).

Journal Entries

Only drawback to cannister is weight.
    Aside from that theres no comparison, they rock. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only drawback to cannister is weight.
    Aside from that theres no comparison, they rock. Simple.
    Agree. Most likely will be required at some point in the future. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Images

I know the recommended practice for cannister use is to leave it laying well away from the tent in a depression so it doesn't roll away. From my experience out west spots like that would usually be easy find, but on the AT it could be harder. How are people using them? Just laying them away from the tent, or are they hanging them as well?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I'll just use a food bag, as I have no use for a canister after the walk. Obviously if it was a requirement I would have one.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I know the recommended practice for cannister use is to leave it laying well away from the tent in a depression so it doesn't roll away. From my experience out west spots like that would usually be easy find, but on the AT it could be harder. How are people using them? Just laying them away from the tent, or are they hanging them as well?
    No, you don't hang a canister or an ursack.

and to the OP.... there are options beyond proper hanging and canisters.
    1) sleep with the food. This is what a large number of people do including myself. It is based on the assumption that bears will not challenge you for possession of your food. (this is why don't bears attack walking hikers for their food)
    2) Ursack. Lighter and more pack friendly. It's a bit more work than a canister but less than a hang. Bear won't get food but you could have some prechewed food.
    3) a crappy hang which is what the majority of hanging. If you go this route then learn how to hang properly. The PCT method is what I recommend. IMHO this is the worst route to go. You have lost possession of your food and made it accessible. Bad news for both your food and the bear.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

I just put mine away from the tent, but still within view so I can scare anything that tries to mess with it. In over 2000 miles, it has never been touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    It's easy to find spots to leave the can - there are almost always downed trees around to create an area where it won't roll away if a bear works on it. You definitely do not hang the can, or leave it in a carrying bag that some people use... that's like putting handle on it so the bear can run off with it (he still won't get in, but you'll have a hard time finding it). I've left my can in many places, including caching food drops for a week or more, and it's never been touched.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bkristynicole View Post
    I have only ever bear bagged, and haven't really had any issues... But I have read that the ATC is recommending carrying a bear cannister due to the increased frequency of bears being attracted to human food... I can onlyl imagine this might be due to poor bagging practices...

Any thoughts on bringing a bear cannister vs just bagging?
    Between the instances of human stupidity, the increased number of hikers on the trail, and the increased number of bear interactions, I do have to say this recommendation does not surprise me. It is possible they are just trying to get ahead of potential problems by recommending a canister.

I think the likely decreased natural food sources (due to fire) might also cause the bears to be more curious about the smell of food bags this year.

It might also be harder to find a "safe" limb to hang the food bag from in the areas impacted by the fires.

Journal Entries
    Images

I may just get one. There are a few areas I'd enventually need one anyways the bearakade sp is kinda pricey. But I like it best outta what I have seen. I will hang till I make up mind
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

[QUOTE=Malto;2120179]No, you don't hang a canister or an ursack.

1) sleep with the food. This is what a large number of people do including myself. It is based on the assumption that bears will not challenge you for possession of your food. (this is why don't bears attack walking hikers for their food)

I'm all about this option...unless there are easily accessible cables nearby. I keep my food in a LokSak scentproof bag, in my food dry bag, in my pack, in my tent. I've never had a problem with a bear, much less mouse, racoon or other critter. At first you'll see everyone hanging bear bags, and then little by little, they'll start getting lazy about it, and by the time you hit Virginia most people are sleeping with their food in their tents. Believe me, after a month or two of hiking, hanging a bear bag will be the last thing you'll want to do when you get into camp completely exhausted. That being said, you should still be aware of what the consequences could be when you sleep with your food.

Mice tend to chew holes in food bags, tents or packs to get at food in a tent. A couple sleepless nights spent killing mice climbing on me and I decided food goes outside.

Just curious, are canisters smell-proof? I know the bear can't get into them, but can they smell thru them? I would think even if not there would be some residual smell on the outside from a person handling it, etc. I know animals have remarkable senses of smell.

[QUOTE=josh_ATL;2120393]
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    . Believe me, after a month or two of hiking, hanging a bear bag will be the last thing you'll want to do when you get into camp completely exhausted. That being said, you should still be aware of what the consequences could be when you sleep with your food.
    Yep, if the bear decides he wants it, it will be the last thing you do - ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Just curious, are canisters smell-proof?
    Nope. Some folks use odor-barrier bags inside them.

Images

[QUOTE=Tundracamper;2120485]
    Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post

Yep, if the bear decides he wants it, it will be the last thing you do - ever.
    Yeah, I didn't say that! Interesting that a quote could get messed up

to to your point..... and a bear decides he wants it when your walking then same thing. Neither have happened frequently at all.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++