WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FaceBook

Default FaceBook

Just curious... Why wasn't this blog created on facebook? Its free!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Not everyone has a Facebook account.

Nothing but a bunch of narcissistic losers from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dtzamora13 View Post
    Just curious... Why wasn't this blog created on facebook? Its free!

Eating crushed glass is also free but that doesn't mean you should do it. There are dozens of excellent reasons to never use Facebook, but this isn't the place to discuss them. You'll have to figure it out yourself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This forum predates FB by several years.

It is also a better and more organized format for question and answer topics. FB groups make it nearly impossible to search for older posts if you are looking for a specific topic.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This forum predates FB by several years.

It is also a better and more organized format for question and answer topics. FB groups make it nearly impossible to search for older posts if you are looking for a specific topic.
    Agree. FB is arranged linearly in strict chronological order. With WB's structure, you can find the forum pertaining to your interest and see if your question has come up before. If not, it's easy to post a new question.

Many have criticized the WB search capabilities but I find them more than adequate, especially if you focus on the relevant forum(s).

Yup that is something I didn't consider

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Not everyone has a Facebook account.

Nothing but a bunch of narcissistic losers from what I have seen.
    Well, I'm sure not everyone has a WB account at first.. But considering what a user said below... I understand the need for a individual forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Eating crushed glass is also free but that doesn't mean you should do it. There are dozens of excellent reasons to never use Facebook, but this isn't the place to discuss them. You'll have to figure it out yourself.
    Just asking...

Just asking...
    Well you better not ask something like that again you hear me! lol ....

I for one really enjoy that this forum is a forum and not a facebook page. There is enough garbage on there that it doesn't need wb garbage compiled on top of it lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Well you better not ask something like that again you hear me! lol ....

I for one really enjoy that this forum is a forum and not a facebook page. There is enough garbage on there that it doesn't need wb garbage compiled on top of it lol
    Everyone is making this such a pleasant experience... So many friendly people...

Leonidas

Forums generally require one to have thick skin. Not just this one, but pretty much any forum out there. Anonymity of the internets and all that rot.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

There's quite a few @$$h01es on here, too. But they're our @$$h01es.

Everyone is making this such a pleasant experience... So many friendly people...

Learn to use the "Ignore" feature. Things become much more pleasant.

Also, Facebook sucks. There's a reason Zuckerberg is worth billions. Hint: if you aren't paying, you're the product, not the customer.

There are several Appalachian Trail groups on Facebook (Class of 2016, Class of 2017, etc.) you can join, but it's more difficult to have a discussion on a specific topic. I use White Blaze a lot because it's super easy to find answers on just about anything related to hiking or AT. I also use Reddit a lot. I's kind of similar to White Blaze in the face you can discuss and find answers on more specific topics. There are several sub-Reddits on things like:

/r/Ultralight
    /r/AppalachainTrail
    /r/PacificCrestTrail
    /r/Camping
    /r/Hiking
    /r/rGearTrade

and a ton of others I'm not mentioning. Reddit has a ton of users making it very easy to start a discussion and receive input in a very short time.

Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    There are several Appalachian Trail groups on Facebook (Class of 2016, Class of 2017, etc.) you can join, but it's more difficult to have a discussion on a specific topic. I use White Blaze a lot because it's super easy to find answers on just about anything related to hiking or AT. I also use Reddit a lot. I's kind of similar to White Blaze in the face you can discuss and find answers on more specific topics. There are several sub-Reddits on things like:

/r/Ultralight
    /r/AppalachainTrail
    /r/PacificCrestTrail
    /r/Camping
    /r/Hiking
    /r/rGearTrade

and a ton of others I'm not mentioning. Reddit has a ton of users making it very easy to start a discussion and receive input in a very short time.
    Thanx for the info... And I'm totally agreeing with this now that some peeps have taken the time to explain it. Thank you!

Just asking...
    Sorry, but I forget how popular Facebook is and have to be careful of my criticism of that company. There is a reason investors have bid their stock to the moon when Facebook sells a service that is "free". It's obviously not free at all. You just pay for it in a variety of obscure ways and I have decided for myself that the costs far outweigh the benefit of being a user.

Images

Sorry, but I forget how popular Facebook is and have to be careful of my criticism of that company. There is a reason investors have bid their stock to the moon when Facebook sells a service that is "free". It's obviously not free at all. You just pay for it in a variety of obscure ways and I have decided for myself that the costs far outweigh the benefit of being a user.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    ...There's a reason Zuckerberg is worth billions. Hint: if you aren't paying, you're the product, not the customer.
    It's not obscure at all. It's mining your browser data and selling the results to companies that target ads based upon other websites you have visited. Facebook looks at the browser pages you recently visited including searches and sells that info to advertisers. That's why you get targeted ads for stuff you've been looking at (even indirectly related stuff) on your facebook and other web pages.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It's not obscure at all. It's mining your browser data and selling the results to companies that target ads based upon other websites you have visited. Facebook looks at the browser pages you recently visited including searches and sells that info to advertisers. That's why you get targeted ads for stuff you've been looking at (even indirectly related stuff) on your facebook and other web pages.
    That is certainly true but it just barely scratches the surface. Facebook is no longer valued based on ad revenue alone. They collect an incredible number of data points on each user that goes way beyond just the information you post at the website or web pages you visit. Facebook has also successfully demonstrated that they can influence user beliefs based on information they either show or hide from users. They have shown strong statistical results in this area. Facebook has also invested heavily in creating censorship tools on a number of different levels. They have spent many millions on that. The list goes on and on. I own a successful data mining company and I can assure you that the number of ways Facebook impacts (and likely impacts) your life will just make your head spin. It's not nearly as benign as simply controlling the advertisements you see.

^^^ so, it takes one to know one, eh?

Images

That is certainly true but it just barely scratches the surface. Facebook is no longer valued based on ad revenue alone. They collect an incredible number of data points on each user that goes way beyond just the information you post at the website or web pages you visit. Facebook has also successfully demonstrated that they can influence user beliefs based on information they either show or hide from users. They have shown strong statistical results in this area. Facebook has also invested heavily in creating censorship tools on a number of different levels. They have spent many millions on that. The list goes on and on. I own a successful data mining company and I can assure you that the number of ways Facebook impacts (and likely impacts) your life will just make your head spin. It's not nearly as benign as simply controlling the advertisements you see.
    Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. I was just giving the most obvious example. As an insider, perhaps you could elaborate? It's an interesting subject.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++