WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quit My Job

Do it! You won't regret attempting to thru but you will regret not attempting.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Been there, done that. Took longer than expected to land my next job afterwards, but in the scheme of things, no big deal. Climbing the corporate ladder was never on my to-do list.

I just posted my notice a few days ago

IMG_7856.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post

IMG_7856.JPG
    I love it!

I too am done working after 21 years this spring. Thru hike starts the following month.

There will be butterflies in your stomach...that feeling like you're just about to jump off a bridge. Its perfectly normal to feel that way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post

IMG_7856.JPG
    Skeletor is the perfect mascot or quitting your job.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

You won't look back. (Unless you get off at Neel Gap.) I decided to sell my business that I had for 14 years while on the trail. Clarity was a gift from my thru. Have fun and don't wring your hands! Send them postcards each month, and if you still want that job when you are done, maybe they will take you back.

HYOH.........develop your own style and approach......i would not quitjob unless you dislike it. I would suggest that you try a section or two at first......a week's worth of hiking to see if your body.......mind.......can handle the tough question that will be asked by your inner voice....why,why,why am i doing this? And if you do not have good answers for why you are doing this then thru hiking such a distance is not for you. Remember that of those who start more then 75% do not finish and they quit there job as the first step. I am not being mean. I have been doing this for a long time and have seen this trail DESTROY people motivation and spirt. I would suggest the CT as a first long distance hike. This trail is easy and beautiful.

I wish you the best and keep eye for me i will have snaks and goodies.

Do it. I am also quitting my job to thru hike this year. Sometimes a change or a shake up is required in life. Have a great hike!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I just resigned from a comfortable job that I was burned out at. My last day is 3/3 and I'm starting NOBO April 28th. I prayed about it for weeks and talked it over with family. I've been getting overwhelming support.

Congratulations on your decision and maybe I'll see you out there.

Images

I just put in my two weeks. Last day is March 17. I am leaving Houston, TX April 1 (hahaha) and I am planning on starting April 3rd. In my opinion, you know... If you are second guessing, that will only get worse on the trail... (Been there, my first attempt was in 2010.) But if you know in your gut that it's time to do something else, then do it... Good luck and happy trails!

Images

don't worry. jobs are a dime a dozen. careers on the other hand are hard to come by......
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Yo! Right there with you. I put in my notice a while ago, last day is coming quick! Start my thru on 17 June. Only advice, don't over plan. You will just drive yourself nuts with the details that will just go out the window once you hit the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    don't worry. jobs are a dime a dozen. careers on the other hand are hard to come by......
    Very well stated, a distinction with a serious difference.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    While the rewards of thru-hiking can be great from a personal standpoint, the true costs of thru-hiking can be higher than just what is spent on gear and hiking. I always wonder how many with little to no long distance hiking experience have quit good jobs or perhaps worse, messed up a career path, and set out to thru-hike, only to find out early on that thru-hiking wasn't their cup of tea? How many good jobs lost, relationships gone south, etc, that a two week section hike could have saved? Probably not a reality a lot of people want to consider.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Live life. Build a life. A career you're passionate about is part of life but does not have to entirely define it. A jobby type job is well... just that...a job.

Embracing the unfamiliar, the unknown, and aiming to joyfully mindfully adapt is part of the requirement for LD hiking...and living life more fully.

Perhaps, you might recognize how you can connect hiking, using the experiences of thru-hiking, as adding to a passionate career rather than an avoidance or ignorance of it. That's what I do. Define your hike. Don't let others do it for you. Organize your hike to include what you want.

Thru-hiking is surely NOT just about hiking! Thru-hiking surely does NOT have to be approached or perceived as being irresponsible or lacking commitment or a vacation...despite what anyone assumes. Being a passionate Landscape Architect and horticulturalist I study plants and design on everyone of my hikes. Visiting museums, Botanical Gardens, taking in musical venues, farmer's markets, different regional cultures, foods, volunteering for a day or two doing trail maintenance, cooperating with others, ad infinitum while on thru-hikes makes me better... better in a way that relates to a career where I have to directly work with people face to face. Thru-hiking makes us more aware. It takes us out of cultural and societal norms an enormously beneficial aspect. Plus, the social skills and go with the flow persevering attitude being developed as a challenged LD hiker/traveler directly applies to a better team working structure and 'delivered as promised on time' result in a career setting. The physical and mental fortitude as well as wider national and world perspective that is developed on a thru-hike beneficially crossovers to work environments. Thru-hiking can be an ideal vehicle for developing self actualization - the achievement of one's full potential through creativity, independence, spontaneity, and a grasp of the real world. Self-actualization occurs when you maximize your potential, doing the best that you are capable of doing. What's so wonderful is that much of this happens while not being totally aware of it while it's occurring.

I was extremely surprised at how support my co-workers and superiors were when I announced my intent to thru hike - The best approach my wife and I found was to be honest about it. This is a once in a lifetime (For the majority of hikers) opportunity that you have to take.

This year I will be thru hiking with my wife, but I had an opportunity 5 years ago and let it pass for silly reasons. I regretted it every day. You won't regret going for it!

"There is no failure except in no
    longer trying. There is no defeat
    except from within, no insurmountable
    barrier except our own inherent
    weakness of purpose." - Elbert Hubbard

"How supportive" rather

"There is no failure except in no
    longer trying. There is no defeat
    except from within, no insurmountable
    barrier except our own inherent
    weakness of purpose." - Elbert Hubbard

i just quit my job all of a sudden. my original plan was to quit around this time but then i got a pretty significant raise and decided i should put off the thru to save up more money. but i just realized how bored i am with life right now so i just quit. i need a change up real badly. going back to my original plan now to flip flop starting mid may

Totally agree. OP does not say if this is a job or a career. Anyhow, if they like you, they will take you back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++