WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I originally purchased a Rav Power 10,400 External Battery. However, that item left home so I rethought my needs and then purchased an Anker 10000 Power Core External Battery. Here is a video review if interested: https://youtu.be/G_0lWYg7Y0k
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Chris Berry just posted a review of 3 different portable packs, with one being the Anker 10,000. In his review, the Anker is only 60% efficient, which mostly mirrors my informal testing (resulting in me shifting to the RAV line). You have to watch the end to see some humor and the thought process of most UL hikers.
    https://youtu.be/YrfNy_n81N8

I totally agree with his and your thought process and humor! Out of all of them, I liked the Rav 10,400 for multi port, pass through charging, and efficiency. However, the size of a candy bar versus the size of a deck of cards, plus weight caused my outcome. That and the fact that my Daughter "packed" the Rav Power with her stuff when you moved to the city! lol.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Looking at the manual for the Ravpower 10400- it also has a warning about using as a pass-thru device.
    Actual mileage may vary, I guess.

Journal Entries
    Images

I pulled the trigger and bought an Anker Astro E3 10000 mAh battery and the PowerPort 2 charger. I bought them after reading here on WB and on the recommendation of an EE friend who has them.

I am not doing careful bench tests with multimeters and such but so far it looks like I can get 3+ charges (about 2.5 hrs each) on my BlackBerry (yes I'm a government employee) and 4+ (about 2 hrs) on my personal iPhone. I'd put the differences down to older and newer technology. The battery did charge pretty fast on the charger, maybe 4+ hours. I won't comment on more on volts, mAhs, etc because I'd have to turn myself into the PE board for practicing out of my engineering competency.

I consider the iPhone as a safety measure, if there is coverage. The next time I go out though (the Allegheny Front Trail in March) I'm going to test out the battery and iPhone by using the GPS, listen to podcasts and probably read a book at night.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I pulled the trigger and bought an Anker Astro E3 10000 mAh battery and the PowerPort 2 charger. I bought them after reading here on WB and on the recommendation of an EE friend who has them.

I consider the iPhone as a safety measure, if there is coverage. The next time I go out though (the Allegheny Front Trail in March) I'm going to test out the battery and iPhone by using the GPS, listen to podcasts and probably read a book at night.
    That's my feeling. I'm not going without the phone, so I may as well make it where I can use it.

The Gaia app on my phone did great tracking my hike last trip. Granted, that's not something you'd do on a thru, but it's great for a weekend hike. Even though I'd be adding a battery, I think I could leave the GPS logger and its AA batteries at home.

I like the Astro E3 because it has two ports. It seems for a little more $ and just a tad more weight (<1 oz), the 13,000 PowerCore is a good option also with two ports.

Images

The Anker works great. It last a very long time.Months sitting in a draw.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

A Anker's aren't water proof I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    A Anker's aren't water proof I believe.
    So I can't submerge my phone and battery in the creek and charge them? Darn!!

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Chris Berry just posted a review of 3 different portable packs, with one being the Anker 10,000. In his review, the Anker is only 60% efficient, which mostly mirrors my informal testing (resulting in me shifting to the RAV line). You have to watch the end to see some humor and the thought process of most UL hikers.
    https://youtu.be/YrfNy_n81N8
    And the 60% is based on what? Charging a phone x.x times? Or what?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++