WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing weight?

Just wondering what the average weight for your carried clothes is? My base weight is right around 12 lbs but that's with almost 3.5 lbs of clothes.

I have:

Zpacks pillow cuben dry bag - 1 3/4 oz

extra pair of exofficio boxers - 2 3/4 oz
    extra pair of darn tough hiking socks - 2 1/8 oz
    Merrel down jacket - 14 3/8 oz
    OR softshell - 13 3/4 oz
    Luke's ultralight laundry shorts - 1 oz
    OR top long sleeve base layer - 6 1/4 oz
    Icebreaker bottom base layer - 6 3/8 oz
    smartwool beanie - 1 7/8 oz
    buff - 1 3/8 oz

total of 3 lbs 5 oz

This will be for an end to end of the long trail from mid July to mid August. What should I swap out? What should I add? I also have a Zpacks poncho that I'm using for rain gear. I'm trying to get my pack weight down but still be comfortable. Any help is appreciated!

Images

I suggest you lose the big heavy down jacket AND the OR soft shell (28 ounces, gone!), way overkill for where/when you're going. Get a UL lightly insulated <7 ounce vest/sweater/jacket of some sort and a UL wind jacket (since you have a poncho for rain), many are under 3 ounces, total of 10 or so ounces, 18 ounces saved.

Just FWIW, when I did the LT this last late September, I had no extra "base layers" and never missed them. I wore zip off pants, a merino wool 1/4 zip long sleeve shirt, carried a 7 ounce down sweater and a Frogg Togg rainsuit ($20 and 11 total ounces), all the warmth I ever needed for fall, and therefore still probably too much for July / August.

Basically, and with due respect, you're way over packed on the clothing IMO.

Journal Entries

my clothing is about 16-27 oz lb most of the time, depending if bring a fleece

You have no glove liners.

I tend to just bring same gear all time, whether I think its needed or not. Im stupid that way.

I bet I havent used long johns or UL down puffy for anything but a pillow in last 20 nights on trail. But they are there when needed.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-13-2017 at 23:10.

That time of year and that location I would usually just take 2 t shirts, 1 decent weight long sleeve or fleece (not that heavy), light rain jacket. That's it.
    No beanie, down jacket, heavy layer, base layer, buff etc
    You could go 1 short and 1 light pant, or zip offs. I got 1 short for hike and 1 pant for evening

You're not ever going to be cold hiking late July or early august, and at night if you have an extra layer, pants, and your rain jacket or whatever else, you're completely fine. Just pick your sleeping bag/quilt as the correct temp.

Ilł be bringing my hammock gear burrow 20* quilt, neoair xlite, and Zpacks duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I suggest you lose the big heavy down jacket AND the OR soft shell (28 ounces, gone!), way overkill for where/when you're going. Get a UL lightly insulated <7 ounce vest/sweater/jacket of some sort and a UL wind jacket (since you have a poncho for rain), many are under 3 ounces, total of 10 or so ounces, 18 ounces saved.

Basically, and with due respect, you're way over packed on the clothing IMO.

Unless there's some integration of your apparel with your shelter or sleep system we don't note Rob called it. +1

Quote Originally Posted by FreshStart View Post
    Ilł be bringing my hammock gear burrow 20* quilt, neoair xlite, and Zpacks duplex.
    You basically have a gear list of an April AT thru-hiker. On that trail, my only clothing problems that time of year are having an extra tshirt to swap out while I ring the sweat out of my other one and lay it on a hot rock to dry. I have the exact same quilt. It's overkill that time of year, but I have used it on summer hikes a couple times. Not quite ideal (have to vent well and will wake up hot a few times probably), but certainly will make sure you can ditch a lot of your other warm gear

So you guys think I'll be cool with

one pair of extra socks and undies
    wind shirt
    lukes laundry shorts
    icebreaker 150 long sleeve
    some sort on long pants (any suggestions? Not a fan of zip offs)
    maybe a monbell ultralight down jacket if it's not overkill

then I'll be wearing a t shirt and shorts undies and socks

I was thinking of the base layers as my always dry stuff to sleep in but usually sleep in boxers and my shorts anyway. I'm new the the ultralight stuff, in the past my pack has been around 27-29 lbs loaded with food and water. I'm trying to be around 18-20 with a sub 10 base.

Probably wont need long pants. Go with shorts if you dont like zipoffs. If its cool, go to bed early.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Probably wont need long pants. Go with shorts if you dont like zipoffs. If its cool, go to bed early.
    I'd bring light long pants for bugs and maybe sun. Or maybe Smartwool long johns to wear under the shorts for the same. I expect they'd get used often enough.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++