WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Can you look over my shopping list for food?

Have these things in my cart so far and want to make sure they are good picks before I start changing the amounts in the cart to fill the box.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.37 AM.png

The first thing I saw are the Cliff bars. Cheaper in box of 12 off the shelf at Walmart. Verified in the last week.
    Pop Tarts? Really? Are you sure?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Natures Path pop tart clones. Gaggingly sweet. Expensive.
    Pop tarts? Really?
    Backpacking should be a healthy activity. Why negate the benefits with pop tarts, etc. ?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Any food allergies?

1) Some of the food is pretty weight heavy for the caloric density - peanut butter (or sun butter) are worth their weight, IMHO.
    2) You must really like pop-tarts!
    3) Interesting to have non-gmo oatmeal and so much other processed food - just an observation, not a judgement
    4) You may get better prices on Clif bars when bought in quantities larger than a 6-count box.

Any beverages? Coffee? Tea?
    Other snacks like nuts or jerkey?
    How about stuff like tortillas or pita bread?
    Any meal options? I usually make up some sort of ramen for lunch, for instance - easy to cook, good morale booster. I don't hike strictly to log miles, and enjoy taking a moment to take in the local flora/fauna is part of the experience for me. I also have a hot meal for dinner - usually something freeze dried.
    I like Clif bars... a lot, but find them to be pretty thirst inducing on the trail, and they are heavy for their caloric density, especially compared to their competetors like Lara bars and Kind. I usually plan for 2 per day and often come back with some uneaten ones. That said, I always run out of snickers snack size and love to munch on lemonheads as trail candy. Spree are good too, but too many make my mouth sore because of all the citric acid.

Just my $.02

EYOPT - eat your own pop tart

Single serving Mountain House freeze dried meals at Walmart are under $5. Decent selection and I can eat all of the flavors. I actually like several.
    Buying groceries in a grocery store ain't dead yet.
    The Nutella is a good choice. Don't know if the price is good or bad.
    Walmart has a great selection of dried fruits, nuts and seeds in the produce section. Almond and cashew butters too.
    I could shop for a week or a month backpacking trip at Walmart and my local grocery store.
    Wayne
    Wayne

some of that's ok.. but hopefully you're adding a lot of other good stuff so you can enjoy your food. a few examples:
    - pb wraps
    - pepperoni sticks
    - hard/old cheese keeps awhile
    - oatmeal
    - good dried fruits/nut mixes
    - freeze dried options

Ok. I got that off my chest.
    Your hike.
    Your food.
    Do as you please.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Leonidas

No honeybuns, not sure if serious.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

You will grow to hate those Clif bars. Trust me, I used to love them too and I've met other hikers that felt the same way.

Not to be nit picky but there's a lot of empty carbs there. Personally, I'd go for more healthy protein and fat.

Would be helpful to know what you are packing and buying for, how long?

There are several very good youtube videos with example backpacking food lists, packing examples, and the like. You may want to consider an overall approach for each day. Breakfast: Coffee + Pop tart or Coffee + oatmeal (I hate dehydrated eggs, yuck); mid-morning snacks (trail mix, protein bars, jerkey, etc.); Lunch: flour tortillas + peanut butter + jelly, crackers, etc. afternoon snack, Dinner (dehydrated cook (i eat 2 servings), tea). Map it out for each day. There is a tendency to bring way too much and too heavy. I usually bring a summer sausage to cut-up and put into a mac-n-cheese meal for 1 splurge.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Have these things in my cart so far and want to make sure they are good picks before I start changing the amounts in the cart to fill the box.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.11.37 AM.png

My first reaction was to check if this was posted in the humor section. Since it's not, I'd say do some serious research before you buy anything. Event if you are going non- cook, greatly increase your variety.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

All that stuff is readily available in stores along the way and as others said at the same or less money. More then a few want-a-be thru hikers have bought a 6 month supply of power bars only to end up having a 5.5 month supply of power bars rotting in a closet. I'll carry a power bar or Cliff bar, but will only eat it in an emergency.

Pop Tarts are a very popular hiker breakfast, but I personally prefer the iced honey buns or apple pie. 500 calories of pure sugar. Nutella is basically flavored sugar - look at the ingredient label. Your better off with peanut butter if your going to carry something heavy like that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Taste test. I have purchased several items that online menus repeat constantly. Knoor Sides and Tuna in Foil are two that fill food lists at WhiteBlaze. I personally can't eat the stuff. Pop Tarts, Little Debbie's and Snickers are on my rejected list as well.
    Conversely, there are folks who can't or won't eat oatmeal. I can eat oatmeal everyday and sometimes twice a day.
    Go Figure.
    I carry Cliff, Kind and Lara bars and rotate them. Actually, they are in a pocket of my pack and I reach in and pull out a surprise.
    I tend to nibble all day. Bars, M&Ms, jerky (Krave-various flavors), bag of nuts, dried fruit, etc. Freeze dried meal in the evening.
    Repeat and vary.
    I figured this stuff out at home. On the trail is too late.
    Wayne

Garlic
    Images

That is one huge load of sugar.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post

Some general comments:

-If you asking because you intend to buy in bulk prior to a long hike, I would suggest you check out information on resupplying in town as an alternative. It's almost impossible to tell what you will be in the mood to eat weeks or months a head of time and buying as you go will give you a lot more options. The link below is to a fairly up to date list of common resupply stops that will give you an idea of how frequently you will uave the opportunity to buy food.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1344

-Do you actually like the things that you have in those screenshots and could you eat them day in and day out? Before buying anything in bulk, buy a couple of boxes and see if you really want to eat them every day.

- If you buy in bulk then you're stuck with that food, regardless of whether you get sick of eating something, or if you end up getting off trail. To paraphrase Baltimore Jack "The last thing you want is to get back home and have 2000 poptarts laughing at you."

-When thinking about what you want to eat, remember that you will be doing constant physical activity on the trail and this changes what is palatable. Personally I could barely force myself to choke down another poptart of cliff bar on trail if I tried, they just aren't palatable to me in that situation.

-If you are going to buy in bulk, hold off until you have a good idea of what all practical options are. I buy most of my premade meals from Hawkvittles.com or from stuff I get directly from the grocery store. There really are a lot of possibilites.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Single serving Mountain House freeze dried meals at Walmart are under $5. Decent selection and I can eat all of the flavors. I actually like several....
    In my experience, the single serving size is kind of a cruel joke for a hungry hiker. It takes a two serving pack to make a decent supper and those are MUCH cheaper on Amazon. Some are less than $6 for a 2 serving pack.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

For the thru hiker freeze dried meals like Mountain House are way too expensive in the long run. Plus their really bulky to pack for more then a few meals. These things are geared more towards the weekend and week long section hiker. Most of the MH meals I've eaten were given to me by section hikes who for some reason didn't want to take the extras home. But there are places where that's all they have and you have little choice but to buy a couple.

I've eaten way too many Knorr sides with tuna, but its a cheap and readily available combo.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++