WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guthook questions

So I found and downloaded the app (looks AMAZING) and checked out the "free" map (AP). I checked out the price for the full AT and had a little bit of sticker shock but saw where there was a spot for a promo code. Has anyone ever used one for the app or is the $59 the running cost?
    Last edited by llittle_llama; 01-12-2017 at 10:44.

Are you referring to Guthooks AT Hike app?
    If so it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    Are you referring to Guthooks AT Hike app?
    If so it's worth it.

Yeah, I have no idea what's up with the thread title though. I just really want to find a promo code if possible before dropping the $59 if I can

I kind of doubt there is a promo code, but you don't need to buy the full set at once. Get them as you need them since there is always the chance (and a good chance at that) you won't need them all. Or just spend the $10 for the AWOL guide.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just get the AWOL guide. It's paper, does not require batteries or a signal. If you want an app, just get an offline topo app and download the trail's data file. You can add notes to either one and they are less than $20

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I have Guthooks App, found it to be an excellent companion to the AWOL guide on a recent section hike. The good thing about it is that once you download the map (s) you dont need cell reception for it to work. I dont remember paying $59 for it though, I got the app for free and paid 9 or 10 dollars for the section I was on. I plan on using it on my through hike but wont buy the sections until I need them.
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
    I have Guthooks App, found it to be an excellent companion to the AWOL guide on a recent section hike. The good thing about it is that once you download the map (s) you dont need cell reception for it to work. I dont remember paying $59 for it though, I got the app for free and paid 9 or 10 dollars for the section I was on. I plan on using it on my through hike but wont buy the sections until I need them.
    That does appear to be a sweet app. It is one segment for free and $8.99 each additional. Personally, I feel that much info takes away from my enjoyment. If you are the type that needs to have every detail now, that app really looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    That does appear to be a sweet app. It is one segment for free and $8.99 each additional. Personally, I feel that much info takes away from my enjoyment. If you are the type that needs to have every detail now, that app really looks great.
    No, the free app just shows the approach trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post

It's not so much about having every detail, it's about having the important ones. There is a crowdsource aspect to the app which allows other hikers to leave a log regarding water sources and other important aspects of the trail. For instance, when things heat up in the summer and water is drying up in the northern states, being able to confirm the reliability of water at a given source is a tremendous benefit.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

I've not looked into Guthooks too deeply...once I saw the total price I decided I didn't need it that bad...but it seems to me the Hikerbot app does a lot of the same things for free.

Has anyone been out hiking this month to see how the Water is flowing in GA?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MTmik View Post
    Has anyone been out hiking this month to see how the Water is flowing in GA?
    From the reports I've heard there are no issues with water, which is no surprise given the amount of rain that has fallen in the past month.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I find the ATHiker app very valuable for planning my section hikes - and having an indication of where water may or may not be. Plus the added weight of 0 ounces is nice.

ATHiker app and Hikerbot? I'll look into those in the AM

Images

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    ATHiker app and Hikerbot? I'll look into those in the AM
    The AT Hiker app is the Guthook Hikes (now can also be found under "Atlas Guides") that goes for $59. There is no additional promo code offered - The $59 is a discount for purchasing the entire trail at once. If you purchase each segment one at a time it is a lot more money.

I cannot comment on Hikerbot as I have never seen/used it. Guthooks was very helpful last season when water sources were drying up. It allows recent user comments (in the information section) and people were able to leave real-time updates regarding the water situation...I imagine people also left fire updates further south.

+1 on Guthook, just buy the section you need as you progress. If you don't progress, you aren't out too much $$.

The AWOL guide on PDF sounds like a winner, you can print out pages you need as you go or just use your phone. I think the posters with issues about font size on a phone are correct. It is a bit of a pain to pinch in to read, but you get used to it quickly enough. I wouldn't bother with the version in print, given the PDF availability...

YMMV. HYOH. DGL.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    DGL.
    No idea what this means, it's the first time seeing this acronym and looking it up gave results that were definitely not correct lol. As far as the total price of the Guthook I live about halfway through the AT and buying half of the maps (to at least get home) is about the same as buying it all so there doesn't seem much since in not buying it all at the start.

I do already have the PDF of the AWOL and I ordered the print as well so my wife would have a paper copy to look at and we could make notes on.
    Last edited by llittle_llama; 01-14-2017 at 15:54.

I used Guthook as an addon to the AWOL guide for my thruhike. I took AWOL's PDF with me and left the hardcopy at home. My family reported it was nice to be able to read about where I was. Guthook's helped a lot, especially the pictures and the user comments. We had water trouble late in the season, and I could look at user comments and the pictures, then make a guess as to the quality I'd be looking at. Most of the time I was correct. Saved me from running out a couple of times. Also, the GPS helped out on a really foggy day when I got off trail. Looked a the arrow on Guthook, moved back to where the trail was supposed to be and eventually found a blaze.

AWOL+Guthook.
    AWOL has better town info, guthook gives you current location and easy and quick mileage planning.
    Guthook is worth it, had a few people get it after hiking with me and seeing how useful it is

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

FWIW, I have always found the ATC maps to be a good resource finding water. It shows most all of the streams, creeks, rivers, and ponds of any size that the trail passes over, by, or near, as well as other standing water sources that may be a little distance from the trail itself.

While it has been raining a little this winter season and some of the inactive run off streams are running now, its not nearly enough to start recharging aquifers and standing water ponds/lakes, and rivers. In CT for example, most of the western half of the State is in extreme drought with an approximate 20" deficit. The story is similar up and down trail from here with some areas being less affected than others. Keep an eye on rainfall, the less of it there is, the further downhill you have to go for water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++