WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snow Peal Litemax stove shuts off

anyone have this problem - using my Snow Peal Litemax stove it will get progressively weaker as it heats a pot above it till it just shuts off.

a while later, after it has cooled down it starts and runs fine again till I try to heat something else.

what's going on?..

Possibly a bad needle valve, I wouldnt even fool with it, can you return?

Yes, I had that stove before I set off on my AT hike. Similar problem on my practice hikes. I went back to the Outfitter who contacted Snow Peak. I was using non-Snow Peak canister fuel. The company states in the directions to use SnowPeak canisters only. The Outfitter was kind enough to use my stove as a display model and I went with the MSR mini pocket rocket which I had no problems with GA-ME.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Possibly a bad needle valve, I wouldnt even fool with it, can you return?
    yeah, REI, so...

I don't know whether to exchange it for another of the same, or just cash out and start over. I have several other stoves that have mostly a pinpoint flame like a Bunsen Burner and was looking for one that dispersed the flame a little more.

I was also hoping for a little more wind resistance than the little 25gr BR3000T stove I sometimes use...

Lose it and get a Soto WindMaster!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've had no problems with my LiteMax using MSR canisters and loved it.

Can't understand why the brand of canister would make a difference. The all use the same valve... it's just the fuel mixture that is a little different.

For liability reasons, seems like almost every canister stove manufacturer says to only use their brand of canister.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
    Yes, I had that stove before I set off on my AT hike. Similar problem on my practice hikes. I went back to the Outfitter who contacted Snow Peak. I was using non-Snow Peak canister fuel. The company states in the directions to use SnowPeak canisters only. The Outfitter was kind enough to use my stove as a display model and I went with the MSR mini pocket rocket which I had no problems with GA-ME.
    of course Snow Peak would say that but supposedly everyone uses the Lindal valve so there should be no mechanical difference between canisters. I've had this happen with MSR and Jetboil canisters so I assumed it was the stove not the fuel. could I be wrong?..

Quote Originally Posted by B.j. Clark View Post
    Lose it and get a Soto WindMaster!
    thanks, I was thinking about that, or at least the Soto stoves in general. don't they have a new version?..

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've had no problems with my LiteMax using MSR canisters and loved it.

Can't understand why the brand of canister would make a difference. The all use the same valve... it's just the fuel mixture that is a little different.

For liability reasons, seems like almost every canister stove manufacturer says to only use their brand of canister.
    I know. but I've used this with 3 canisters of two different brands and it still does the same thing so I'm leaning to the stove as the culprit.

I don't mind using Gigapower fuel but any stove that won't work with the only canisters available is not one I want to hike with...

I've had trouble if I didn't get the burner screwed on real tight to the canister. It could be the valve or stem freezing up as the gas expands.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    yeah, REI, so...

I don't know whether to exchange it for another of the same, or just cash out and start over. I have several other stoves that have mostly a pinpoint flame like a Bunsen Burner and was looking for one that dispersed the flame a little more.

I was also hoping for a little more wind resistance than the little 25gr BR3000T stove I sometimes use...
    Optimus CruxLite has worked perfectly for me/us in over 250 miles...

It has a large head and dispersed flame pattern.
    https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/...imus-crux-lite

Never had the issue with the one Snow Peak Lite Max I've used for boiling 100's of pots of water using a varied assortment of canisters in temps between about 10* to 100*.

Bubbled over Velveeta as JPD dealt with on her first AT thru?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I know. but I've used this with 3 canisters of two different brands and it still does the same thing so I'm leaning to the stove as the culprit.

I don't mind using Gigapower fuel but any stove that won't work with the only canisters available is not one I want to hike with...
    Oh, I believe YOUR Lite Max stove has a problem.
    But based on my results and what I've heard about the stove in general, I would exchange it for another MaxLite.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

nice, a very well respected stove. I'll give it a look..

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

Do you know a weight on your stove is?
    When I put together a list of lightweight stoves and pots a few years ago, specs for the Crux Lite indicated 3.3oz, and that's the current spec listed at BackCountry.com.
    But the above website claims the weight is 72g which converts to 2.5oz.

Oh, I believe YOUR Lite Max stove has a problem.
    But based on my results and what I've heard about the stove in general, I would exchange it for another MaxLite.
    thanks, yes I'm certain it's my stove. I can use a different stove just fine on the same canister, or if I let the stove itself cool down it works perfectly. at least initially, but then it starts to slow down again like it's overheating and expanding to shut off the gas flow.

I do like the Litemax. at 1.9oz it's one of the lightest stoves available but it's also powerful and sturdy enough for 1L+ pots. I also have the little 25gr BRS3000T but it's pretty flimsy and I only use that with smaller cup-size pots.

I've had some good suggestions what to replace it with and right now, the SOTO Amicus seems interesting. it has the Windmaster wind-resistant head but with non-removable pot support, which a lot of people don't like. it also doesn't have the "regulator" valve, but it's lighter and much cheaper than the Windmaster.

it's only 2.6oz without igniter and I can get it for $32. the version with igniter is only $2 more-- http://www.campsaver.com/amicus-stove

Do you know a weight on your stove is?
    When I put together a list of lightweight stoves and pots a few years ago, specs for the Crux Lite indicated 3.3oz, and that's the current spec listed at BackCountry.com.
    But the above website claims the weight is 72g which converts to 2.5oz.
    My Optimus CruxLite weighs in at 74g, 2.6oz...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've had trouble if I didn't get the burner screwed on real tight to the canister. It could be the valve or stem freezing up as the gas expands.

I can't say that is the answer, but for me, that crosses all of the check boxes.

It is my humble observation. That all mfg, in their ongoing competition to make things weigh less and less, are going a bit too far.

For example:

If you would go into REI and compare The Snow Peak LiteMax TO the SnowPeak GigaPower you will see ( if you look hard enough )

That the SnowPeak LiteMax has a O Ring Up in the threads to seal the stove to the Lindel Valve of the canister.

The SnowPeak GigaPower has an O Ring PLUS a Flat Rubber Washer that makes a seal with the top of the canister. So you have 2 seals, One at the Lindel Valve and one at the top of the canister. Its a redundency, that probably does not come into play 99 out of 100 times ( my speculation ).

Hope that helps.

I use an old VARGO Titanium that resembles the LiteMax. VARGO no longer markets my particular stove.

I apologise for this long winded response.

I don't know if that is the issue, but it is a starting point.

Images

Well I was wrong, someone still markets the Vargo Titanium Stove with the o ring and the flat washer...........but its a whole 2 oz heavier then the SnowPeak.

http://www.moontrail.com/vargo-jet-ti-stove.php

Love my Gigapower GST-100, weighs in at 2.6oz. also.
    Great burner head, stable pot supports.
    Brass threading.

My only issue is opposite to the OP's. My flame tends to increase as the stove gets warms up.
    I prefer to heat on a low temp to save fuel thus I need to keep an eye on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++