WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    Ill just comment on pack size. To put things into perspective, I carry a 26L pack and I have everything I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry. I never understood the whole buying your gear prior to your pack so you could make sure everything fits mantra. I think people tend to fill their pack with all of the gear they have and then continue to purchase and fill the leftover space in their pack with things they don't really need. I say try buying the smallest pack you think you can get away with, shove a week's worth of food in it, and pack your essential gear. If there's room left after essentials are packed then use that extra space to bring along non-essential and luxury items.
    Pretty impressive guys! I think I'm being pretty realistic about what we need (you guys might see it differently!), which is why I thought I'd wait and see what size packs we needed. I bet it's more than 26-28, but hopefully it's not 65!! Good to know it can be done! I wouldn't mind seeing your gear lists?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry.
    28L? That's a day pack. I can do 28L for an overnighter in the middle of the summer when I know the weather is going to be good and I don't need much more then a light jacket, sleeping bag and some food. But for a 3 season thru hike, you need more stuff and the ability to leave town with up to 5-6 days worth of food. 60-65L is what most end up with.

I managed Harpers Ferry to NH with a 45L pack starting mid April last year, but resupply is frequent in that area and my comfort level was very marginal at the beginning. I was really wishing I had brought my 60L pack instead.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hey Pete, I'm new to AT hiking as well, but have already purchased most of my gear, and camped with it a few times to test it out. I went with the Nemo Nocturne 30 bag because it's not the traditional mummy shape, and has more room in the shoulder and knee area. It's really comfortable, and I think a 30 degree bag will be fine for you in May, June and beyond. I combined that with a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pad. I also have the ZPacks Arc Haul 55L pack, and love it! The arced frame keeps your back ventilated as advertised. Like you, I'm doing a flip flop hike starting the first week of May, probably at Harper's Ferry. Sounds like you do some sailing like me. Hope to see you on the trail in May!

Red, I've purchased most of my gear too, but unlike you, won't have much time to check it out before hiking. It's all waiting for us at a mail drop to be picked up on our way north. I bought 2 20* mummy bags but am planning on returning them (don't think I'll like the tight fit), and I got a double size EE quilt also in 20*. I asked Tyler at EE every which way what deg rating he recommended, and pointed out my planned timing, and every time he said 20. He should know, but I can't help thinking it's gonna be too much. Still considering changing it. I also got a couple of the light Costco down throw quilts which we'll use when it gets warmer. I looked at ZPacks, but like a lot of the smaller companies, no way to try them beforehand. I can try both the Osprey and the ULA, and right now I'm planning on using one of them, probably the Exos because of the ventilation, unless I or my wife REALLY like the ULA's. I have no schedule to meet, except get done before it gets too cold, and am planning on starting around the beginning of May, but hoping to start maybe at Waynesboro, weather permitting. We'll probably see you out there, but we'll be passing you heading south when we do because of the way we're doing it. And yea, when we're not in Abaco, we're living on the sailboat or the RV.
    Pete

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++