WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Children's inflatable water wings in a stuff sack as a cheap sleeping pillow. Supplement with a tee shirt or two for the proper level of softness. Very cheap and does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Children's inflatable water wings in a stuff sack as a cheap sleeping pillow. Supplement with a tee shirt or two for the proper level of softness. Very cheap and does the job.

And they make water crosing much safer !! ;0)

A cool whip container, a bowl, wash basin, carry crushable food items.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    The super ultralite version of this cheap hack: two balloons inside an onion mesh sack(commonly known as The Kardashian)
    Man, I wish this forum had a "like" button.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Safety pins. Use them to repair your clothes, as clothes pins on a piece of line between two trees and to hang my laundry off my pack while I hike. And to drain blisters.

Rubber bands - free without being greedy.

Long handled Dairy Queen plastic spoon - free, cut notches in it to make it into a long handled spork

Chopsticks - free, wooden, UL, found at any grocery store that sells sushi, makes me eat slower

Ziplocs - found 30 count XL Sandwich size box for $1 at Dollar Generals, double seal color changing seal when locked, thicker mil plastic not as prone to seam splitting as the cheap Walmart/Great Value(???) sandwich
    sized bags

Tuna packets in safflower oil at Wally World for .79 cts each

Occasionally note Lipton/Knorrs Sides 3 packs for $2(.67 cps each)

Polyester Champion and assorted other brand tees with side mesh panels for $4-8 each at Wally World

Carbon fiber golf clubs found at a Atlanta area Goodwill for $1 each. Nice synthetic or leather grips. Cut heads off and installed a rubber cap with epoxy. Caps were $1.29/two at HD. Epoxy I already had. Make fine trekking poles. They don't collapse but not hard to do that if wanted. Total cost for two trekking poles - under $5. 5.8 ozs each trekking pole. Find the thicker but slightly flexible shafts for this application.

Tarp poles made from same carbon fiber golf clubs. Four clubs made nice collapsable dedicated tarp poles. Interior ferrule aluminum insert tubes glued in with a bit of epoxy joined the sections. Bungeed the poles with caps on the two far ends. I was about to purchase 3 carbon fiber tarp poles for $135 total from two UL cottage gear manufacturers. These three cost me less than $15 total. Bought tent pole hardware from Tent Pole technologies. http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?page_id=671 Quest Outfitters also has many of the same tent pole components. - http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_...m#TENT%20POLES

Found Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket, one of the earlier versions, for my nephew for $35 also at a Goodwill.

Recycled down also can be found at Goodwill stores that can make a nice DIY apparel or sleeping quilt/bag piece. Or, used for repairs.

On $10 inflatable pool toy raft got across the Colorado River twice - in a calmer area. Weight was 10 oz. Some could make an inflatable sleeping mattress in a pinch.

Tulle or nanoseeum fabric can be bought at various outfitters that specialize in components or at JoAnn Fabrics that make great bug tents or bug hanging screening at a fraction of manufactured versions.

$2 Dollar store flip-flops for camp and water shoes. These were bought for others as I don't need separate camping shoes. Jelly ones were a hit with the nieces.

Makes up some for the $$$ cuben fiber, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Pataqonia, Western Mountaineering, Valandre, Katabatic and especially shoes money I've spent.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Safety pins. Use them to repair your clothes, as clothes pins on a piece of line between two trees and to hang my laundry off my pack while I hike. And to drain blisters.
    And to hold a wound together long enough to get to rescue and have stitches...just sayin...

My pack (old Kelty Santa Fe 4000) weighed in just over 5 lbs. removed hood, 3 metal inserts, and the hard plastic and extra padding. It now weighs about 2 and I still have a bit more to go without sacrificing the strength/integrity. It's actually even more comfortable. Not bad, bought it for 50-ish (I think) a while back.
    2 razor blades to cut open packages/slice and dice food - no knife.
    small Bic lighter
    Mess kit is a Walmart aluminum mess kit pot and lid, plastic cup, bowl and a plastic spork. That's all I need and worked great! $6 bucks total!
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Cut the bottom off of a 1 liter water bottle 4-5 years ago and have been using the same piece for my spring water dip cup.
    I forgot about that. I did the same thing but with the bottom of a narrow gatorade bottle. It's perfect size to hold my filter

The $1.00 T-Shirt I bought at the Pearisburg Goodwill after LASHing up from Damascus in six days last July. I brought zero extra clothes on that hike other than a Houdini jacket. Just that and the shorts, socks, and shirt I was wearing (actually hiked mostly shirtless). Anyway, it's a really nice synth blend "Hinton Railroad Days" shirt that fits just right and is super soft and comfy. It's my favorite t-shirt now!

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    The super ultralite version of this cheap hack: two balloons inside an onion mesh sack(commonly known as The Kardashian)
    I see what you did there.

Images

Cut the sleeves and legs off of a tyvek suit, and use them as stuff sacks, also use 1 sleeve as a rock bag for my bear hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Not trying to be preachy, but my #1 dirt cheap (actually free, and no way to make it lighter) piece of "UL" gear (in my case, perhaps lighter than many others) is my brain and with it the ability to realize what you just plain don't need on the trail (knives, guns, extra shoes, pots and pans, tons of clothing, etc, etc).

McDonald's McFlurry spoon...can be made into a McSpork!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Not trying to be preachy, but my #1 dirt cheap (actually free, and no way to make it lighter) piece of "UL" gear (in my case, perhaps lighter than many others) is my brain and with it the ability to realize what you just plain don't need on the trail (knives, guns, extra shoes, pots and pans, tons of clothing, etc, etc).
    True this, hardheadedness weighs a lot. (Or emptyheadedness does, anyway.) So too does extra body fat, but we won't get into that for now.

I like some of the dirt cheep ideas here! I only ever shop at thrift stores, so my entire get-up remains dirt cheep.

if you double up the "clothes line" and twist it you don't need clothes pegs.
    Something like this (without the mitten hooks...)
    clothes line.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    And to hold a wound together long enough to get to rescue and have stitches...just sayin...
    I would love to know how much of an expert you would be trying that bit of "wisdom".

Trash bag can be : Ground sheet, stuff sack, rain wear, emergency bivy

IMG_25600115_074509.jpg

My son brought one of these home from school.
    They call them "Finger flashlights" here in Thailand.
    Very bright and can be attached to a stick or any small item.
    I think it will replace my photon II microlight as it is easier to attach it to something in the correct direction.
    Weight? I don't have have scale but it is probably less than a quarter of an oz. (about the same as the Photon II)

What else? I have an aluminum spoon that has a handle that is knifelike that I also found in Thailand.
    They also have tiny containers of tiger balm here that I carry for mosquito and other insect bites.
    Also dried mango and fairly big dried shrimp. (I dried a lb of elk burger before I left PA also last month)

Just bought a "Burn" backpack.
    I'll be dropping close to a lb for my upcoming hike!
    Yay!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2EZ View Post
    I would love to know how much of an expert you would be trying that bit of "wisdom".
    Yeah I would some crazy glue before I used a safety pin.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++