WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Awesome! I thought I had to get it in advance. I really appreciate the heads up
    you can get it before you start as long as you will enter the smokies within 30 days of getting the permit. but yeah, you can get it "on trail" at a couple places just before entering. you must print a permit.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    you can get it before you start as long as you will enter the smokies within 30 days of getting the permit. but yeah, you can get it "on trail" at a couple places just before entering. you must print a permit.
    Rangers don't care if it's printed. You can show it to them on your phone as long as they can get the #.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I wonder how many of these tags break off and are left on the side of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I wonder how many of these tags break off and are left on the side of the trail.
    If I'm able to get one I'll more than likely find some way to "rebuild" it so that it's a permanent item on my pack that will never break off

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    I don't think we need Baxter permits and the smokies can be registered for on trail FYI
    Baxter began requiring permits for thrus in 2016. No cost and no limit, but registration must be done in person.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....unce_Final.pdf

Default Hard copy of permit required when you enter the park; only permit # required after

Although you don't absolutely have to show the rangers in the Smokies a hard copy of your permit (a screenshot will suffice, provided it's not so cold your phone won't work and you don't mind using up battery), you do need to deposit a portion of the hard-copy permit in the permit box when you enter the park.

The online permit only provides an estimate of when you will reach the park. The only way the park knows when you have actually entered the park is by providing the designated portion of your permit when you enter the Smokies (at Fontana Dam for nobos and Davenport Gap for sobos).

Laurie P.
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 01-12-2017 at 19:14.

I registered a few weeks ago, but did not receive a tag. Would carry it if I had one!

Images

If you are looking to get the Baxter permit in advance, it can be obtained at the AT Visitor's Center, in Monson, ME. That is the last trail town before you enter the 100 Mile. It looks like the proposed hours of operation (for 2017) are 8-11am & 1-5pm. They are subject to change. No need to worry about the permit at this point because Baxter is not issuing them this far in advance.

How long did it take to arrive? I registered 12/31/16
    Instagram | SnapChat - @b_willly

I talked to our southern office in Asheville, NC a couple of days ago to find out how long it takes to send out the backpack tags for registered 2017 thru-hikers. Usually it takes 2-3 weeks to get it under the best circumstances. Over the holidays a backlog developed so it may be longer. Outside of peak season, they wait until a large enough batch develops to make it efficient to send out.

If you register 2 weeks or less before you leave, or live outside the U.S., you will just be emailed materials, and you can pick up the backpack hang tag at Amicalola Falls (after March 3) or from a ridgerunner, or at ATC in Harpers Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    Just taking a casual poll, for those of us that registered through the ATC we got a yellow they hiked tag we can display on our pack. Just wanted to see how many planned on displaying it.
    Sorry that should say *thru hiker tag

Journal Entries
    Images

I do think you need to do it in advanced now! I heard that there may. Ot be rangers at the smokies to get one

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    I do think you need to do it in advanced now! I heard that there may. Ot be rangers at the smokies to get one
    If you're referring to the Thru Hiker Permit for GSMNP, you can't get it more than 30 days in advance of the day you enter the park. It's good for 8 days, once you actually "activate" it by entering and leaving a copy in the box.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++