WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Ha, ha - that's true for the 2013 hike, the subject of the video. However I did the same hike a year later in 2014 and captured this:

Attachment 37879
    Nice. I was actually wondering about birds, as I always see them, even in winter. Since enjoy bird watching, I often take pictures of them just to be able to tell what species I saw.

Thinking of N bound through starting Wednesday.

Thom

On the NPT . Blaze orange I guess would be in order this time of year

I would definitely bring blaze orange on the NPT now. I usually wear at the least a hat and sometimes a vest which I drape over my pack. Also avoid white clothing such as shirts, buffs, or ball caps. You will have a great time and the colors of the trees should be amazing in the southern section.

LT is much harder, diverse, and scenic. NPT is basically a pancake of low elev more than 1/2 as short. If you dont plan on adding in the AD High Peaks the NPT is a cake walk with plenty of water but not so much else. The NPT does have some solitude though. although everyone has different priorities of what makess something better IMHO the better hike is the LT...hands down.

The LT is a mountain trail, NP is a valley trail; very different from each other. LT is overly maintained, NP, not so much. And looks can be deceiving. The NP is a tough little runt. It climbs one ridge to a height of 3,000' and that's the worst of it. However, it battles you with mud, rocks and roots and all of this is slippery and makes for slow going when wet.

There are only four road crossings on the NP and you will have to walk 2-3 miles into Long Lake and Blue Mt. Lake Villages to re-supply at the PO. The trail goes right past the PO in Piseco. The store is closed in Piseco and the nearest town is Speculator which is about 10 miles away. The are two long sections of 35+ miles between road crossings. Cell coverage is spotty.

The mud in the NP gets deeper than on the LT, in some places you may end up fighting it to pull your boots out. On the LT, mud is mostly just sloppy.

I've done the NP once, and the LT a handful of times, so obviously I have a favorite. However the remoteness Capt. photon mentions, the great chances to swim in lakes, and the more frequent wildlife sightings are all in the plus column for the NP. Miles also come much easier on the NP, if I was in shape to average 15 mile days on the LT, I'd be doing 20s on the NP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++