WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Carrying a rain jacket and a wind shell?

Is anyone bringing both a rain jacket and a wind shell? I have an OR Helium that I've had for a few years and hardly used, but recently got a gift certificate to REI and impulse bought a patagucchi Houdini.

Thoughts?

Images

I do. The wind shell/shirt is a versatile piece of kit for me. Uses include the obvious, and I pull it on at rest breaks, camp set up/break down, meal prep, use it as an additional sleep layer if needed, pull it on for those late night trips to the bushes. Rain jacket for me is for the rain.

Marmot DriClime Wind Shirt
    Frog Toggs Rain Jacket
    Last edited by Furlough; 01-04-2017 at 22:17.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Typically there is no need for both. If it's so windy you need a wind shell or if you just need to trap body heat, the rain jacket will suffice. I hike in a Dickie work shirt unless it's wicked hot out and that's enough of a wind shell for most situations.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Not seeing the usefulness of a wind shell that does not serve as a rain jacket. I have used my rain jacket at moments that I wanted warmth, even slept in them. I have also used a emergency $1 poncho for warmth when it was not raining. In short wind shells are great if they can double as rain jackets, and you can leave your other rain jacket at home.

At one time I did carry both because I was new to backpacking and both were light. It was the case that I had both so I brought both. Never did I see a difference between the two except in the extra weight and bulk.

With all that said pit zips ( or in case of frogg toggs, pit cuts) in the rain jacket can make all the difference.

Helium and Houdini sound like nicknames for wing suit flyers.

How long have you had the OR Helium? Is it the Helium or Helium II version? The earliest versions were not seam taped and were not fully WP despite the iffy marketing or consumers implying such. The Helium II is indeed a WP rain jacket. On the AT wearing both the OR helium II and Patagonia Houdini Jacket together IMO might be doable in regard to comfort during the colder wetter shoulder season periods...early spring late fall.

What works for you will depend on your gear goals.

Yes, I have layered the OR Helium II rain jacket over the Pat Houdini Wind Jacket but not typically in the east and not above 50* day time highs. Too humid for this combo other than during those periods but might get away with it in ME, NH, southern Montreal and Quebec areas.

My typical goals for this combo is a gram weenie/SUL wt saving one that offers great versatility.

You're going to get very mixed opinions about rain wear her on WB. Good luck sorting it all out.

My typical goals for this combo is a gram weenie/SUL wt saving one that offers great versatility.

In this regard there are lighter wt options than this combo.

I am going with a wind shirt for this year's thru hike attempt.

Yes, I will also carry a rain jacket. The wind shirt acts as an insulator for my base layer, allowing me to forgo carrying a 10-12 oz fleece layer for warmth over my merino.

I think it it meets a great need for the thru hiker as a happy medium before having to weight and bulk up to something heavier, I.e. The R-1 for the cold season.

For the weight, it can't be beat.
    Happy Trails.
    EZ

Images

I carry both. Typically I wear the windshirt when it's cool and blustery -- it breathes well and keeps me warmer than wearing, say, a fleece pullover. I find my rain shell does not breathe well enough while hiking unless it's very cold out, and I sweat a lot. So for me they do two separate functions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Initially I figured I'd bring my Helium 2 and use it for both, but a few people extolled the virtues of a wind shirt and I was curious. I would not use the two in conjunction with one another

I hiked with my Marmot soft-shell(Schoeller windproof) under my rain jacket/hardshell Monday. It worked fine, if a little heavy. I never take it on the AT. Instead I take a polypro zip-t of a weight suitable for the season and use my hardshell as my wind/rain pro. I find the polypro warmer under the hardshell and in the bag at night. YMMV.

Marmot Precip jacket and pants serve both purposes for me.

I also carry both, although my rain jacket is a Frog Toggs. It is amazing how a wind shirt can capture heat, ward off wind at such a low weight. Mine is a MH Ghost, it's very versatile, hiking, biking, snowshoeing.

I recently starting toating two wind shells instead of a full blown shell/rain jacket.
    The Houdini is a great wind shell and is my main jacket/mid, sheds light rain. I layer it with a Feathered Friends Jackorack that is waterproof( by standards-not really) and I have a sub 8oz rain combo.
    Pair that with an umbrella. Been great on my last few wet hikes and think it would be a keeper on a long hike as well.

Both...
    I'm UL...2017 AT thru in prep
    Old Montane Featherlight Smock windshirt 3 oz. (these are still sold under a slightly different incarnation)
    Montbell Versalite rainshell 6.7 oz
    Windshirt blocks wind over baselayer or insulating layer or both, breathes much better than the rain jacket and with a collar and zip neck for venting
    Rain Jacket shell for more stationary warmth worn over the windshirt and baselayer/insulation, or in colder or wetter conditions while moving
    Total weight close to or less than most Rainshells alone, way more versatility
    my $00.02...
    YMMV

Another vote for both with a slight caveat. It is my only moving top for most 3 season conditions other than a synth or merino t-shirt and it is an older highly breathable houdini. I don't take a long sleeve hiking shirt, a light fleece(until shoulder season), or a long sleeve baselayer. Sometimes folks who don't like wind shirts have one or more of these with them which when combined with a rain shell meet all of the same needs(for some people and conditions even better). I really consider my windshirt to be a hooded trekking shirt. I have even layered it under a rain shell successfully.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2EZ View Post
    I am going with a wind shirt for this year's thru hike attempt.

Yes, I will also carry a rain jacket. The wind shirt acts as an insulator for my base layer, allowing me to forgo carrying a 10-12 oz fleece layer for warmth over my merino.
    This. Rain jacket + windshirt makes having a "mid-layer" like a light fleece unnecessary.

BTW, if you're unsure about your Helium, pick up a Frogg Toggs, O2 Rainshield, or the like jacket to save a few more ounces. Those jackets are perfect for a well-maintained trail like the AT My O2 Rainshield + Houdini combo weighs less than most hikers' rain jackets alone.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

just rain jacket. otherwise, redundant.

Overkill and somewhat duplicative, just depends on how important your base pack weight is to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWorksHard View Post
    Overkill and somewhat duplicative, just depends on how important your base pack weight is to you.
    My base pack weight means a "ton" to me, but a windshirt is not "duplicative" enough to leave it behind in 3 season backpacking, especially carrying a sub 7 oz rainshell.
    The windshirt does too many things the rainshell cannot.

Images

Just the rain jacket.

My AntiGravityGear rain jacket weighs only 5.5 ounces in size large, with pit zips! It works as a wind breaker, rain shell, and final layer for those miserably cold breezy days. At $99 it's pretty tough to beat...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++