WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default March Section Hike

I would like to spend around 10 to 14 days section hiking on the AT in early March and would like some input. I live in Ohio so I would like to start somewhere North of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park around the I40 area. I usually section hike in the warmer months and would like some input as far as what to expect for weather conditions as well as water supplies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

be prepared for snow and cold

I would start at Duncannon and hike south. It's 125 miles to Harpers Ferry, probably one of the easiest 125-mile contiguous stretch of the entire AT. Depending on your pace, it's another 54 miles to US 522 outside Front Royal, a logical stopping point.

There are two advantages for this stretch in early March: (1) the elevations are lower and thus temperatures are not as cold as in the higher elevations further south, and (2) there are plenty of bail-out points should the weather turn nasty or if you have an emergency.

Not all hiker facilities (hostels, etc.) will be open, so purchase a 2017 ALDHA Companion and study it for this section.

As Lone Wolf says, you could have cold weather and snow but if that's your time schedule, go for it!

Thanks for the input!

With the wild gyrations in the weather and temperatures this season, hard to predict what will happen in March. Just remember, March comes in like a lion and we've seen some really nasty storms this year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A good starting point would be Standing Bear Farm if you want to be pretty close to I-40. From there I think Erwin is roughly 30+ miles. You could probably resupply there and determine how much further you can go based on time and pace. Have an awesome trip!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Hot Springs is 30+ miles and Erwin is about 60 miles from there.We get some wicked snowstorms in early March.Here's some pics from 3-22 a few years ago.041.JPG027.JPG021.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Hot Springs >>>> Watauga Lake! Awesome section, even in Winter. You go through a few Alpine sections and some beautiful balds! Highly recommend this hike to anyone. I just did it for the second time this year. Started at the end of November and finished mid-December with a friend who drove down from Cleveland. He said it only took him 7/8 hours to get there.

Just make sure to pack your cold weather clothes. You should have a good time regardless.

I was thinking about doing two nights just south of Harpers ferry (Snickers Gap) going into HF one weekend in March just to check out a few last minute items. I'm not thinking of a long hike (20 to 25 miles at the most) - since I'm doing a flip flop starting north from HF in mid April, can that very small trip count as part of the hike and start the SOBO portion skipping that small section I do in March?

Don't forget the crampons!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    I was thinking about doing two nights just south of Harpers ferry (Snickers Gap) going into HF one weekend in March just to check out a few last minute items. I'm not thinking of a long hike (20 to 25 miles at the most) - since I'm doing a flip flop starting north from HF in mid April, can that very small trip count as part of the hike and start the SOBO portion skipping that small section I do in March?
    sure, why not?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    Of course it does. Have a great hike!

++ New Posts ++