WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Poles make the day easier and safer.

As some have already mentioned, the SPOT is not really a huge benefit on the AT...you'll have plenty of people around 90% of the time. I have a small PLB which I carry in the plane and I would absolutely carry it on the CDT or the PCT, but I'm leaving it behind this March on the AT. (I know that was a lot of acronyms)
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Thanks everyone! I am currently shopping for poles... I have never really used them before... I just power through... I am very determined. LOL

As for the PLB or Spot, I have decided to forego despite my compatriots that I will be leaving are worried about me... I just keep telling them the same thing everyone has mentioned about this topic. Honestly, no one really gets it and that is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    One of the concerns I have about devices that don't provide tracking is that it is impossible to verify their accuracy and performance in variety of conditions. Having Spot 3 I have a lot more chances to explore its limitations (and complain about it too!)
    Happy Spot3 owner here - Just remember when you look at the Spot data plotted on the map or aerial, look at where the points hit, not the interpolated (connect the dots) lines when judging accuracy. The points are the actual measured locations, the lines are just connected dots. The more tracking points you record, the higher resolution your track will be and the closer the connect-the-points line will be to your actual track.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    Just my 2 cents:
    I like my Delorme (Now Garmin) InReach. I use it as a 2 way SOS device, not so much as a GPS on the AT. You can send and receive text messages...

And my Walmart Trekking poles have gone about 1000 miles with no problems. I would not hike without poles now that I have used them for a couple years. Felt silly as hell first, then I realized my knees felt great.
    I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless.. i am a wanna-be hiker who is just getting started collecting my gear.. i have the AT and the Camino de Santiago on my bucket list.. i walk around here, but in south Tx, it is pretty much flat terrain.. i plan to do some hikes up in and around the Hill Country, but, as I said, i'm just getting started... walmart also has a light back-packer's sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees.. do you know anything about that one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, the hill country that might include Lost Maples SP is really not going to give you much of an idea of the trail overall, but might help you make the decision on poles. If you opt to get a set of these, which I use routinely as do many here, I advise people to take the time to look in a gear shop like REI or other place that has a fairly broad assortment of this equipment so you can handle each type of pole before you decide on one type. You may find some gear retailers will rent equipment you can try as well.

While the lower end poles at Walmart are attractively priced, they may not include the level things you would find attractive if you knew of them, like padding on the wrist straps so you avoid rubbing your wrist raw, or the gauge of materials used to build the pole/grips/locking mechanisms that may not stand up well. There are some poles at Walmart that are higher end so if thats an option, look at both closely and you will probably see the differences between them and be able to make a better informed decision.

Hello neighbor! I'm in NE Texas.
    If you want some good practice, take your loaded pack and go walk up and down Enchanted Rock. You can also hike around the rock to backcountry campsites.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Happy Spot3 owner here - Just remember when you look at the Spot data plotted on the map or aerial, look at where the points hit, not the interpolated (connect the dots) lines when judging accuracy. The points are the actual measured locations, the lines are just connected dots. The more tracking points you record, the higher resolution your track will be and the closer the connect-the-points line will be to your actual track.
    I compared locations reported by my Spot3 against two of my Garmin gps units - eTrex 30 and eTrex Vista HCX that I usually carry with me for trail mapping. My impression is that my Spot3 has become better as of late but I had some grossly incorrect locations in the past. This is why I like to use tracking - it is easier to weed out bad data points and for someone to guess what I might be up to in the woods.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lesliedgray View Post
    I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless..
    I started with aluminium poles and later upgraded to carbon fiber. Walmart trekking poles are probably cheapest thing you can buy but once you swing them all day long you will begin to appreciate every ounce that you don't need to carry with you.

I also prefer to have external locking mechanism (my first set of poles had internal screw-in locks that froze) and I like to use them for firm footing while descending so I didn't want to get ones that are shock absorbing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bkristynicole View Post
    As for the PLB or Spot, I have decided to forego despite my compatriots that I will be leaving are worried about me... I just keep telling them the same thing everyone has mentioned about this topic. Honestly, no one really gets it and that is okay.
    If you decide to forego PLB or Spot then do yourself a favor and get some app for your phone that can work with off-line maps, so that you can figure out where you are in case you go off trail and somehow get lost where there is no cell phone service (it happens to hikers from time to time.) Personally I have OsmAnd+ on my Android phone but I also see postings from happy users of Backcountry Navigator or Guthook.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    I started with aluminium poles and later upgraded to carbon fiber. Walmart trekking poles are probably cheapest thing you can buy but once you swing them all day long you will begin to appreciate every ounce that you don't need to carry with you.

I also prefer to have external locking mechanism (my first set of poles had internal screw-in locks that froze) and I like to use them for firm footing while descending so I didn't want to get ones that are shock absorbing.
    I will probably try the poles with the external locking button.. i have searched and read much about poles and find that they can be cheap, reasonable and crazy expensive.. i was in REI a couple weeks ago but did not think to try out some of their piles.. i looked through them a little, but did not actually try them.... i try to buy quality when i can, but, also appreciate that some items may serve their purpose for less $$. I am sure that after a few treks i will hone my preferences a bit.. i plan to do a couple sections of the AT this year, starting from the southern end..
    we plan to retire this year and move to NE Tenn, not far from the AT .. i will have easy access then

REI is a good place to try poles at. You can see the difference in the swing between a carbon and aluminum pole. If you have any notion of using your poles as tent poles, be sure to get the most adjustable poles possible...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    REI is a good place to try poles at. You can see the difference in the swing between a carbon and aluminum pole. If you have any notion of using your poles as tent poles, be sure to get the most adjustable poles possible...just sayin...
    Good tip..

I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless.. i am a wanna-be hiker who is just getting started collecting my gear.. i have the AT and the Camino de Santiago on my bucket list.. i walk around here, but in south Tx, it is pretty much flat terrain.. i plan to do some hikes up in and around the Hill Country, but, as I said, i'm just getting started... walmart also has a light back-packer's sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees.. do you know anything about that one?

If that is the Ozark Trails black/orange bag, yep. It isn't a true 40, more like a +45. That said, for the size, weight and price, it is a fine bag, especially with a liner. My son used it with a liner(only when needed a couple of nights when it was damp and chilly) for a week on the AT and was fine with it. He doesn't like down when it gets warmer and we already had the liner...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    If that is the Ozark Trails black/orange bag, yep. It isn't a true 40, more like a +45. That said, for the size, weight and price, it is a fine bag, especially with a liner. My son used it with a liner(only when needed a couple of nights when it was damp and chilly) for a week on the AT and was fine with it. He doesn't like down when it gets warmer and we already had the liner...just sayin...
    Good to know.. i have a liner already, and wondered if i would be ok with liner and that bag.. i am somewhat of a cold sleeper anyway ( i'm cold at 60 degrees) and i, no doubt, would be sleeping in a warm base layer with some thick socks.. i have also found a Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0 degree down SB on Amazon for 150.00. I am thinking about it, also..I have been researching brand, quality and prices on the gear that i think that i would need, and 500 bucks for a sleeping bag is way out of my range.

I've used Walmart poles, both rubber and cork handles. I like the cork way more than the rubber... just feels and grips better with all the sweat. I've broken one pole in a stumble, but I've met several people who broke their high dollar Leki's, too, so doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Good to know.. i have a liner already, and wondered if i would be ok with liner and that bag.. i am somewhat of a cold sleeper anyway ( i'm cold at 60 degrees) and i, no doubt, would be sleeping in a warm base layer with some thick socks.. i have also found a Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0 degree down SB on Amazon for 150.00. I am thinking about it, also..I have been researching brand, quality and prices on the gear that i think that i would need, and 500 bucks for a sleeping bag is way out of my range.

You won't be ok with a liner and that bag at 35 degrees....its a summer-only AT bag with liner.

0 degrees is overkill for the AT, IMHO. You should be OK with a 20 degree bag, even as a cold sleeper, especially if you bring a liner. You can always add clothes, gloves, hat, etc...if it gets cold in the bag. Add raingear as a next-to-last resort...

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

These got me thru:

Life360 - it's an app for your phone so others can see where you are. Peace of mind for loved ones.
    Gossamer Gear LT4 poles - super light and doubled as my tent poles, but expensive. Awesome customer service and they replace if broken.
    John GoodMan

I've used some Walmart poles and I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without them. I wouldn't carry a GPS but that's just me. Plenty of service to send a text or 2. I think I sent a few about every day to my family to let them know things were going ok (or not).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a caretaker at the cabin at Upper Goose pond 1540 from Springer. 9 out of 10 hikers who get that far are using poles. As far as a tracking device, I don,t think one is needed.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++