WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Blogs and Vlogs

Default Blogs and Vlogs

What are the blogs, vlogs, or journals that you have found of 2017 thru hikers?

I haven't seen many out there yet.

Happy Trails!
    EZ

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by 2EZ View Post
    What are the blogs, vlogs, or journals that you have found of 2017 thru hikers? I haven't seen many out there yet. Happy Trails! EZ
    This topic tends to come up every year around this time. Even if a hiker starts with a great account of their journey, they often peter out en route. It's tough to know who will continue to tell or produce a good story, given the demands of thru-hiking. I follow eagerly, but usually find myself disappointed in short order. Let's hope 2017 is different! In the meantime I'll stick to the stories told in full, those from previous years. It's generally not hard to find them, since Trail Journals (and such) has a listing of how many entries a hiker has posted.

The very best is Trailjournals.org. The people who will follow your journal sometimes will provide actual support when you need it most. A good journal can improve your hike.

Default Blogs and Vlogs

I'd love to use trailhournals.com , but I have yet to find a phone version of of it. I've tried the desktop version but it's too small for me on my phone screen. any help?

I have one for '17 up on The Trek, formally Appalachian Trials

https://thetrek.co/author/rhys-hora/

Postholer.com also has a journal site. That is what I've used & will continue to use in the future. I could easily make entries on my phone via emails. I couldn't figure out how to do that on TrailJournals.

Full disclosure: I'm not very techie. I could be the end user (me) and not the website.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I have one set up, it's linked in my signature. Train up hikes on my youtube channel have to slow down for a couple weeks and I am working out on my exercise bike for now. I have to put a few extra hours of work in to make sure the funds are there for the hike itself. But there will be more coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    This topic tends to come up every year around this time. Even if a hiker starts with a great account of their journey, they often peter out en route. It's tough to know who will continue to tell or produce a good story, given the demands of thru-hiking. I follow eagerly, but usually find myself disappointed in short order. Let's hope 2017 is different! In the meantime I'll stick to the stories told in full, those from previous years. It's generally not hard to find them, since Trail Journals (and such) has a listing of how many entries a hiker has posted.
    I talked with Nate from Between the Blazes on Youtube (Viking of the Hiking Vikings in 2015) and he said that documenting on the trail is one thing that takes up a lot of time. I made a video of our talk, the part about documenting starts at 16:14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_kG_bC27M

That got me thinking about how I will document my hike, I may post pics or a text post daily but put videos out weekly or bi-weekly so I can focus on enjoying the hike. Not sure yet though, I will probably figure it out as I go.
    Keep up with my pre-train for my 2017 thru hike, and the planned thru hike, starting in March, at escapingtheoffice.com

Don't doubt what your body can accomplish, it can do more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by jekerdud View Post
    I have one set up, it's linked in my signature. Train up hikes on my youtube channel have to slow down for a couple weeks and I am working out on my exercise bike for now. I have to put a few extra hours of work in to make sure the funds are there for the hike itself. But there will be more coming soon!

I talked with Nate from Between the Blazes on Youtube (Viking of the Hiking Vikings in 2015) and he said that documenting on the trail is one thing that takes up a lot of time. I made a video of our talk, the part about documenting starts at 16:14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_kG_bC27M

That got me thinking about how I will document my hike, I may post pics or a text post daily but put videos out weekly or bi-weekly so I can focus on enjoying the hike. Not sure yet though, I will probably figure it out as I go.

Thanks for the link. Loved the Hiking Vikings and their video blog. Like you I am still not married to blogging because of the fear that it may distract from the experience/hike rather than add to it. I agree HYOH and figure it out as you go.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

I'm pretty committed to writing my trail journal not just for everyone else but mostly for myself to look back on and to reference if I decide to build my own site in the future.

http://www.trailjournals.com/Whompus/

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Postholer.com also has a journal site. That is what I've used & will continue to use in the future. I could easily make entries on my phone via emails. I couldn't figure out how to do that on TrailJournals.
    I am very committed to keeping a daily journal on-line so that my family knows my whereabouts. After researching many of the options, I have to agree with CarlZ993. I have an account started with TrailJournals, and while it is the most popular option, the interface is archaic. The Postholer.com email update is pretty slick, but it limits you to one picture per email. Additional pictures have to be added manually.

So, I plan to send a daily email to my OnthegO account at Postholer to auto-post, and "cc" my daughter on the email. She will also post the entry to my WordPress web site with the additional pictures that I designate and that she can access through my iCloud backup account. In addition to my regular blog post, I have created a page at www.dennisonthego.com/at-thru-hike that will serve as an index with chronological links (oldest first) to each journal entry. All of my "Pre-Hike" blogs are already indexed on that page.

Hopefully, this set-up will overcome many of the limitations inherent in each of the journaling options.

++ New Posts ++