WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had a very cold and windy hike in SNP over the weekend where I wished I'd had a hood. My partner had one and was pretty doggone happy about it. In the end, it was so cold and windy that we decided to bail on the plan to spend the night and start hitching back to the car. When it is that cold and windy, there is no combination of hat and gaiter/buff that work as well as a hood. Of course, some combination of those things is more than adequate the vast majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by marilandica View Post
    I had a very cold and windy hike in SNP over the weekend where I wished I'd had a hood. My partner had one and was pretty doggone happy about it. In the end, it was so cold and windy that we decided to bail on the plan to spend the night and start hitching back to the car. When it is that cold and windy, there is no combination of hat and gaiter/buff that work as well as a hood. Of course, some combination of those things is more than adequate the vast majority of the time.
    No rain or wind jacket w/ a hood carried?

Given that I carry a warm hat, usually a lightweight balaclava which can be worn numerous ways for different degrees of warmth, why would I need an attached hood on my jacket? A hood that I can't use with my down quilt unless I wear the jacket to bed which I rarely want to do. And given I generate a lot of heat when hiking, I rarely can hike in my Montebello plasma jacket for very long, so being able to have my warm hat separate is a big deal. And carrying a second warm hat along with a hooded jacket just seems like a pointless luxury.

I wished I'd had a hood. My partner had one and was pretty doggone happy about it.

Thanks for the field-tested confirmation.

Hats, coats, gaiters ... just no hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Given that I carry a warm hat, usually a lightweight balaclava which can be worn numerous ways for different degrees of warmth, why would I need an attached hood on my jacket? A hood that I can't use with my down quilt unless I wear the jacket to bed which I rarely want to do. And given I generate a lot of heat when hiking, I rarely can hike in my Montebello plasma jacket for very long, so being able to have my warm hat separate is a big deal. And carrying a second warm hat along with a hooded jacket just seems like a pointless luxury.
    Thank you also for your many field tested confirmations and experiences.

Hats, coats, gaiters ... just no hood.
    Experience using a separate light wt versatile balaclava or sherpa type hat that goes over the ears and down the sides of the face and taking along a light wt or UL wind jacket w/ a hood to go over the mid layer main insulation piece like a puffy with no hood?

Is it just me or does anyone else not hike in their Puffy? My Down jacket is for static activity (camp) where I'm not sweating and need warmth. While hiking if cold I have on my Cap 4 hoody beanie and Buff with a wind shirt with a hood, all dry quickly and keep me warm enough while hiking. My 3 season puffy has no hood, but I have a Zpacks down hood that if cold I like for sleeping used with my quilt. Winter my puffy has a hood attached.

Hooded puffys are awesome for Winter rest breaks up here in the Northeast. Hike in fleece, rest in geese.

good topic, the various opinions and experiences shared here are very helpful to those of us who ponder this same question....

thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I think for backpacking in frigid temps like 10F or 0F a capilene or fleece or whatever hood is perfect for the actual act of hiking. As mentioned, it allows for great temperature adjustments while moving; as in removing or putting on while moving.

And your bold quote comes from way out of left field. All backpackers both hike and camp, period. But wait, let's analyze your "I'm a hiker not a camper" quote. To me it can only mean one thing---you are a dayhiker who never camps. Okay, I can support that. Otherwise all backpackers both hike and camp. Oh and in my above pic I was . . . wait for it . . . actually hiking. And using a hood while doing it! Oops.
    I take my hat off to those of you that hike in 0* to 10*F. I generally don't go out of my house in those temperatures unless it's absolutely necessary.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

After a couple of below freezing nights with a need for my puffy under my quilt I decided to invest in a second puffy. For expected lows into the mid 30s I am fine with my lightweight, non-hooded puffy. If expected lows overnight are low 30s and into the 20s I'll take the slightly heavier hooded puffy. My beanie and Buff just didn't cut it for my head and neck into the lower temperatures.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Experience using a separate light wt versatile balaclava or sherpa type hat that goes over the ears and down the sides of the face and taking along a light wt or UL wind jacket w/ a hood to go over the mid layer main insulation piece like a puffy with no hood?
    That's what I do. I just don't like a hood on the puffy. I use a UA balaclava and a watch cap with the insulation layer, I use a GI type gortex with hood or a wind shirt anorak with hood as the outside layer. I do camp in my puffy with balaclava/watch cap and have slept in it all in my bag.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++