WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Z Lite Sol in shelters

Was trying to get some first hand info from some people. I'm planning on doing the Georgia AT section the 3rd week in January. I'm a hammock camper and have done hammock camping in the winter with proper equipment (temp rated underquilt/top quilts). I was thinking about bringing a light back up pad just in case it really got bad one night and I had to go in the shelter. My question is has anyone used their Z Lite Sol foam pad only during the winter on the floor of the shelters. Does the wood add insulating properties vs the ground. If so, how cold have you gone, again with just the foam pad as your bottom insulation in a shelter. Thanks in advance !

Journal Entries

I have not
    It depends on forecast, for 10F I would bring more. A lot more.
    No matter what, you will be warmer in hammock with the underquilt I would think.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-02-2017 at 21:45.

Images

No, shelters are a lot colder in my experience because cold air circulates underneath the wood. A Z-lite would be both cold and uncomfortable (at least for me). Sorry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

It could be down to 0* or lower with wind chill.No way any hammock could keep you warm.But you're from FL so you know all about cold.One year I was in the Smokies at TriCorner Knob shelter. A group from Miami brought oranges.It was only 10* and those oranges were hard as a baseball.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    No, shelters are a lot colder in my experience because cold air circulates underneath the wood. A Z-lite would be both cold and uncomfortable (at least for me). Sorry.
    I agree regarding the air circulation. I find it colder sleeping in the shelter vs. say a tent or tarp on the ground. The cold air also circulates in through the open side of the shelter (the general design, some are closed). I looked up your pad, it has an r-value of 2.6, which is low for winter use. I've supplemented my thermarest in the winter with a closed cell foam pad, cheap Wal-mart pad, to improve the r-value. I've rigged a tarp up a time or two along the walls before but even that leaves an opening. Can your hammock be rigged on the ground? I've seen some that can do that. You'd be warmer in a closed in space, the wind blowing around can really suck the heat off you.

I've slept out in shelters in the shelters with a thermarest (similar r-values) before and been comfortable but the rest of my sleep system would have to be considered and yours is probably a lot different than mine. Different layers of clothing, hats, balaclavas, I used to have a fleece liner at times too. Just depends on the expected weather.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Generally speaking, I only use my zlite pad by itself if the temperature is above freezing. Below that, it makes for a bit of a chilly night.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    It could be down to 0* or lower with wind chill.No way any hammock could keep you warm.
    Many experienced hammockers routinely go out in subzero weather.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I think sleeping on the wooden floor of a shelter is warmer than sleeping on the ground in my experience. Wood will provide some level of insulation that rock and dirt won't. I'm sure science can prove this out one way or the other.

Either way though, I don't think a z lite sol would be enough to keep you warm. It is just too thin. I don't know what it is like to sleep in a hammock in the winter, but I think I'd rather take my chances with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    It could be down to 0* or lower with wind chill.No way any hammock could keep you warm.But you're from FL so you know all about cold.One year I was in the Smokies at TriCorner Knob shelter. A group from Miami brought oranges.It was only 10* and those oranges were hard as a baseball.
    Most of my backpacking is in Western NC/ North GA / TN. And its usually in the fall or winter. Underquilt is rated to 0. Have had it in the low 20's. Moved to FL from Cleveland, OH. I know cold.

I've used my z-lite on a shelter floor in the upper 20s, and I agree with Sarcasm - a little too cold for my liking. I would think you'll be good with a 0* UQ (assuming you have a warm top quilt/bag as well). If you carry the z-lite in case it gets really bad, you'd probably be better off using that to supplement your UQ and stay in your hammock rather than using just the z-lite to go to the ground.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I've used my z-lite on a shelter floor in the upper 20s, and I agree with Sarcasm - a little too cold for my liking. I would think you'll be good with a 0* UQ (assuming you have a warm top quilt/bag as well). If you carry the z-lite in case it gets really bad, you'd probably be better off using that to supplement your UQ and stay in your hammock rather than using just the z-lite to go to the ground.
    Thats kinda what i was thinking. I think i'm just gonna bring an extra 3/4 length underquilt and stack them if need be. Thanks to all for the info on the pad though. Appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I think sleeping on the wooden floor of a shelter is warmer than sleeping on the ground in my experience. Wood will provide some level of insulation that rock and dirt won't. I'm sure science can prove this out one way or the other.

Either way though, I don't think a z lite sol would be enough to keep you warm. It is just too thin. I don't know what it is like to sleep in a hammock in the winter, but I think I'd rather take my chances with that.
    I have to agree with Bigcranky's observation in an earlier post. Sleeping on mother earth always seemed warmer than sleeping on a drafty wooden shelter floor, in my experiences.

Would a lite Tyvek Sheet under the Z-Lite pad block wind and improve insulation from the floor to boost the effectiveness? That has alway's been my plan if I am forced into the Shelters of the Smokies.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Would a lite Tyvek Sheet under the Z-Lite pad block wind and improve insulation from the floor to boost the effectiveness? That has alway's been my plan if I am forced into the Shelters of the Smokies.
    Being a hammock-hanger who plans to carry the Z-Lite and Tyvek for the same reason, I'd like to hear the answers to this one.

A sign comes to mind...bridge freezes before road surface

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I have to agree with Bigcranky's observation in an earlier post. Sleeping on mother earth always seemed warmer than sleeping on a drafty wooden shelter floor, in my experiences.
    I know what you are saying. A drafty area certainly seems cold but the physics of a dense object(the earth) and its virtual limitless ability to absorb your minuscule amount of heat makes me think the less dense wood is warmer. Or, not warmer but better at insulating. Heat moves to cold, right? I guess what I'm saying is, if the earth is so nice and warm, why have an insulated pad at all?

Journal Entries

You can have ground warmer than air
    Or ground colder than air

Depends on which condition you are referring

Also ground properties will vary widely by moisture, air, rock content. A light peaty duff will be fairly insulative, a rock slab as cold as a block of ice....or it could be a heat radiator in right conditions.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-04-2017 at 10:51.

Seasons make a difference as well.
    In the fall to early winter the ground is typically warmer than the air.
    In the late winter to early spring the ground is typically colder than air.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I know what you are saying. A drafty area certainly seems cold but the physics of a dense object(the earth) and its virtual limitless ability to absorb your minuscule amount of heat makes me think the less dense wood is warmer. Or, not warmer but better at insulating. Heat moves to cold, right? I guess what I'm saying is, if the earth is so nice and warm, why have an insulated pad at all?

Because as the earth sucks up your heat it warms up a bit. Dirt is not a great conductor of heat, so that heat doesn't disappear into the earth, it stays nearby.

On a wooden platform with cold moving air underneath, your body heats up the air which is then quickly replaced with more cold air. Your body heat blows away into the cold, dark night.

It really does work the same way as bridges freezing before the road surface.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    When I've had to use my z-lite to go to the shelter floor, I've usually used a piece of tyvek under the pad to keep mouse turds and all of the other disgusting shelter droppings off of my gear - but not always. I haven't noticed it doing anything to improve warmth. The z-lite blocks the wind without the tyvek, and the tyvek itself adds no insulation value. If it does make any difference, in my opinion it's unnoticeable.
    -tagg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++