WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Footwear--what kind and how many?

My thru hike is coming up this summer (SOBO starting in June) and I have a really narrow, low volume foot. I am having trouble finding a really solid fit because of this reason. I am a male with a size 12, B-ish width foot. Suggestions?

I don't necessarily want to buy 3 pairs of the same shoes before the trip, either, since my feet may swell out of the size I am currently in, how many pairs of shoes do most thru hikers go through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Images

Depends, my very light trail runners last about 400-500 miles. I would definitely buy along the way to account for changes in foot size.

I have low volume feet, not that narrow, but in shoes like the Keens my feet just swim inside them. I have some La Sportiva trail runners that I like a lot, and I was fairly happy with the Inov8 shoes too (though they are very light and have almost no stiffness for support).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You can easily alter the volume in your boot/shoe with the addition off insoles. Take a look at SuperFeet for the best selection.

You probably don't want to hear the other option...but...here it is....

If your foot is VERY narrow and very...low volume....you may want to try on a pair of women's boots/trail runners. Size them two sizes larger. In other words, if you are a Men's 10 you need a Woman's 12 in US sizing...

Oops...sorry...you are a men's 12....sorry...I don't think they make a women's 14...I think they stop at 11 or 12....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Oops...sorry...you are a men's 12....sorry...I don't think they make a women's 14...I think they stop at 11 or 12....
    I wouldn't mind wearing a women's shoe but you pointed out the exact issue. I use superfeet now, but I use the blue. May need to try the higher volume ones to accommodate better.

Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Images

Look into getting insoles that match your feet . Super Walmarts have a Dr.Scholls orthotic foot machine that measures your foot density with specific insoles to custom fit your feet.
    With regards to what to wear it really comes down to experimenting with what type of shoe/boot you want. Once you figure that out then you can go with planning future shoe purchases.
    I would suggest calling an Outfitter in advance of your start date and order a pair and have them save it till you get there. Of course you may need to change shoe width as your feet may be puffy due to water retention.

It's not uncommon to finish the trail having gone through 3 or 4 pair of shoes. The state of Pennsylvania eat up a pair by itself.
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 01-02-2017 at 13:55.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Try the Sole brand insoles. I used Superfeet for years, but the Sole insoles seem to do a better job on my feet. I use the thin ones in my trail runners, and thick ones in my winter hiking shoes.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

I've had a pair of Sole brand heat molded insoles when they used to sell them in the military PX. You warm them in the oven, put them in your footwear, then walk them cold. They mold perfectly to your foot. It isn't a true orthotic, but if you form it properly, the heel cup is stable and there's enough of a form underneath the moldable part to form a decent arch. It I don't think the arch is orthotic quality as I said, but it's probably a better result than you're going to get with Dr. Scholls or other cookie cutter products.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Try the Sole brand insoles. I used Superfeet for years, but the Sole insoles seem to do a better job on my feet. I use the thin ones in my trail runners, and thick ones in my winter hiking shoes.

I tried on many different boots, and went with the ones that fit my feet the best. For me that was a pair of Keens.

I've had them for 2 years, and about 500 miles. They aren't waterproof any more; in fact, that feature didn't last very long.
    A couple of the lugs on the bottom that wrap around the edge suffered the wrath of my clutch pedal, are no longer glued securely, and tend to carry pieces of grass around.
    One leather seam is coming un-stitched. It's not in a vital or crucial location, but still...

I don't know if 500 miles is a lot or a little for a pair of Keen Targhee 2's, but if it's the only one that fits my feet, I guess I'll just have to keep buying them. Good thing they are on the cheaper side of the hiking boot spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I tried on many different boots, and went with the ones that fit my feet the best. For me that was a pair of Keens.
    I can guarantee they won't be for OP if we're talking narrow and low volume haha... I hear a lot of praise for Keens but they fit me like a boat.

Salomons fit my narrow low volume feet like a glove. I'm not sure what to suggest next if you're narrower than that.

Images

Keen has been my boot of choice too and I can attest to their all around comfort for me . I can also say 500 miles isn't at all bad, in my experience durability has never been a strong suit for Keen hiking boots.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hoka One One Speed Goat trail runners fit a narrow/low volume foot.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

For trail runners check out INNOV, Mizuno, Montrail, and maybe some of the Solomons.

Would like to know more specifics about what type of hiking shoe you might want - trail runner, low-cut light hiker, mid cut hiker, boot, etc.

You should spend time with a professional expert backpacking shoe outfitter. It's worth the time to seek these folks out as your basing your entire activity on having well fitting appropriate for your hike shoes.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

You'll go through 4 pairs of shoes on a thru. It doesn't matter what shoes you get as long as you follow these 2 simple rules: they have to fit right and they have to be comfortable. That's really it; everything else is a personal preference.
    I would probably get a good pair of insoles also, and be sure your shoes fit while the insoles are in there. I think these are the best insoles out there: Currex Sole Runpro insoles. They lasted 2800 miles and I'm still wearing them.

GAME 06

Not to be argumentative, but how many pairs of shoes you need will vary widely due to several reasons.

1. Some people are much harder on their shoes than others. This has a big impact. Two people with the same size shoe who are 30 lbs different in weight will have different results. Some folks walk quietly and some stomp down the trail - this makes a difference too.

2. Trail runners don't last anywhere near as long as hard soled hiking shoes. And the light weight boots (I am not recommending them btw) last even longer. Not all trail runners are the same either as some are racing weight and some are training weight (these last much longer and have much better foot protection).

3. How much and for how long a shoe is wet inside effects how long it lasts.

Some examples:

Wearing a pair of Vasque Breeze's on the AT I got 2000 miles out of them.
    A training weight pair of Alta Lone Peaks should get 400 miles.
    A racing weight pair of trail runners might only get 250 miles. I know of a guy on the PCT who used up 9 pair.

Many people are walking down the trail in shoes which are long worn out for a variety of reasons. It can be done but it raises your chance of injury. I was walking along one day here in AZ about 20 miles out from getting back to my car and was wondering why my foot was hurting so much. I took a break and pulled the shoe off to find out there was a hole all the way through the sole to the inside of the shoe - I just wanted to get my full value duh! I don't know how many people I have seen with shoes duct taped together or with the sides ripped out, etc. Replace your shoes when they are about 75% of the way to trash and send them home to be used up on training hikes or walking around town - hike in good condition shoes.

I am a woman with a very narrow foot. I wear Lola hiking boots because they actually come in a narrow. Not sure if they make a men's narrow but you could try them out. They are the only boot that fits my foot. I would love to try some trail shoes but haven't found anything narrow enough.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    My thru hike is coming up this summer (SOBO starting in June) and I have a really narrow, low volume foot. I am having trouble finding a really solid fit because of this reason. I am a male with a size 12, B-ish width foot. Suggestions?

I don't necessarily want to buy 3 pairs of the same shoes before the trip, either, since my feet may swell out of the size I am currently in, how many pairs of shoes do most thru hikers go through?
    What kind of shoe are you hiking in now? And do you get lots of blisters or really sore feet?

A perfectly fitting shoe that can be tied so it does not slide around on your foot is always ideal but one can do without in some circumstances. If you are training and hiking enough you will develop an outstanding set of callus's that adapt your feet to your shoes. This may be what you have to do if there is nothing out there which will fit you other than a custom made shoe. Combat boots used to be bad fits for large numbers of people but they eventually got the callus's they needed. If you go this way make sure you have the callus's you need before you start and carry a roll of Leuko tape to tape your feet with as nothing beats it. You might have to just tape your feet every few days (Leuko tape will stay on your feet for days without pealing up, but you should change it out at least every few days). Just an idea to consider.

I used La Sportiva Wildcats on my AT thru, but I would suggest giving sandals a try. I hike in chaco's now and love them. The straps can be perfectly adjusted to the shape of your foot. I will be using them on my 2018 PCT thru
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

++ New Posts ++