WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hitch-hiking 441 during winter months?

Am wondering if anyone has experience hitching rides in the park on 441 during winter months? I have had an easy time catching rides during the summer but wondering if it will be difficult in the winter when presumably vehicle traffic is much much less? Hoping to leave a car at Oconaluftee/Mingus Creek trailhead and hitching a ride up to Newfound later this month.
    thanks!

The only time I've had a problem hitching in the winter was when the park closed down 441 for snow. Luckily they opened it about an hour after I got back to the trailhead and I was picked up.

Easy peasy! That whole area is awesome because of awesome people. Franklin especially. They see your pack and know what you're about. You're likely to get picked up brought home and fed too - put up and do your laundry if you're good company. Lots of early birds as was my case the first time hang about below the Smokies in spring, and the towns down there a loaded with real angels you'll never hear about in a guide book.

Sent you a PM

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

random person : "i never see hitchhikers anymore...."

cliffordbarnabus' thought bubble response : "that's because they're always getting picked up!"

I hitched a ride from Alum Cave trail head to Newfound Gap a couple of winters ago. It was on a weekend and it took about an hour to finally get a ride. I was a little suprised that it took that long. If it had been a week day I don't know how long it would have taken. My friends at Newfound saw lots of cars coming up the rode but not with me. One of my friends asked a driver if they had seen anyone hitchhiking, the driver replied yes we saw a backpacked hitchhiking. They said I seemed to be some kind of oxymoron, backpacker hitchhiking. Maybe I shouldn't of had my pack with me. I don't know.

I have picked people up, heading up to new found from gburg

Had a buddy that many years ago was at Clingmans dome bailing due to weather. no one would pick him up, spent the night in the bathroom up there with a snow storm blowing in. Had to take his time walking the road to new found gap the next day
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++