WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Costco down quilt design ideas

I've seen plenty on the topic, but everything I've seen appears to be for under hammocks. I bought the 2 pack:

http://m.costco.com/Double-Black-Dia...100314979.html

... and before I start cutting and sewing I want to know exactly what I should be looking to do. I'm wanting to make a quilt-style sleeping bag because I move around a lot.

I'm thinking of taking one and sewing the bottom into a loose foot box, opening up around 2.5ft. Then take the other and cut 1-1.5ft off the top and use that as an extension for the actual quilt, allowing it to cover more of my shoulders/head. Also taking some of the 2nd quilt and making another foot box insert for cooler nights, but possibly longer to also reach my upper legs and bottom.

I think I'm going you avoid using any zippers. But I'm contemplating using Velcro in some areas. Good/bad idea?

Thoughts/ideas/links?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've just made a pair of chaps and a hood. To use in camp . Have yet to test them. But should work well . Sewing with the feathers inside, is a pain but doable. Being a novice with the sewing machine. It took me longer to get the tensions right. I have enough left for booties, not bad for the 25 dollars it cost. Quilt is 3/4-1 inch at most, should work for summer nights as a bag. I would sew loops and use a thin elastic. with flat center release connectors to connect quilt underneath you or your pad. Rip stop by the roll has the pieces. There are quilt kits out there that incorporate a type of hood into quilt. I would take a look at what they did.

The two pack is actually more expensive than 2 singles (granted - only by a penny, but still...) and shipping amounts to 20% of the merchandise price. It may be worth it if you can get these at $19.99 each in a warehouse, but by mail - no thanks. $48 is not a good value for thin, cheaply made quilts. Costco gets less compelling by the day.

It was good enough for me. Could I have saved another $5 or so? Sure. But compared to $100-300, this will do me just fine. Plus, I enjoy cooler temps than most, and I certainly don't expect to see extremely cold nights. Worst case, I layer up a few nights. If it's predicted to be THAT bad, I'll find a place to stay ahead of time.

I had seen those comment postings. I was just looking for more examples of work. Only helpful post I saw among them was in regards to the gentleman on YouTube. Close to what I want to do, and some good tips for sure. But a lot of the discussions have been about under hammock quilts.

To save weight sew up the bottom to your knee level. To avoid zippers, maybe toggles and elastic loops every 6" or so might be better than Velcro which weakens in time. Or maybe combine the two ideas. I have thought of using two of these to make a barrel bag.

I got a new but pre-owned down quilt that is quite thick, like 3" for next to nothing, but it is sewn through. It also has a cotton shell which keeps it from being used out of doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    To save weight sew up the bottom to your knee level. To avoid zippers, maybe toggles and elastic loops every 6" or so might be better than Velcro which weakens in time. Or maybe combine the two ideas. I have thought of using two of these to make a barrel bag.
    I figure elastic would weaken way before Velcro would ever have issues... But I do like the idea of the elastic. Seems like it'd be less of an issue than Velcro. Maybe buttons.

++ New Posts ++