WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Quoting bivariate Pearson correlations, R-squared, F-tests, p-values, etc. [for instance see "notes for nerds" on the backpack survey].
    IMO it's a bit much for something that is simply an "informal survey" of those on social media, as you termed it. It's a mismatch - informal survey, formal stats.

The selection bias is more than thru-hikers. It's limited to a) those who are on social media and b) those who respond to survey requests on social media. And it's not clear there's a way to prevent phony responses. I'm not saying that they should have people at Springer and Katahdin with clipboards tracking everyone who is a true thru hiker ... though that could be more accurate ... I'd just lose all the fancy stats.
    I'd report this nefariousness the author's thesis committee immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    A hammock will solve that problem. You'll never have wet anything, I can promise you that.
    I've considered a hammock many times, but, being a side sleeper, I don't see it happening for me.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Quoting bivariate Pearson correlations, R-squared, F-tests, p-values, etc. [for instance see "notes for nerds" on the backpack survey].
    IMO it's a bit much for something that is simply an "informal survey" of those on social media, as you termed it. It's a mismatch - informal survey, formal stats.

The selection bias is more than thru-hikers. It's limited to a) those who are on social media and b) those who respond to survey requests on social media. And it's not clear there's a way to prevent phony responses. I'm not saying that they should have people at Springer and Katahdin with clipboards tracking everyone who is a true thru hiker ... though that could be more accurate ... I'd just lose all the fancy stats.

I tutored advanced stat in college.

I find this survey useful. Self selection doesn't seem to bias some things as much as others.

The rain gear survey is good for evaluation as respondents are biased with price as the highest coefficient.

Tells me a lot about the survey--though I admit to the weaknesses they set out on the site.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    I've considered a hammock many times, but, being a side sleeper, I don't see it happening for me.
    Ziggy, I too am a side sleeper, mostly left side and love my hammock. I make a pillow out of clothing (Clean) in a stuff sack and could not be more comfortable. Go over to Hammockforums.net, this link will take you to the hangout section and checkout the wide variety of hammocks. A lot of people will let you try their hammocks to see how you like them.
    Blackheart

I only read the title.
    TarpTent Notch. And that's my final answer.
    I'm older than dirt. Buy the Notch.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++