WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Iphone App.

Default Iphone App.

Can anyone recommend an app. for Iphones that can track your progress on trail maps? Maybe even share your location with other people? Something similar to Life360 but for hiking.

Thanks!

I had the same idea and searched for an app, and while there are loads of to find, the problem comes up when using them: All apps rely on cell connection, which usually is poor or non existent in hiking areas, and by trying very hard to build up a connection in poor reception areas the battery drains all too fast.
    On my phone, by pure GPS tracking only it can run for about 3-4 days, while in cell mode the battery is finished at the end of a hiking day, usually, even without any communication.

For the simple task of GPS tracking I'm using Backcountry Navigator, but am not all too happy with it because it randomly freezes and by this blocks all other GPS using apps on the phone. Maybe the iOS version works better (mine is Android).

Not Exactly what you are asking for, but Guthooks is a real time location AT app. It is $64 for entire trail, worth every penny. You can also share your location and post to facebook, email, text etc
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    . . . For the simple task of GPS tracking I'm using Backcountry Navigator, but am not all too happy with it because it randomly freezes and by this blocks all other GPS using apps on the phone. . .
    Been using it for years (maybe 6+). Used with an old Motorola phone, and two different models of Samsung. I've never had either of the issues you are suggesting or heard of others having those two problems. I wonder if it is either just your phone or your particular installation? I often have multiple GPS mapping apps running along with Backcountry Navigator.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I highly suspect my particular phone and/or installation, but what does this help? There is no way to detect and cure problems in a specific app, are there?
    When BN freezes (in my case), it seems to urgently and repeatently request the GPS position and by this endless repeating requests hindering any other app getting the GPS position, and BN seems to keep this up and running even if shut down. I have to hard switch-off the phone and reboot to solve the problem.

I'm still in the progress of finding the perfect GPS app.
    And I believe that the Android world (and apps) is/are more buggy than iOS, generally speaking.

Guthook's is a great AT hiking app. I used it for about 3/4 of the AT and it does track real time and allows you to share your position on media when in cell coverage. Also it can be used in airplane mode and still provide a location thus extending battery life. It also provides shelter and some trail support info. You can look at its features once you download the app and upload the approach trail for free.

Motion X GPS is pretty good -- http://gps.motionx.com/

I use Avenza Maps with Geospatial PDFs I create in Caltopo. Simple free offline gps mapping.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/app/

or Gaia. But that's a 20 buck app...just sayin...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can really just use Google's Location History or Iphone's iCloud to see current location.

But I use Ramblr to track and photograph for trail project and issues. It is mostly a tracking app. But it give routes of other nearby hikes.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Gaia GPS for iphone. Works without a cell signal, it uses satellite positioning.

I use "trails- outdoor gps logbook by iosphere" available on App Store for my apple phone. Don't know how to do a link- sorry ! It was $2.99 I think. Well worth the price, but using gps tracking may eat up battery.

++ New Posts ++