WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default JMT Planning for Fall of 2017

I am wanting to go ahead and start planning my John Muir Trail hike for August or September of 2017. I have read that the reservation process can be a little tricky. Any websites you recommend that I read up on as far as planning the reservation and the hike? Planning on quitting my job in August and starting my year of not working by hiking the JMT. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Images

Read the other JMT thread (the day 1-8 one), the lady has a couple links to the permit process and tips. Having done the JMT twice, I highly recommend September. We're going back this next September ourselves to do a variation.

Also: consider going NOBO, it will make your permit life easier. Good luck! Most beautiful trail in the country, IMHO.

I wrote about how to get a permit here. Getting a permit is difficult, but if you apply correctly every day and have some flexibility, you will hopefully get one

Section Hiker

Heather's site is really helpful, and I also suggest on Facebook you join the group John Muir Trail, as well as the John Muir Trail Yahoo Group. One of the members of both is Inga, see her very helpful site and links here: http://ingasadventures.com/backpacking-resources/.

I'm going in August/Sept as well, hope to see you out there!

~Rock Slide

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Read the other JMT thread (the day 1-8 one), the lady has a couple links to the permit process and tips. Having done the JMT twice, I highly recommend September. We're going back this next September ourselves to do a variation.

Also: consider going NOBO, it will make your permit life easier. Good luck! Most beautiful trail in the country, IMHO.
    +1...September was perfect....be open to options. I tried for several years with no luck ended up flip flopping out of Mammoth and was perfect with easy permits and logistics. Will be back doing a alternative route variation. Amazing place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The permit process is a little smoother this year. You can now apply for a start date range of up to 3 weeks on a single permit application. If you do not receive a permit for the first date in your range, you will be automatically rolled over into the next day's lottery until: a) you are granted a permit, b) you cancel the application, or c) your date range expires. You can now fax the application 2 days before the lottery (170 prior to your first specified start date). No more daily faxing!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hawkerbabe View Post
    The permit process is a little smoother this year. You can now apply for a start date range of up to 3 weeks on a single permit application. If you do not receive a permit for the first date in your range, you will be automatically rolled over into the next day's lottery until: a) you are granted a permit, b) you cancel the application, or c) your date range expires. You can now fax the application 2 days before the lottery (170 prior to your first specified start date). No more daily faxing!

Good news

Quote Originally Posted by hawkerbabe View Post

That is such a great change! I updated my permit post to reflect the recent changes.

I don't know how great this rollover is, was counting on my persistence separating me from the other applicants, faxing more than the other people. Doesn't seem like I can count on that now.....

JMT Facebook Group

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked the JMT in last year in September. It was amazing and less crowed then.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

+1 mid September was great

If you don't want any permit headaches, start at Horseshoe Meadows. In September you can just walk-in to the visitor center in Lone Pine and pick up a permit. The quota there is about 40

I hiked in late August. No bugs!! Available at Barnes and Noble, REI, and elsewhere is the National Geographic John Muir Trail Topographical Trail Guide $14.95 list. This is a 4 1/2 x 9 1/2 " pamphlet that would fit in a back pocket. It is waterproof and the only trail map you would need. Great little resource with trail info,too, pus a profile map at the bottom of each page.

About permits. When I apply by e-mail I received a permit from Tuolumne Meadows. This is a great place to start from. I arrived in the Park allowing a couple of extra days before start date. but was easily allowed to start the day after arriving. I also met people who just showed up and were allowed to start their hike. So, do not be discouraged by the process. Go for it. ( my hike was 2009)

Something to keep an eye on- I've heard rumblings that the insane amount of snow has been washing out bridges. If you look at the Rae Lakes Loop online guides I think the suspension bridge may have been destroyed. That is a significant river that cannot be forded.

Some bridges are damaged in the Sierra Nevada on the Rae Lakes loop, but none are along the JMT/PCT itself. There was a false report that the suspension bridge at Woods Creek was out. That was later retracted. And what may seem uncrossable in June looks completely different in September as the snow runoff is long gone and water levels are much lower.

So, when the water settles around October, we'll find out if any bridges have been lost. Then we'll find out which streams can only be forded during the later half of the hiking season.
    It's going to be very interesting to see which, if any, of the bridges in Wilderness Areas will be replaced.
    A key bridge across Vallecito Creek in the Weminuche Wilderness Area of Colorado was destroyed a few years ago. The official position of the San Juan NF is that the bridge can not be replaced because it's in a W. A. The use of machinery, etc. don't you know. Meanwhile, helicopters are authorized to study big horn sheep.
    Go figure. I do hope that bridges will be repaired or replaced.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Yosemite has some water issues...too much of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++