WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Yet another gear list

Hi guys! For my benefit and hopefully the benefit of others, here is my gear list: https://lighterpack.com/r/elp1zb . I obviously haven't finalized some of it and things that have no cost have already been bought. I would love to start early (Feburary) so I have a better chance of making my late August deadline when the fall semester begins, so I'm gonna tend on the side of winter gear at first. This forum has been invaluable in making this list already so thank you guys!

Let us know how the quilt works in February.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Forgot to put the specs earlier (20F 800DT), but hopefully that combined with my XTherm and my thermal underwear I should be good.

Images

Not bad mate. Are you using the Sawyer bag? Wow that pack cover poncho is crazy expensive for what it is. I dont see a need especially given you have a cuben pack and its lined.

I own a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite, Xtherm Large and LL Bean 250 weight merino wool long johns. To date I've only been out at 25 degrees. The bag was only zipped halfway. No hat. No gloves. Hood and collar wide open. I would trust the Alpinlite in the low teens. Maybe less.
    "Hopefully" may not be very comfortable in the quilt approaching single digits.
    Try to get some real world testing before you start.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Are you using the Sawyer bag?
    I'm not sure. Currently I want to put my filter inline on my bladder but I will finalize that during my shakedown hike.

Wow that pack cover poncho is crazy expensive for what it is. I dont see a need especially given you have a cuben pack and its lined
    The packa was a recommendation from my cousin who inspired me to go. It is expensive but its about the cost of the rain jacket I was considering (OR Helium II) anyways and it has some added benefits from being both pack cover and poncho, mainly the ability to deploy the poncho at a moment's notice if the weather is being unpredictable. And you can put on just the hood or the hood and put your arms through the pit zips or put the whole thing on depending on how bad the rain is. Considering the most miserable parts of a thru hike seem to be hiking through several days of rain, I'd like to have some flexible rain gear as a sanity check. Consider it a "luxury item"

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I own a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite, Xtherm Large and LL Bean 250 weight merino wool long johns. To date I've only been out at 25 degrees. The bag was only zipped halfway. No hat. No gloves. Hood and collar wide open. I would trust the Alpinlite in the low teens. Maybe less.
    "Hopefully" may not be very comfortable in the quilt approaching single digits.
    Try to get some real world testing before you start.
    Wayne

From the reviews I've read the temperature ratings on these quilts are generous. However I will absolutely make sure to test this out before starting the trail in a controlled setting (e.g. backyard or next to my car) so I don't end up as a news story about a hiker who lost his toes and fingers to the Appalachian winter.

Quote Originally Posted by portablesounds View Post
    From the reviews I've read the temperature ratings on these quilts are generous. However I will absolutely make sure to test this out before starting the trail in a controlled setting (e.g. backyard or next to my car) so I don't end up as a news story about a hiker who lost his toes and fingers to the Appalachian winter.
    How cold do you think it might get in February and March?
    Wayne

Save 4 oz by losing the groundsheet. Your tent floor is plenty tough. Dozens of nights in my Lunar Solo with 30 denier floor. Zero issues. 20 degree quilt in Feb might cause some cold nights, but clothes may be enough to counter that. Tent will be warmer than the shelters. I tend to carry a 10D quilt in those temperatures, though a 20D quilt and bivy has also been comfortable as well. But I sleep cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How cold do you think it might get in February and March?
    Wayne

Very cold. Possibly 10F or rarely below 0F even in March. Good point. This is why I'm still tossing around starting in February. I have flexibility so I will start if the trail isn't sitting at all time lows like -29F on top of Mt. Mitchell in March.

Very cold. Possibly 10F or rarely below 0F even in March. Good point. This is why I'm still tossing around starting in February. I have flexibility so I will start if the trail isn't sitting at all time lows like -29F on top of Mt. Mitchell in March.
    Better not be 0F! i would probably have to wear every bit of clothing i had! Only both quilts im bringing are rated to 20F and ive slept with them comfortably at 16F with a good amount of wind. But im pretty sure 0F will make for a pretty sleepless night.

Quote Originally Posted by B.j. Clark View Post
    Save 4 oz by losing the groundsheet. Your tent floor is plenty tough. Dozens of nights in my Lunar Solo with 30 denier floor. Zero issues. 20 degree quilt in Feb might cause some cold nights, but clothes may be enough to counter that. Tent will be warmer than the shelters. I tend to carry a 10D quilt in those temperatures, though a 20D quilt and bivy has also been comfortable as well. But I sleep cold.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Good to hear I've made a good investment in my tent. "Worst case scenario" I could toss everything I got, including my thermal layers and my Ghost Whisperer on top of me, which could extend my thermal range as well. I'm not totally sure what kind of sleeper I am yet, cuz I start the night usually blazing hot and wake up in the morning with my body refusing to heat up. In between I'm not sure. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Oventoasted View Post
    Better not be 0F! i would probably have to wear every bit of clothing i had! Only both quilts im bringing are rated to 20F and ive slept with them comfortably at 16F with a good amount of wind. But im pretty sure 0F will make for a pretty sleepless night.
    Lol if I saw those temps on the weather I'd pay for a nice warm hostel in town and wait it out

Thanks for the suggestions. Good to hear I've made a good investment in my tent. "Worst case scenario" I could toss everything I got, including my thermal layers and my Ghost Whisperer on top of me, which could extend my thermal range as well. I'm not totally sure what kind of sleeper I am yet, cuz I start the night usually blazing hot and wake up in the morning with my body refusing to heat up. In between I'm not sure. We shall see.
    T-shirt, long sleeve thermal t-shirt then the Ghost Whisperer, then get in the bag. Don't forget socks/booties, thermal tights, balaclava and gloves. If it get more tragic than that scenario, throw on your rain jacket and pants and deploy a bandana or something to fully cover your nose and mouth(the slight pre-heating of air drawn through membrane, like fabric, can make a world of difference in staving off hypothermia). If it gets more tragic than that, and you don't have a space blanket to create a VBL inside the bag....break camp and start hiking to stay warm...eat on the run...

Also, if it gets this bad, be sure to take measures to prevent your water from freezing...

Very good list. If you go for the Feb start, I would recommend that you get the eVent rain mitts, eVent gaiters rather than basic cloth ones, consider some goretex socks, bread bags, or the like, and go for a merino buff or a synthetic or merino balaclava. Also, I think that the ability to wear all of your clothing under your quilt is a great strategy to ride out a reasonable worst case temperature scenario.

Images

Small thing: but might want to consider victorinox signature. Same tools as the mini multi tool you posted but only .8oz and has a pen. Can find them used/TSA confiscations on ebay for $8 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    T-shirt, long sleeve thermal t-shirt then the Ghost Whisperer, then get in the bag. Don't forget socks/booties, thermal tights, balaclava and gloves. If it get more tragic than that scenario, throw on your rain jacket and pants and deploy a bandana or something to fully cover your nose and mouth(the slight pre-heating of air drawn through membrane, like fabric, can make a world of difference in staving off hypothermia). If it gets more tragic than that, and you don't have a space blanket to create a VBL inside the bag....break camp and start hiking to stay warm...eat on the run...

Also, if it gets this bad, be sure to take measures to prevent your water from freezing...
    A VBL is an excellent idea. Considering that kind of cold would be a freak occurrence, I think I'll grab a little mylar emergency blanket just for that. Also yeah I figured worst case scenario is just keep hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Very good list. If you go for the Feb start, I would recommend that you get the eVent rain mitts, eVent gaiters rather than basic cloth ones, consider some goretex socks, bread bags, or the like, and go for a merino buff or a synthetic or merino balaclava. Also, I think that the ability to wear all of your clothing under your quilt is a great strategy to ride out a reasonable worst case temperature scenario.
    Perfect. Just the short list I needed. Updated my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelon View Post
    Small thing: but might want to consider victorinox signature. Same tools as the mini multi tool you posted but only .8oz and has a pen. Can find them used/TSA confiscations on ebay for $8 or so.
    Just got one for $6 .

Nice gear
    Maybe some of this has already been said:
    Your mat is good, assuming it doesn't spring a leak. I prefer dual mats in winter, but many don't go that route
    Don't underestimate the need for head insulation. A quilt + down jacket with no hood leave a big gap to fill. I don't know if that lightweight buff and beanie are enough if it's 10f or something, but you can test it

If it's going to be cold at night, you can't really wear your ghost whisperer during the day (unless it's dry and you wear it at camp).
    Just make sure you have enough stuff to be comfortable in cold temps hiking, comfortable a bit if it's wet at camp, and then still have all your dry stuff for sleep. You don't want to have to just hide in your tent and bag if it's cold at 6 pm

I've noticed a lot of hikers grow tired of hiking in feb/early march after awhile because they just don't have enough warm stuff to go around once a couple items get wet and the cold snap hits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++