WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Nice gear
    Maybe some of this has already been said:
    Your mat is good, assuming it doesn't spring a leak. I prefer dual mats in winter, but many don't go that route
    Don't underestimate the need for head insulation. A quilt + down jacket with no hood leave a big gap to fill. I don't know if that lightweight buff and beanie are enough if it's 10f or something, but you can test it

If it's going to be cold at night, you can't really wear your ghost whisperer during the day (unless it's dry and you wear it at camp).
    Just make sure you have enough stuff to be comfortable in cold temps hiking, comfortable a bit if it's wet at camp, and then still have all your dry stuff for sleep. You don't want to have to just hide in your tent and bag if it's cold at 6 pm

I've noticed a lot of hikers grow tired of hiking in feb/early march after awhile because they just don't have enough warm stuff to go around once a couple items get wet and the cold snap hits.
    I will definitely be bringing the sleeping pad repair kit and some repair tape so I should be good on that.
    I made sure to add a merino wool buff for head warmth but I will consider a down sleep hat as well.
    The jacket was on sale for like $70 off without a hood so I had to go for it. Also I will only get out my jacket, my short sleeve shirt, and my thermal leggings in camp (hopefully hiking will keep my legs warm). Having only that long sleeve merino shirt may be an issue, so I will probably need to add a Patagonia R1 back to my list.

Yeah, if you don't mind the vibrant pea soup green color, you can get a Ghost Whisperer for $120 right now at STP.

I prefer to use a very lightweight synthetic balaclava and this multi-purpose fleece thing. Combining the two at night gives me more than adequate coverage and does away with the need for the single-purpose down hood/hat, even though my winter bags have hoods. I prefer not to use the bag's hood...it's a confinement issue for me personally...the very lightweight balaclava goes on my head as a beanie during the day, easily deployed to cover the face when you hit a wind blast on a ridge...YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/Miracu-Heavyw...628CYEZRRBHQXQ

Quote Originally Posted by portablesounds View Post
    I will definitely be bringing the sleeping pad repair kit and some repair tape so I should be good on that.
    I made sure to add a merino wool buff for head warmth but I will consider a down sleep hat as well.
    The jacket was on sale for like $70 off without a hood so I had to go for it. Also I will only get out my jacket, my short sleeve shirt, and my thermal leggings in camp (hopefully hiking will keep my legs warm). Having only that long sleeve merino shirt may be an issue, so I will probably need to add a Patagonia R1 back to my list.
    Sounds like R1 would be a nice addition. You can always mail it home first when you're confident in your gear and through the coldest stretches

1 cold night test run will tell you most of the rest!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

portable sounds, this a well thought out list. Here's a few thoughts, just my opinion based on my experiences.

Instead of using a trash compactor bag consider a few UL dry bags. I used one for clothes, one for my sleeping bag and one for food. When I started my thru I was using the compactor bag, eventually it leaked. Also for the sleeping bag the dry sack acts like a compression bag by allowing you to push all the air out.

Frogs Togg pants; I did carry rain pants and didn't need them. You'll just sweat and get wet in them. I did carry wind pants used mostly in town while doing laundry.

I had a Houdini jacket and ditched it eventually. Instead I used the Frogg Togg jacket.

I had Sealskinz socks and ditched them. My feet got soaked from sweat. Others have carried plastic bags for snow hiking but I didn't. My feet just got wet when hiking in snow. No big deal, keep moving and you'll keep warm. Also I started mid March and didn't carry anything that you consider winter gear.

Tenacious Tape; I carried a few squares of this, it came in handy for repairs.

Leuko tape is great for blisters. I carried maybe 2 feet rolled on a plastic straw.

I used the same tent as yours. great tent, lasted the trip and in fact I still use it.

Didn't need a windshield for my stove. Just set up next to a log or rock.

You're carrying almost 2 pounds of electronics! Of course that's pretty light for you youngsters : )

Have you ever hiked any distance in Microspikes? They're a PIA to hike in, they hurt my feet, but work well.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

Great list!
    Maybe add a couple of items....
    Definitely an extra water bottle...one just isn't enough.
    An extra 20 feet or so of line...always useful, saves cutting up your bear bag line.
    Food bag, not on the list.
    Fuel weight.
    Personally, I like to carry a back up headlamp but that's just me.
    All those zeros, nine I believe, add them up to get a truer weight.
    Best of luck, you're already off to a good start with that gear.

Images

Cool. I just think these are perfect. Clipping nails with the scissors is tough.... but possible in a pinch. File useful as well on nails. Take the file out all the way when you use the pen... useful to get purchase on the pen.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by portablesounds View Post
    Just got one for $6 .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++