WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool GA-TN-NC Parking

I am returning to the trail after a long absence. Can anyone suggest safe places to park a vehicle for a 3-4 day out-and-back section hike. I would like to park my vehicle, hike a few days, then RTB back to my car.

Thanks

All of the Georgia trailheads are safe to park at. I have not heard of any bad activity at any for several years. Of course, anything is possible at any time, but I would not hesitate to leave my vehicle at any of them. NC is a little worse I believe, and I know that there have been major problems at Winding Stair Gap earlier this year. I would NOT leave my car there or nearby. Fontana is safe as far as I know. Only other place I have parked is Hot Springs, and I felt safe in the public lot there for a week.

Around 19E highway in TN is widely known for vandalism, south of there around Carvers Gap is a good place. I've left my truck there several nights and never had any issues.

Newfound Gap is a good place to park and provides a good path North or South.

Have you considered a shuttle? I usually park at my end point and the catch a ride from "a walk in the woods" to my start point.

This allows me to knock out a new chunk of the trail each trip.

Images

I'm sure these are posted elsewhere on wb, but here are a couple resources. I can't attest to their accuracy.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail - doesn't address parking size or safety.

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

enjoy!

++ New Posts ++