WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default My next headlamp

2017 is going to go two ways. An AT thru heading nobo in march, or an awesome amount of 30-60 mile end to ends every weekend. I'll be happy either way.

Anyways, I'm interested in a new headlamp. I do not know much about the market and if upgrading is worth it at this point in time.

Backstory, I'm an aspiring ultralight hiker. I like going minimalist now. I only carry what I need and I typically go with the most suitable, yet allbeit, the "lightest, most suitable" piece of gear for said given tasks and agenda.

I have found that lightest gear doesn't always means the best piece of gear for what I need. Why am I blabbering about this, I figured out I don't like tiny little flashlights for thru hiking, the hard way.

I have always backpacked with a headlamp of some sort. I had the cheapest Petzl at the time when I first started. It didn't have a red light after a couple seasons I got a newer Petzl Tikka Plus 2 and have been pretty happy with it. I thru-hiked with it in 2014 on the Long Trail and have used it backpacking since.

On my recent thru-hike of the Cohos, I decided to only take my every day carry flashlight. My 1x AAA streamlight microstream. This thing has been to hell and back and keeps on ticking. It's a beast. It also puts out a good amount of light and it is LIGHT. I carried the flashlight with a fresh lithium, and carried three spares. I only ended up using one of the spares.

However, I really didn't like holding the light all the time, and sometime in my mouth. It got dark early on the Cohos (hiked in late sept/early oct). It was also cold, so having to hold the flashlight was an inconvenience. Also, I forgot that I like to go to bed with my headlamp around my neck and handy. I kept my stream light in my ridge line organizer of my hammock but it wasn't as convenient. Furthermore, I really did miss not having a red LED. I'm going to call it mandatory on any trail I'm thru-hiking. Because it's fantastic at night.

So, I have found I like a headlamp and want to keep a headlamp in lieu of typical ultralight philosophy to go with a photo micro or a tiny little handheld like my beloved stream light.

So if you were me, and your best head torch were a few years old Petzl Tikka Plus 2, where would you be looking? Any significant improvements the past few years or should I just continue to use this trusty old Petzl. Have torches gotten brighter, more efficient, and lighter? If so, I'd drop the coin to upgrade and save some weight.

If you are not doing any night hiking, you typically don't need a blinding headlamp. A headlamp w/ a red light is greatly appreciated on the AT in the shelters.

I was using a Black Diamond Ion headlamp (1.6 oz w/ 2 AA batteries) as my ultralight headlamp. I think there is a newer version of it that utilizes a push button on/off switch (instead of the swipe on/off that mine has). But, I think it gave up the ghost this week. I can't get it to work. I'm disappointed. Maybe the newer version will last longer.

I had two different Princeton Tec Bytes (also a 2 AA battery headlamp). Both went flatline on my pretty quickly (no... I'm not hard on my stuff).

I have since reverted to a heavier headlamp (3.2 oz; Black Diamond Spot) that has the features that I like (red light; lockable so it doesn't accidentally turn on in the pack; etc). I'll hump the extra 1.5 oz.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries

I use oite i3s EOS
    clip to hat bill
    0.68 oz with energizer ultimate lithium AAA

0.27 oz for spare battery. 30 hr light for under an oz.

15 hrs on 20L, which is all I need for night hiking. This is the light setting where this little light shines (pun)
    1.5 hrs + on 80L, if need to hit for more light sparingly sometimes

Ive hiked hundreds of miles with this , have no need for anything else on trails.

But...I prefer hiking predawn, and not burning headlight trying to set up a camp and get water in dark. Id rather get up early and start walking. Best time of day.

Wrap electrical tape around clip or hitting branch can spring it apart and you lose clip. Olite people were nice enough to send me another clip once, but that dont do no good in woods.
    i3S-BK-4.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-26-2016 at 18:53.

If you are not planning on night hiking: https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-e-LITE-...ds=petzl+elite

This is a great little headlamp and about as light as you can get. Good light, and enough for emergency night hiking if necessary. But I would not make a habit with it.

I should add. I've not done a ton of night hiking. But I enjoy it and foresee doing it on a long hike. I also sometimes like to get up before the suns up and do some hiking. I'm also keen on doing some exploring i setup camp early and want to summit something for a sunset.

I've been eyeballing the BD spot. However it doesn't seem to offer me much over my current petzl. Same weight. Better output. Don't know about burn time.

I feel a headlamp within those specs gives me more options on a backpacking trip. And therefore would like to stick with one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    If you are not planning on night hiking: https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-e-LITE-...ds=petzl+elite

This is a great little headlamp and about as light as you can get. Good light, and enough for emergency night hiking if necessary. But I would not make a habit with it.
    What I use. Completely adequate. Waterproof, long battery life. Won't get turned on accidentally.

I like my light to re charge off my battery pack I use for my phone .

Thom

Images

I got one of the Zebralight 1-AA headlamps and love it. There's no red light, but the lowest setting is really low and useful in shelters and tents. A simple twist of the battery cover locks out the light when it's in my pack so I don't kill the battery. The brightest setting is plenty bright enough for emergency night hiking. Takes Lithium or NiMH batteries in the very easy to find AA size. (I mean, really, 3 AAA batteries are kinda hard to find in small towns sometimes.)

I had a bunch of old Petzl and Black Diamond lights and retired them all.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the H52W, it is a great light.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I got one of the Zebralight 1-AA headlamps and love it. There's no red light, but the lowest setting is really low and useful in shelters and tents. A simple twist of the battery cover locks out the light when it's in my pack so I don't kill the battery. The brightest setting is plenty bright enough for emergency night hiking. Takes Lithium or NiMH batteries in the very easy to find AA size. (I mean, really, 3 AAA batteries are kinda hard to find in small towns sometimes.)

I had a bunch of old Petzl and Black Diamond lights and retired them all.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Petal Tikka + 2 takes AAA Li batteries. If you haven't switch to LI from AAA alkaline to save 12 g 40% on the battery wt of the three AAA's. AAA Li 8 g, AAA alkaline 12 g, AAA rechargeable NiMH 15 g.

If you have a beat up Petzl Zipka + remove the rear housing w/ the fastening string and exchange it for the Tikka +2 rear housing with the heavier stretchier fabric headband. This alone doesn't save much wt but with the battery exchange you'll drop .7 -.8 oz from the stock Tikka + 2oz including batteries.

Tikka + is nice for night hiking and the red mode as said are appreciated for stealth and consideration of others.

Vitchelo UL headlamp found on Amazon. Weighs 1.1 ounces, waterproof, and has red light.

I have grown to really appreciate the features of the BD Spot.

In warmer weather I got very good battery life with Duracell alkalines.

Using lithium batteries and exchanging the headband with a length of 2.5mm shock cord, the total weight is 62.2g (2.21oz).

Spo_headlamp_03.jpg Spo_headlamp_01.jpg Spot_headlamp_04.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-03-2017 at 18:00.

I used a mini maglight head-strap for years with lots of success with whatever mini or micro flashlight I was using at the time.

The head-strap in this link isn't nearly as cool looking as mine was (mine had lots of cool color embroidery patterns on it), but it's less money than a new light and if you have a light you already love, it would allow you to keep using it with little compromise.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Vitchelo UL headlamp found on Amazon. Weighs 1.1 ounces, waterproof, and has red light.
    I don't know what the waterproof to IPX6 standards means. Have you used it in repeated heavy rain. Has it been wet often ? How did it hold up?

Do you use Li batteries with it? I saw no description in the advertising that you could.

I see advertised with headlamps in general battery life data that suggests, at least to me, that as noted on this brand and model, the 120 hrs alkaline battery life as said "get up to 120 hrs without charging the batteries" makes me immediately ask "at what lumens/light output setting?" This unit has variable brightness/lumens/light outputting adjustability.

I ask myself with an UL philosophy if I do switch to lighter wt headlamps what are trhe overall wide ranging pros and cons beyond narrowly focusing in on wt alone. The best I've been able to save as far as wt is barely over an an oz, about 32 grams, on a headlamp while opting for the headlamp features I desire. In the big UL scheme of things, even though we regularly hear "every oz counts", that 32 grams is about 1/8 of a Cup of H20 or 12 M&M's. Keeping the wt saving UL philosophy in context I ask myself "do I have my H20 and M&M logistical wt saving approaches that anally dialed in by comparison?" Sounds silly doesn't iT? But that's what we do with gear regularly.

*The single wt saving category for the vast majority of backpackers/hikers reducing wt with the highest wt saving returns is not gear, particularly if one has already made large wt reducing major gear changes, is consumable wt notably food and water. And, it doesn't take more money or shopping for new shiny toys(gear) to do it.

Have had horrible luck with multiple BD headlamps. Then only thing crap that BD sells with their name on it. Seems to be some issue with the tiny circuit board...

I have an older Mammut headlamp that is wonderful, for everything except night hiking! Too bad they don't make it anymore...the S-Flex. However, 25 lumens is below my personal night hiking useful threshold(for me, no less than 90lumens). This lamp used only a single AA battery and had red led as well. Perfect camp/tent headlamp.

For night hiking, on a budget, take a look at.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-2...dlamp/29295368
    That is only 2.8oz WITH batteries! For a whopping 13 bucks....

Headlamps are not rocket science. Its all LED and power management. Waterproof is good. Red led is good. More than 90 lumens is good.

YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't know what the waterproof to IPX6 standards means. Have you used it in repeated heavy rain. Has it been wet often ? How did it hold up?

Do you use Li batteries with it? I saw no description in the advertising that you could.

I see advertised with headlamps in general battery life data that suggests, at least to me, that as noted on this brand and model, the 120 hrs alkaline battery life as said "get up to 120 hrs without charging the batteries" makes me immediately ask "at what lumens/light output setting?" This unit has variable brightness/lumens/light outputting adjustability.

I ask myself with an UL philosophy if I do switch to lighter wt headlamps what are trhe overall wide ranging pros and cons beyond narrowly focusing in on wt alone. The best I've been able to save as far as wt is barely over an an oz, about 32 grams, on a headlamp while opting for the headlamp features I desire. In the big UL scheme of things, even though we regularly hear "every oz counts", that 32 grams is about 1/8 of a Cup of H20 or 12 M&M's. Keeping the wt saving UL philosophy in context I ask myself "do I have my H20 and M&M logistical wt saving approaches that anally dialed in by comparison?" Sounds silly doesn't iT? But that's what we do with gear regularly.

*The single wt saving category for the vast majority of backpackers/hikers reducing wt with the highest wt saving returns is not gear, particularly if one has already made large wt reducing major gear changes, is consumable wt notably food and water. And, it doesn't take more money or shopping for new shiny toys(gear) to do it.

Have I used it in rain? Yes. Longest time period was an hour with no problems. I don't night hike much either so most of the time I'm using it in the rain is when in camp for short periods of time. You can research what IPX standards are for yourself. I use the batteries that the headlamp requires: CR2032.

The time and lumens are true to what is listed is far as I can see. I think the battery length is actually a little longer, actually. It has two levels of brightness, strobe, and red. It has everything I need at a minimal weight. If I was night hiking, I would choose a more robust headlamp to suit my needs. In the case of the OP, they want a headlamp to wear around their neck in camp that will supplement the interior tent light.

Based on what the OP wants, my recommendation fits their needs. There's no need for a high dollar Petzl when a $14 headlamp at 1.1 ounces fits the bill.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Wa.../dp/B0120RIWSW
    Last edited by capehiker; 12-27-2016 at 13:24.

@Capehiker, I was referring to the V800 model. You are referring to diminutive V300 model. Your V300 runs on 2 CR2032 that offer UPTO 20 hrs battery life and UPTO 60 lumens. That's a dismal 60 lumens for night hiking which the OP has said he might being more often. 2 battery life time of 20 hrs is a damn short battery life! The V300 is a different category headlamp not meant for regular night hiking or long battery life. Different beast than the Petzl Tikka + 2 which is not in the same category meant to perform equally. OP already has the Petal Tikka + 2.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    @Capehiker, I was referring to the V800 model. You are referring to diminutive V300 model. Your V300 runs on 2 CR2032 that offer UPTO 20 hrs battery life and UPTO 60 lumens. That's a dismal 60 lumens for night hiking which the OP has said he might being more often. 2 battery life time of 20 hrs is a damn short battery life! The V300 is a different category headlamp not meant for regular night hiking or long battery life. Different beast than the Petzl Tikka + 2 which is not in the same category meant to perform equally. OP already has the Petal Tikka + 2.

Up to......

Cheap unregulated light.
    You cant get 20 hrs at 60L on 2 cr2032
    Thats only 500 mah...a single AAA Li is 1200 mah

Realize that my very efficient olite does 15 hrs @ 20 L on 1200 mah. Yeah, it will do 60 hrs on low 6 mah setting=useless.

Youll be lucky to get 1-2 hr of decent light > 30-40L. 60 would be peak brightness with fresh battery. It will rapidly degrade .

Most of estimated life is unuseable low light level , guaranteed. At least the last 15 hrs or so.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-28-2016 at 00:26.

Been thinking of getting the Thrunite TH10. I think it's the one Shug uses.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Up to......

Cheap unregulated light.
    You cant get 20 hrs at 60L on 2 cr2032
    Thats only 500 mah...a single AAA Li is 1200 mah

Realize that my very efficient olite does 15 hrs @ 20 L on 1200 mah. Yeah, it will do 60 hrs on low 6 mah setting=useless.

Youll be lucky to get 1-2 hr of decent light. . 60 would be peak brightness with fresh battery. It will rapidly degrade .

Most of estimated life is unuseable low light level , guaranteed.

+1 Thank you.

When the advertising says upto not mentioning specific battery life for specific light output there's just suspicion and likelihood the battery life is quoted for optimal battery life conditions.ie; battery life stats at much lower light output

Clearer less fudging of data when Black Diamond say this about battery life for the Spot, "80 to 200 hours, depending on setting" or Petal offers technical burn times for specific settings backed up with some substantiation, or Outdoor Gear Lab Headlamp reviews offer measured battery life/run times(ANSI) on high setting

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-H...field=#compare

https://www.petzl.com/I/en/Sport/CLA...A#.WGNAmsfFZHg

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++