WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default John Muir Trail 2016: Days 1-8 (Trail Journal - SOBO)

I completed the JMT in 16 days last summer, and have written about the first eight days of the trip (including both the highlights and the mishaps along the way). Part two of my trail journal should be completed sometime this winter!

Images

I enjoyed reading about your first 8 days, and look forward to part 2.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Thank you! It's been great to re-live the experience by writing about it and going through all of my photos. I'm already thinking about my next big hike!

Images

I really enjoyed reading much of your journal, thanks for sharing! We're going back for a THIRD JMT-esque hike this next September, can't wait, and your report makes this situation worse (not being able to wait...)! (JMT-esque meaning we're doing a bunch of alternative stuff, basically paralleling the JMT, mostly on the SHR, sometimes on the JMT proper).

Posting my trail journal has made me impatient to hit the trail again, too! I'd love to do the SHR someday, though I'd need to improve my navigational skills before trying something like that. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to hike in the Sierras next summer, but I look forward to my next hiking trip elsewhere!

Great read - looking forward to the 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, I hope to post again soon!

I missed that it was only days 1-8 so was disappointed when I couldn't find Day 9. Looking forward to the rest.

Sorry... I put the button for day 9 but there's nothing there yet. Although the posts aren't very long, they always take forever to write. I'll post more soon!

As one who would like to do the JMT one day yet clueless about the logistics, I would be interested in your planning phase as well. -Like we aren't already asking for more, more....

I wrote about that too

I wrote this post about the planning I did in the winter/spring before going on the hike. However, the most important thing to think about is the wilderness permit. It's difficult to get one, so it's important to know exactly how (and when) to apply, which I wrote about here. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather_VT View Post
    I wrote about that too

I wrote this post about the planning I did in the winter/spring before going on the hike. However, the most important thing to think about is the wilderness permit. It's difficult to get one, so it's important to know exactly how (and when) to apply, which I wrote about here. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    Awesome - thanks!

Thanks for sharing your journals. It's always nice to read about the experiences of fellow hikers.

Thank you! I love reading other hikers' journals and wanted to finally contribute some posts of my own

For all of you who have asked when I will post again, I recently posted "Day 9" of my trip. I hope to post future entries roughly once a week until completed.

++ New Posts ++