WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default shining rock wilderness

Can anyone suggest a good map for Shining Rock Wilderness? And a campground close by? I am going with my brother in February and I'm not sure we'll want to backcountry camp.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Davidson River campground in Pisgah. That area of the BRP is likely to be closed in February due to snow and ice. Probably best to access Shining Rock from 276 that time of year.

BRP was open a couple of weeks ago which is odd for December - usually closed by now. Likely closed in February though so the easy-to-get-to sites of the shining rock off the BRP will be much harder to get to without backcountry camping. Will be longish dayhikes with some serious elevation gain (1,500 - 2,500) from either 215 or 276.

Davidson river campground or there is a smaller campground called Sunburst on 215 west of SRW over by the boy scout camp. Not sure it is open in winter or not but could probably stay there anyway.

Definitely get a good map and a compass. The trail is not marked, aside from some info boards at misc trail intersections.

I did an overnight from Black Balsam to Shining Rock and back in April a couple of years ago. Incredible views of the mountains up there. We slept in Shining Rock Gap. Bears came into camp at 3am, and was by far the closest experience I've ever had with them.

I'll also recommend Davidson River Campground

Real Time BRP Closures: https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m....5535/-82.7463
    GA 80-Miler

Default shining rock wilderness

How far is the hike from Davidson River Campground to Black Balsam Knob?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Around 22+ miles from the campground to Black Balsam on the Art Loeb Trail.

++ New Posts ++