WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Approach trail - yes or no and why?

So if you have thru hiked or plan to thru hike or even just decided to do a section starting at Springer, did you/will you do the approach trail and why? Just extremely curious.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

If you google approach trail site=whiteblaze.net, you will find this question is repeated often.

I think its the best way to get to Springer.
    It only takes a couple hrs.
    Its there.
    The falls are possibly the highlight of GA, especially after a good rain when they are roaring

Its not official AT, but parts of the approach were original AT between springer and Oglethorpe.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-20-2016 at 21:52.

Big bone of contention. It's traditional, but not strictly part of the trail. I walked (most of) it. No big deal either way.

I figured, out of 2150 miles or so, what's another eight?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I did it, I enjoyed it.

The decision to hike it was easy:
    1) I like hiking
    2) More importantly, I was getting dropped off by a friend and it was much easier for them to drop me off at the visitor center rather than navigate the forest road up to Springer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I did it, would probably do again. I enjoyed the waterfall and the hike wasn't bad even for the first day. It's more uphill than starting at Springer for sure but nothing you won't face in the first 75 miles anyway. Nothing wrong with either way, it's not part of "the trail" but that only matters if it matters to you. Not sure how this one ever got to be so contentious.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you google approach trail site=whiteblaze.net, you will find this question is repeated often.

I think its the best way to get to Springer.
    It only takes a couple hrs.
    Its there.
    The falls are possibly the highlight of GA, especially after a good rain when they are roaring

Its not official AT, but parts of the approach were original AT between springer and Oglethorpe.
    Two hours? Were you trail running? That's almost 4mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I actually enjoy the approach trail unlike a lot of people who hate it. It is not as hard as most make it out to be, people just are not prepared for the trail and take their frustrations out on the first section they encountered. It's actually easier than many other Georgia sections. The climbs are not bad at all.

The falls are great, the stairs not so much. I will admit to sometimes starting my hike from the top of the falls and avoiding the stairs. There are also other trails in the park that go to the top and avoid all or half of the stairs.

Also, the approach trail gets no love because it's boring. No views, nothing spectacular save the falls.

If you are thru hiking, I say go for it. It's less than a days walk, and if you are walking to Maine, what's nine more miles?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dervari View Post
    Two hours? Were you trail running? That's almost 4mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Ok , a few hrs, not a couple.
    Took me about 4
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-20-2016 at 23:04.

I was recovering from an injury, so was a bit out of shape. I skipped it, didn't want to start out my first day with more effort than necessary. Was a good decision for me.

Done it 5 or more times

I like hiking

I like waterfalls

I like walking all those steps.

I like Nature.

No need to just want to for those reasons.

Every time I go back to Amicalola Falls SP I stand at the stone arch, remember that huge pack I had weighed on the scale out front, get some spring water from the pump on the side of the building, look at the wildlife exhibits, and look through the Trail Journal inside the store to remember the day I stood there at the beginning of a 2200 mile journey and think about the journey of the Approach Tr and the AT that has so highly impacted so many.

If you are going to hike the better part of 2200 miles.. why the heck would one squabble about an 8 mile approach trail?!!!! I did the approach trail. I think all should.
    Here are advantages of doing the approach trail:
    1) you are always hiking north and climbing Springer mtn (the alternative means hiking south a mile to tag the terminus then going north...)
    2)again why fuss over 8 miles?
    3) You have a great jump off point in Amicolala falls state park. you can see the vistors center, get into the log book and start your long trek from a proper parking lot!
    4) lastly... you are about to do a 5-6 month 2200 mile hike. Whats another 8? do the damned trail!

I was on the fence then talked out of it by the folks at The Hiker Hostel the night before. It was a comical "don't submit yourself to that unnecessary punishment" speech, but I was super green and had not prepared physically at all so I agreed. And with a Mid April start date I was worried about adding one extra day. Well none of my reasons for not doing it turned out to be relevant, I took to hiking very quickly and finished waaay ahead of schedule in just under 4 months.
    Looking back I wish I did it, but don't really regret the decision not to. Everything worked out and I plan to do it for a short trip in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Images

Having already hiked about 1/2 way up it and back on a day hike out of Amicalola, we don't intend to repeat it in March. Not because it's difficult, just because we've already seen much of it.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Sure, why not! Looks like fun...I mean pretty.

I did the 8 mile approach trail when I did the first section. If I ever do a thru, I'll do it again.
    Why? There is the scale for backpacks that hangs on the outside of the visitor center, there is the log book inside, there is the arch to walk through and get a "start" picture under... Why not?

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll be doing the approach trail when I thru hike. When the southern terminus used to be at Oglethorpe, you'd have walked it anyhow, right? Or mebbe I'm wrong. Who knows? But for me it's part of the whole package. Technically, walking back down from Katahdin doesn't count, either. But you're going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    So if you have thru hiked or plan to thru hike or even just decided to do a section starting at Springer, did you/will you do the approach trail and why? Just extremely curious.

Whatever is easier for the person/shuttler who is dropping you off.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Whatever is easier for the person/shuttler who is dropping you off.
    This is actually a good point, my dad was none too happy to drive his new vehicle on the FS road to drop us at our car in the Springer parking lot. Looking back, it would have been less stress on him and probably taken less time.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

There are folks who actually quit the trail before they even reach the summit, if the approach trail is skipped at least they can say that they quit on the AT instead of not even making it to the beginning

Why not? It's there. It's only 8 miles. It has a cool waterfall.

That said, it is not part of the actual trail mileage, it is an approach trail. So, nothing lost by not doing it.

I skipped it to start this epic, multi-year Section Hike and I don't really regret it. I do plan to return and do it and all of GA again, once I've completed the Section Hike all the way to Katahdin. As a kind of mobile trail angel, believe it or not...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++