WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning short section hike in Whites

And would appreciate thoughts and advice. This will be my first time hiking in the White Mountains. The planned itinerary at this point is:

Day 1 (9/4/17, Labor Day) Franconia Notch to Greenleaf Hut
    Day 2 to Guyot Campsite
    Day 3 to Crawford Notch, pickup by Mrs.Q and stay at Highland Center
    Day 4 to Mizpah Springs Hut
    Day 5 to Mt. Washington peak, pickup by Mrs.Q

I'm trying to keep mileage reasonable and this would seem to be well within my comfort zone. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Images

Quick, instant thought: the Greenleaf hut is well off the trail, over a mile (?) plus a big drop. We had originally booked the Greenleaf, but switched out when we found this out. The whites are t-o-u-g-h, really didn't want to add mileage and elevation. But I'm old. Wait... I see you're getting up there too....

I saw that, and would probably be cursing that decision on the climb back to Franconia Ridge in the morning. But what would be the alternative? Press on to Garfield Ridge? I would like to be able to linger on the ridgewalk during the day, assuming acceptable weather.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    I saw that, and would probably be cursing that decision on the climb back to Franconia Ridge in the morning. But what would be the alternative? Press on to Garfield Ridge? I would like to be able to linger on the ridgewalk during the day, assuming acceptable weather.
    All good points. We did, in fact, stay at the Garfield ridge shelter. We were going SOBO, by the way, so we did stay at Garfield, got an early start, and lingered on Franconia ridge, then pushed on to the Lonesome Lake Hut (I believe? it was a couple years ago....).

I guess as long as I get an early start I could spend time on the ridge and still make it to Garfield. Thanks for the input c_r.

The biggest problem will be that there will be a zillion other people there on labor day weekend vying for limited camping spots. Every weekend this summer trail head parking lots had cars spilled out 1/4 mile along the road on either side of the lot. 3 day weekends are shear insanity.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you are planning to go to Greenleaf from the AT parking lot where the AT crosses the parkway (up past Liberty Springs campsite and over Haystack, Liberty and Lafayette) you are going to get your butt handed to you on the first day. If on the other hand you go directly up Old Bridle Path its steep hike (one section is called the Agonies for a reason) but doable for a first day. If you really want to pick up the entire above treeline section, start at the Old Bridle Path trailhead and take Falling Waters trail then pick up the AT at Haystack then head over to Lafayette and down to Greenleaf. Its still a butt kicker but less than coming in via Liberty. Greenleaf Hut is the best hut on your trip and it worth taking your time on the first day. Greenleaf to Guyot is another very aggressive day and Guyort is always bursting at the seams, you will get in quite late and will get pushed into an overflow area. The woods around there are dense spruce fir, there are few if any stealth options in this area beyond camping above treeline (an illegal and generally dumb idea). If you do this the infamous hike up the Twinway from Galehead to South Twin is going to be an unwelcome. Think of the climb out of Lehigh Gap for a lot longer stretch of elevation. Guyot to Crawford is not a bad day, kind of long after passing Zealand. You can take AZ trail if you are running late. Last day is real steep in the AM and the hike along Webster Cliffs is quite an underpublicized nice stretch of trail. Its an fairly easy ridge walk after that steep morning climb.

I'm starting on Monday, Labor Day, not hiking over the weekend. Was hoping that would start me after the crush, no? Or should I wait until the following week?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If you are planning to go to Greenleaf from the AT parking lot where the AT crosses the parkway (up past Liberty Springs campsite and over Haystack, Liberty and Lafayette) you are going to get your butt handed to you on the first day. If on the other hand you go directly up Old Bridle Path its steep hike (one section is called the Agonies for a reason) but doable for a first day. If you really want to pick up the entire above treeline section, start at the Old Bridle Path trailhead and take Falling Waters trail then pick up the AT at Haystack then head over to Lafayette and down to Greenleaf. Its still a butt kicker but less than coming in via Liberty. Greenleaf Hut is the best hut on your trip and it worth taking your time on the first day. Greenleaf to Guyot is another very aggressive day and Guyort is always bursting at the seams, you will get in quite late and will get pushed into an overflow area. The woods around there are dense spruce fir, there are few if any stealth options in this area beyond camping above treeline (an illegal and generally dumb idea). If you do this the infamous hike up the Twinway from Galehead to South Twin is going to be an unwelcome. Think of the climb out of Lehigh Gap for a lot longer stretch of elevation. Guyot to Crawford is not a bad day, kind of long after passing Zealand. You can take AZ trail if you are running late. Last day is real steep in the AM and the hike along Webster Cliffs is quite an underpublicized nice stretch of trail. Its an fairly easy ridge walk after that steep morning climb.
    Thanks, this I exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I may look for a way to expand the first two days into three.

Images

I'm starting on Monday, Labor Day, not hiking over the weekend. Was hoping that would start me after the crush, no? Or should I wait until the following week?
    we started our white traverse LD weekend, on Saturday. Our 1st night was in a hut, name escapes me, and we booked that 2 months in advance. Two additional hut nights, starting LD Monday night, we did not book, and we nearly owned the places.

Guyot is always a zoo especially on weekends. The huts are very busy from July on and getting a spot on holiday weeks is darn near impossible

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I guess the suitability of the route depends on how fit you are. The AT in the Whites is steep, and the climbs are big. If you are planning to be in great shape at the start, your itinerary sounds fine or even conservative (I made it to Garfield campsite from Franconia on the first day of a section hike--very long day, not for anyone who is not in good shape). If you aren't in great shape and aren't wedded to sticking to the AT, peakbagger's suggestion of the Falling Water trail might be a better alternative.

I'm in decent (but still Thanksgiving-Christmas) shape right now but will be training and in much better shape before attempting this hike. I'd prefer to stick to the AT but am open to any other options that make sense. Thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some thoughts:

1. Make a point to check out the permanemt Bradford Washburn photography exhibit that is in the barn immediately adjacent to the Highland Center. To say that it is world class is not an exaggeration.
    2. The common area at the Highland Center is nice enough, but if your wife might appreciate a mini adventure of another kind, you can drive two or three miles up the street to one of the last Grand Hotels in the Whites. It is steeped in history, and in this day and age you can walk in like you owned the place in hiker garb and get a drink on their massive porch with a great view. Trust me on this.
    3. Be sure to take the blue blaze to Ethan Pond. For the full experience, research the song and appearance of the White Throated Sparrow (but especially the song) before you get there. Then rejoice when you experience it for real.

Or not, you really can't go wrong!

We are planning to stay at the Mount Washington Hotel the night after she picks me up at the end of the trip. I assume that's the hotel you are referring to? Thanks for the suggestions.

Journal Entries
    Images

My wife and I stayed there on our 25th wedding anniversary Mount Washington hike. It was very nice. We also stayed at Lakes of the Clouds Hut, which was super nice. Would have loved to have more time and go a little farther. Hope to get back there next fall.
    We are planning to stay at the Mount Washington Hotel the night after she picks me up at the end of the trip. I assume that's the hotel you are referring to? Thanks for the suggestions.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes.

Where are you staying your first night before you head out of Franconia Notch?

The private "Suite" at the Notch Hostel cannot be beat, IMHO. In fact, you and your wife might like it even better than the Mount Washington Hotel (though I have never stayed the night at the latter. Added bennefit, the private suite is just $100 or so.

The mix could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Yes.

Where are you staying your first night before you head out of Franconia Notch?

The private "Suite" at the Notch Hostel cannot be beat, IMHO. In fact, you and your wife might like it even better than the Mount Washington Hotel (though I have never stayed the night at the latter. Added bennefit, the private suite is just $100 or so.

The mix could be fun.
    Somewhere in Hanover, most likely. My sister-in-law lived there for years and we used to visit for a week every summer. She moved five years ago and we haven't visited the area since. This is part of the incentive for my wife to join me, she is going to stay in Hanover and visit her old haunts (Norwich, Quechee, Woodstock) for the first couple days while I hike. I'll check into the Notch Hostel, thanks again.

++ New Posts ++