WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A 65L pack for under $100, and is good quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiEsFvmctXc

Here is the review I found. I'll let you be the judge if it is worth getting.

Amazon link in the description of the video.

Check out REI's Flash 65l. If it isn't in the Garage outlet area, it will be as they change it every year. With the outlet discount and a member's cooopon, you can get in for less than a Benjamin

I just left a store with a pair of Osprey Atmos 50 liter packs for $120. I know. Apples to oranges. But the Osprey guarantee is worth $20. And a 50 liter pack will make you condense your gear's weight and volume.
    Deals are out there and not always online.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Typo: They were the current AG model.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

There is also something to be said for trying a pack on, throwing in a couple of sand bags and walking around the store. Neither the Osprey nor REI packs have torso adjustments, so the fit needs to be close.

I agree on the smaller volume, I went from the 65l to Flash 45L, really 50, as I was able to reduce volume/weight.

At $100 the risk may be worth the reward. I trust Sintax's opinion on the matter. Of course, if he does take it out on a few hiked will he really be able to put a real review together on the pack.

As someone who cares more about saving money then the weight of my pack, I see very little risk here and a lot of reward, especially if it turns out to be a reasonable pack.

Those side pockets though do look like a drag.

For the newbie just getting into hiking and doesn't know if he/she will like it, this looks like a pretty good choice.

For those of us who don't think there is much of a difference between a 35lb pack and a 25lb pack, the question becomes is the quality similar enough (longevity, fit, comfort) to make the $$$ savings significant factor.

If the quality is similar, I would never spend $100 much less $200 more on a pack to save 1-2lbs. I simply wouldn't feel that weight difference.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

I got a 36 ounce "Soldier Blue" pack on Amazon for 40 bucks. Built well, has everything $200 packs have, 50 liters. I could carry it no problem with 20 pounds, and that's with load lifters below my shoulders. I've yanked a ton at the seams and they hold. I wouldn't take it on the PCT, but if you're willing to take risks, and names aren't important to you, you can get away with a lot. The only problems I had with it are 1) the belt clips are less than great (they slip), which was easily fixed by spending $5 at Joann's to get better clips, and the pack was too short for my torso (I'm at 21.5). My 10 year old uses the pack and loves it. If they made it in a longer size, I'd buy one for me.

That backpack is $55 on Amazon right now. Listing says 3.8 pounds.

I found a 50/55L pack on Amazon for $49.95 (WASING 55L) which weighs 2 lb, 14 oz. It's got a bunch of straps and buckles which can probably be removed to get the weight down closer to 2 lb. I'm real tempted to get one.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Check out REI's Flash 65l. If it isn't in the Garage outlet area, it will be as they change it every year. With the outlet discount and a member's cooopon, you can get in for less than a Benjamin
    How do you like the side pockets on those? Looks like they are cut at an angle. I hate it when water bottles fall out of the side pockets. My son has an REI pack, and the small mesh side pockets will not hold a nalgene or smartwater bottle. Makes it a pain for him to carry water to drink while hiking (in addition to a hydration system with a hose). Seems like they all assume you want to use a hydration system internally, which I think makes it difficult to re-fill, especially if you filter.

I almost bought my wife a Granite Gear Crown2 60 Women's Fit pack when I had a huge balance at REI, but I discovered in reading the comments that the side pockets were made (for a time) too short. Reading the comments today, it seems they solved that issue by making the pockets the same size as the men's.

Quote Originally Posted by swatsullivan View Post
    How do you like the side pockets on those? Looks like they are cut at an angle. I hate it when water bottles fall out of the side pockets. My son has an REI pack, and the small mesh side pockets will not hold a nalgene or smartwater bottle. Makes it a pain for him to carry water to drink while hiking (in addition to a hydration system with a hose). Seems like they all assume you want to use a hydration system internally, which I think makes it difficult to re-fill, especially if you filter.

I almost bought my wife a Granite Gear Crown2 60 Women's Fit pack when I had a huge balance at REI, but I discovered in reading the comments that the side pockets were made (for a time) too short. Reading the comments today, it seems they solved that issue by making the pockets the same size as the men's.
    I just placed an order for a Crown 2 60 (men's) for 159.98 shipped with 1 year no matter what return policy. Good buy, I think.

++ New Posts ++