WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    -

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    As long you encourage all the horse owners to practice Leave No Trace we'll all be happy.
    nice fantasy

-

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Good point about the public lands available. Most of the public land is on the High Plains portion of the Great Plains.
    natural trail name for this: high plains drifter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aztarheel View Post
    -I am not sure where you guys are at in terms of specific trail location or if you are still modifying it but they just designated a 100 mile stretch of connected trails from Carlsbad Caverns to Guadalupe Peak as the "Guadalupe Ridge Trail". I couldn't really tell from the map on your website if the GPT already covers this exact path so wanted to bring it to your attention if it helps with anything.

-Guadalupe Ridge Trail Link: http://guadaluperidgetrail.com/
    -Local News Article: http://www.currentargus.com/story/ne...ure/101215946/
    If you read that article linked in your post, there's this paragraph:

"Last April, a hiking group from Colorado "tested out" the trail, taking six days to hike from Guadalupe Peak to the Caverns. They omitted the loop that takes hikers to Lincoln National Forest."

That was me and 4 pals. Pretty cool trail we followed, though the final version varied a bit from what we scoped out. Pic below shows the 5 of us at the start of the GRT, the summit of Guadalupe peak.

Anyway, I'm excited about this new Great Plains trail, but I agree, parts of it will be best done on a bike.

I'm actually heading down to TX/NM to re-hike the GRT, or at least a loop version of it, next week. We'll see how that pans out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The looks like an interesting trail. I am a long distance bike tourist who has done some backpacking and some bikepacking so this looks like it just might be a good fit for me. Right now all my trips are on hold due to the Covid 19 situation, but I may consider this one when I decide to venture out on a major trip again. I hope that the CV19 situation cools down before I am too old to do major trips. Has anyone attempted to string together some approximation of what the whole thing will be by bike with some hiking and high point bagging along the way?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++