WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Kansas isnt what most people think it is either.
    Some gems there for sure. Just harder to link the public land.

I read about this place recently being opened to the public. Looks cool!
    http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoor...107863027.html

Not my photo:
    LG-Castle-City2.jpg
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Also, I don't think it goes through Denver. The route goes rather east of it. [URL="http://www.discoverytrail.org/states/colorado/"]May you be thinking of the American Discovery Trail instead?
    If you click the map link on the GPT site, it shows the green line going right smack through Denver, perhaps that preliminary or something?

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like a road walk on 83 to south of denver the website does say road walks and idk how else your gonna pass Denver and south without road walks. How much of the trail is road walks?
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Mags, do you know if the GPT is anticipated to incorporate all of the Maah Daah Hey Tr? It looks like it's heading west right at Teddy Roosevelt NP

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    If you click the map link on the GPT site, it shows the green line going right smack through Denver, perhaps that preliminary or something?
    Strider took the Cherry Creek trail..so looks like you are correct sir.

Looks like I was looking at older route info.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Northeast New Mexico.

Resupply will take some careful thought.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Yep, the GPT web site talks about much of the trail needing "car support" for both food and water. The heyduke has this issue. The GPT Sounds interesting, nonetheless. Tons of road walking though. Play around with the interactive map. We're giving the pct a try this spring, might do a few hundred on this gpt in February to "warm up".

Maybe New Mexico and Texas in February.
    Sounds like a fully loaded expedition bike would be perfect. It just so happens that I have a pair of them.
    Hmmmmmm.......
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, the GPT web site talks about much of the trail needing "car support" for both food and water. The heyduke has this issue. The GPT Sounds interesting, nonetheless. Tons of road walking though. Play around with the interactive map. We're giving the pct a try this spring, might do a few hundred on this gpt in February to "warm up".

since its a bike trail, the carts you tie handles to waist and pull all your gear and supplies in , like the guys that walk across asia and S. America, ought to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    since its a bike trail, the carts you tie handles to waist and pull all your gear and supplies in , like the guys that walk across asia and S. America, ought to work.
    Except through the National Parks and Wilderness Areas just like the Colorado Trail.
    Reading the obligatory scary boiler plate about water is amusing. If everyone followed that advice there would be no backpacking as we know it. A gentleman recently traversed Big Bend NP using found water.
    Wayne

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Ecologically speaking, the route seems to stick to the shortgrass prairie ecosystem, which is the westernmost of the three divisions of the Great Plains (mixed-grass and tallgrass prairie are farther east). See the map here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortgrass_prairie

Glad to see some interest here in the GPT! This is Steve Myers writing (trail name Old Uncle Joe) - I'm the founder and creator of the nascent GPT. My guess is that many here are most accustomed to the AT or PCT in terms of amenities, percentage of trail etc. It should be noted that the GPT, by necessity, is a totally different animal. Private land abounds and true trail miles are fewer and further between. That said, there is a huge potential to create more trail as the process moves along.

One question in this thread is whether or not the trail goes though Denver. The short answer for the short term is yes. We are appropriating Castle Rock Canyon State Park and Cherry Creek trail as temporary ways to connect the trail to more far flung destinations. In the future (10 years?), it will likely be able to pass significantly east of Denver, but that depends on funding and some luck.

Thanks for tuning in. It's very much a work in progress, but as Mags noted above (thanks for the photos!), the beauty is something that most Americans ignore. It's not anyone's fault. Conventional wisdom has it as flat, dull and unworthy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

. . . sorry . . . Castlewood Canyon State Park.

Images

I live in the Tx NM region know it well. Its big oil areas dodging all the oil fracking water trucks 24/7 with all the road miles will be interesting

Journal Entries

-I am not sure where you guys are at in terms of specific trail location or if you are still modifying it but they just designated a 100 mile stretch of connected trails from Carlsbad Caverns to Guadalupe Peak as the "Guadalupe Ridge Trail". I couldn't really tell from the map on your website if the GPT already covers this exact path so wanted to bring it to your attention if it helps with anything.

-Guadalupe Ridge Trail Link: http://guadaluperidgetrail.com/
    -Local News Article: http://www.currentargus.com/story/ne...ure/101215946/

-Re: mountain bikers. This shouldn't be any more of a problem than it is on the AZT, CDT, and CT which I think all allow bikes.
    -And horses? Other than this one guy I met riding a horse from El Paso to Phoenix (pretty sure he was evading a crazy ex or the law) I've never heard of a thru-horseback rider. I bet it would be an awesome trip though.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aztarheel View Post
    -Re: mountain bikers. This shouldn't be any more of a problem than it is on the AZT, CDT, and CT which I think all allow bikes.
    Not true. There are sections of the CDT that are open to bikes, but there are hundreds and hundreds of miles in wilderness areas and National Parks that are not open to bikes. You could not possibly "thru-bike" the CDT legally. Not even close.

The CT is only partially open to bikes--not in the wilderness areas. Some of the sections of the CT that are open to bikes were really annyoing to hike because there were so many bikers.

Thank goodness that the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route exists.
    The 2017 Tour Divide is just around the corner.
    Wayne

Looks great, but obviously a lot of work (and years) left before this becomes a really viable thru trail. The largest concern being the vehicle support requirement.

Looks as if I've already began section hiking this trail and wasn't even aware of it. I've done the Maah Daah Hey as well as the Mick/Centennial trails. My gut tells me that I'd be more apt to bike this than to hike it though. Maybe gives me a reason to take up bike packing.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

For those of you who haven't been following the latest Great Plains Trail news (and who isn't (-:?), we now have our first OFFICIAL section of dedicated trail finished and signposted thanks to some amazing help, cooperation & coordination from incredible Forest Service employees. You will begin seeing more and more of these signs over the next few years
    Great Plains Trail sign.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++