WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

So, if I'm reading this GFM site correctly then hikers on the AT should call The Top Of Georgia Hostel if they have an on-trail emergency? You've got a bone sticking out of your leg (because you hike without poles) and you call Sir-Packs-Alot - "Appalachian Trail Conservancy trail rescue partner"? I've been down there at least a half dozen times I can remember and never heard that before.

If The Top Of Georgia Hostel is in fact an "ATC rescue partner" then wouldn't the ATC rescue their partner?

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    So, if I'm reading this GFM site correctly then hikers on the AT should call The Top Of Georgia Hostel if they have an on-trail emergency? You've got a bone sticking out of your leg (because you hike without poles) and you call Sir-Packs-Alot - "Appalachian Trail Conservancy trail rescue partner"? I've been down there at least a half dozen times I can remember and never heard that before.

If The Top Of Georgia Hostel is in fact an "ATC rescue partner" then wouldn't the ATC rescue their partner?
    Where on the GoFundMe site do you see that TOG is an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Trail Rescue Partner? And, do you even know what that means?

I thought your were going hiking for a couple of weeks...had to catch a bus or something...and that your "work here is done"...and by work I suppose you were referring to how you brow beat a poor independent film maker into blurring out the ATC logo in their film...

Did you forward those gems to the ATC so you could get an ATTABOY for protecting their precious logo from the vagaries of independent films, you meddlesome freaking troll?

I can't speak for all of WB, but at least I was hoping you'd make a video on how to ascend Mt. Whitney in conditions that required hiking poles but not crampons, for safety. How did that work, again? Or at least stay away for longer than 4 or 5 days...

Speaking of trolls, there was a famous troll on rec.skiing.alpine on the ancient Usenet Newsgroups whose braggadocio and work history(drug counselor to prisoners) are identical to yours, not to mention syntax and vocabulary. If your initials in RL are S.B.A., why don't you save yourself the embarrassment and just mosey on down the line???

Default Top of Georgia Hostel may not be around in the future

in 2015, I and four other hikers came out on the road leading into Hiawassee and TOG van was sitting at the crossing. We approached the driver of the van, who we out later to be Bob. We asked him how much it would cost us,if he took us into Hiawasse. His response was, that unless we were going to the hostel he wasn't driving us anywhere. Within 10 minutes we caught a hitch in the back of a pickup truck to do a resupply, as we were hitchhiking back out of Hiwassee , the van passed us and pulled over, the driver this time wasn't Bob and he offered us a ride back to the trailhead for free... .. I won't forget that moment, so when it comes to times like this when someone's asking for donations because your business is in jeopardy.. I say let it sink

The video was quite amusing. Touching music and pretty much zero content. Recreation facilities don't usually make my list of needy charities.

The thing about spending my money, is that it's my money. Oh, the outrage, someone is spending their own money on something that you don't personally think is valid! I splurged on a takeout pizza this week! What an idiot I am, I should have sent that extra money to a charity of your choice!

So, donate, or don't donate, but save the preachy crap for elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    If you love it, give. If you don't, don't give. No need to trash the guy's business.

I was planning to stay there this spring, so I hope he makes it.
    This makes no sense at all. So if I go to a hamburger joint and get great frood I should shower them with praise. On the other hand if I get crappy service I should keep my mouth shut so as not to hut the mans business? The OP asked for our opinion. So if our opinion is not a glowing review we need to keep our mouth shut? Seems a bit off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Where on the GoFundMe site do you see that TOG is an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Trail Rescue Partner? And, do you even know what that means?

I thought your were going hiking for a couple of weeks...had to catch a bus or something...and that your "work here is done"...and by work I suppose you were referring to how you brow beat a poor independent film maker into blurring out the ATC logo in their film...

Did you forward those gems to the ATC so you could get an ATTABOY for protecting their precious logo from the vagaries of independent films, you meddlesome freaking troll?

I can't speak for all of WB, but at least I was hoping you'd make a video on how to ascend Mt. Whitney in conditions that required hiking poles but not crampons, for safety. How did that work, again? Or at least stay away for longer than 4 or 5 days...

Speaking of trolls, there was a famous troll on rec.skiing.alpine on the ancient Usenet Newsgroups whose braggadocio and work history(drug counselor to prisoners) are identical to yours, not to mention syntax and vocabulary. If your initials in RL are S.B.A., why don't you save yourself the embarrassment and just mosey on down the line???
    Wow. Where there is a circus there are bound to be clowns. Thanks for more laughs - I guess this says it all really! About your character: Charming, mature, and erudite! Sticks and stones laddie. The hike was lovely and thanks for asking, as ever I appreciate the review. I did get an attaboy from the ATC too by the way, but service is its own reward - as I'm sure you know. (I put 2 gold stars on my fridge chart!) It says right in the second paragraph of the shameless GFM beg that the TOG partners with the ATC and local authorities as a trail rescue center, and I'd just adore it if you could enlighten us all as to what exactly that means - I do so look forward to showering in a cascade of your wisdom oh wise one. Oh, and what exactly is a "troll" again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sethern View Post
    This makes no sense at all. So if I go to a hamburger joint and get great frood I should shower them with praise. On the other hand if I get crappy service I should keep my mouth shut so as not to hut the mans business? The OP asked for our opinion. So if our opinion is not a glowing review we need to keep our mouth shut? Seems a bit off to me.
    By all means, give an honest review of the place...but, to call the guy abhorrent just for asking is flat out ridiculous.

Wow. Where there is a circus there are bound to be clowns. Thanks for more laughs - I guess this says it all really! About your character: Charming, mature, and erudite! Sticks and stones laddie. The hike was lovely and thanks for asking, as ever I appreciate the review. I did get an attaboy from the ATC too by the way, but service is its own reward - as I'm sure you know. (I put 2 gold stars on my fridge chart!) It says right in the second paragraph of the shameless GFM beg that the TOG partners with the ATC and local authorities as a trail rescue center, and I'd just adore it if you could enlighten us all as to what exactly that means - I do so look forward to showering in a cascade of your wisdom oh wise one. Oh, and what exactly is a "troll" again?
    Where in the second, or any other paragraph, does it say anything about rescue?

I'm Bob Gabrielsen (trail name "Sir-Packs-Alot"), the director of Top of Georgia Hiking Center.

The Top of Georgia Hiking Center is a one of a kind school, community resource, think-tank and landmark - located only a 5 minute walk from the Appalachian Trail in the North Georgia mountains.

THIS YEAR - nature threw us a "curve-ball". The Center is currently reeling from the impact of a historic summer of drought and wildfires. This unexpected natural catastrophe forced authorities to close 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail adjacent to our facility. The wildfires came within 2 miles of our Center and put us into pre-evacuation status. Hiker traffic to our center came to a standstill. Water sources dried up and the closure halted any hiking in the area .

I am writing to ask that you please make a year-end donation to the Top of Georgia Hiking Center today.

Even now hope springs anew, and the rains are beginning to come. The Appalachian Trail will heal and again be full of hikers. Right now though, Top of Georgia Hiking Center is in a financial drought.

I know that those who love the trail and who may have stayed at TOG will consider making a donation to this important program.

Please consider making a contribution now and help us through this crisis.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Bob Gabrielsen

??

And, post your ATTABOY from the ATC! I am calling you out on it!!!! How did they get your email addy? How did they know it was you? How did they know anything at all? LMAO!!!!! Dude....you look stupid! And, I guess you are S.B.A....how in the world did a basement-dwelling troll from Seattle wind up on WB? Selling any more filthy used gear/clothing on Ebay these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    By all means, give an honest review of the place...but, to call the guy abhorrent just for asking is flat out ridiculous.
    Again I will not give my opinion on the morality of the Gofundme. It dose seem that people find it to be in bad taste. That is just as much a valid complaint to them as getting bad service would be to others.

:banana Hostel Handouts

All this reminds me of the handout (??) that the owners of the Doyles wanted about a year ago. Is it going to be the norm that most places (On the trail.) ask for some type of handout from all of us? Will it make the trail better or worse?

Again I will not give my opinion on the morality of the Gofundme. It dose seem that people find it to be in bad taste. That is just as much a valid complaint to them as getting bad service would be to others.
    Eh, everyone likes to draw the line in a different place. Criticizing someone for making a feel good donation to gofundme, is about as useful as criticizing someone for buying a convertible, getting a tattoo, or buying a pizza. By the same argument, I could say that spending one's money and free time on the hobby of hiking, instead of putting that time and money into something worthier! It's just a hypocritical concept to crap on how someone chooses to spend their money, without examining how we spend our own money.

Eh, everyone likes to draw the line in a different place. Criticizing someone for making a feel good donation to gofundme, is about as useful as criticizing someone for buying a convertible, getting a tattoo, or buying a pizza. By the same argument, I could say that spending one's money and free time on the hobby of hiking, instead of putting that time and money into something worthier! It's just a hypocritical concept to crap on how someone chooses to spend their money, without examining how we spend our own money.
    I am not so sure people are focusing on the people making a donation as much as the business doing the asking.

Fourteen people are dead from the fires. Hundreds of families are homeless and have lost all their worldly possessions, their identities - their family pets were cooked alive. Jobs are lost with livelihoods. Old growth forest which went from national treasure to disaster site overnight, will take years to return from being a barren erosion-prone moonscape to what it once was. Indeed it will take longer than you can expect to be alive to be what it once was. (Don't worry - we got a fact checker on duty here tonight.) And this guy needs ten grand because he had a drop in business? You have any idea how many businesses there are in Gatlinburg, or on-trail even, with the same troubles? ATC rescue partner my eye! Let's keep it real dog. Begging on-trail is the new normal and it is indeed abhorrent - what's ridiculous is that we're supposed to accept it. Check out page 3 of the ALDHA Summer Newsletter for a think piece on the subject, and a cartoon by an inspired artistic genius. What's even sillier is the off-topic bickering and name calling not germane to the subject at hand, and that there are petty agendas bent on obfuscating the truth in its very face without noble purpose of any kind whatsoever.

I am not so sure people are focusing on the people making a donation as much as the business doing the asking.
    and the "business" is supposedly a non-profit

Hear! Hear!

As long as my kids are well-cared for and I provide my own funding for all of my life's necessities(health insurance, etc..), how I choose to spend my money(as long as it is lawful) is nobody's business other than mine. How much and on what isn't anyone's concern, but my own.

Now, I don't ink my body(cultural taboo) but my stepson does. I think it is a stupid waste of money, but I keep that belief to myself. He works hard for his money and if he chooses to spend his disposable income on indelible skin ink...so be it....its both HIS money and HIS body and he's an ADULT. While I don't agree with it, who the freak am I to criticize it? Nobody, that's who...just sayin...

Fourteen people are dead from the fires. Hundreds of families are homeless and have lost all their worldly possessions, their identities - their family pets were cooked alive. Jobs are lost with livelihoods. Old growth forest which went from national treasure to disaster site overnight, will take years to return from being a barren erosion-prone moonscape to what it once was. Indeed it will take longer than you can expect to be alive to be what it once was. (Don't worry - we got a fact checker on duty here tonight.) And this guy needs ten grand because he had a drop in business? You have any idea how many businesses there are in Gatlinburg, or on-trail even, with the same troubles? ATC rescue partner my eye! Let's keep it real dog. Begging on-trail is the new normal and it is indeed abhorrent - what's ridiculous is that we're supposed to accept it. Check out page 3 of the ALDHA Summer Newsletter for a think piece on the subject, and a cartoon by an inspired artistic genius. What's even sillier is the off-topic bickering and name calling not germane to the subject at hand, and that there are petty agendas bent on obfuscating the truth in its very face without noble purpose of any kind whatsoever.
    You have a serious issue with perspective. Top of Georgia did not cause the fire. The loss of life in Gatlinburg was tragic, but, it's a relatively rich community on the world wide scale. They'll recover and deal with their grief. There are millions of people in worse circumstances across the world.

If Top of Georgia wants to set up a gofundme account to buy booze and cigarettes, that's their business and not remotely related to the millions of people suffering in the world.

Don't try to tell me that you've never spent money on something stupid. Do you live in a cave, and spend all your time helping others? Are you planning on selling your computer and hiking gear, and donating it?

You have zero moral authority here. You are the one who started the off topic bickering. You and you alone are being preachy because you don't like the possibility that someone might spend their money on something that you personally don't approve of. That is some sick arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Where in the second, or any other paragraph, does it say anything about rescue?

I'm Bob Gabrielsen (trail name "Sir-Packs-Alot"), the director of Top of Georgia Hiking Center.

The Top of Georgia Hiking Center is a one of a kind school, community resource, think-tank and landmark - located only a 5 minute walk from the Appalachian Trail in the North Georgia mountains.

THIS YEAR - nature threw us a "curve-ball". The Center is currently reeling from the impact of a historic summer of drought and wildfires. This unexpected natural catastrophe forced authorities to close 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail adjacent to our facility. The wildfires came within 2 miles of our Center and put us into pre-evacuation status. Hiker traffic to our center came to a standstill. Water sources dried up and the closure halted any hiking in the area .

I am writing to ask that you please make a year-end donation to the Top of Georgia Hiking Center today.

Even now hope springs anew, and the rains are beginning to come. The Appalachian Trail will heal and again be full of hikers. Right now though, Top of Georgia Hiking Center is in a financial drought.

I know that those who love the trail and who may have stayed at TOG will consider making a donation to this important program.

Please consider making a contribution now and help us through this crisis.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Bob Gabrielsen

??

And, post your ATTABOY from the ATC! I am calling you out on it!!!! How did they get your email addy? How did they know it was you? How did they know anything at all? LMAO!!!!! Dude....you look stupid! And, I guess you are S.B.A....how in the world did a basement-dwelling troll from Seattle wind up on WB? Selling any more filthy used gear/clothing on Ebay these days?
    Oh! So you're Sir-Packs-Alot! That explains alot - well Bob, I guess someone (the ATC) got on my feedback and you changed your GFM: VERY sneaky, that's what it said this morning! (I do solemnly swear it!) Thanks for cutting that humongous LIE out of your shameless beg! Hang on and I'll post my ATC attaboy! Wow that's awesome.

Oh! So you're Sir-Packs-Alot! That explains alot - well Bob, I guess someone (the ATC) got on my feedback and you changed your GFM: VERY sneaky, that's what it said this morning! (I do solemnly swear it!) Thanks for cutting that humongous LIE out of your shameless beg! Hang on and I'll post my ATC attaboy! Wow that's awesome.
    I'm fairly sure he just pasted a quote, without bothering to add in some quote symbols.

Here is my ATC attaboy from Javier Folgar.20161205_141425.jpg20161201_131814.jpg Along with the stolen copyrighted material. I don't think your hostel is deserving of GFM donations in the face of a massive tragedy, (It's still standing!) And I think you should own up to having claimed to be an ATC "rescue partner". If you'd like I can post the letter I sent Mr. Folgar with regard to that bogus crookery also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++