Thread: Bikes on FT

Default Bikes on FT

Are there any sections in ONF that allow mountain bikes? I thought it was foot traffic only. The reason I ask is that I saw a trail bike event this pass weekend that was going across the state and they went through ONF on orange blazes. One checkpoint was M88 store.

About a year ago I was hiking in the Citrus Tract on the FT and there was a mountain bike event of some kind going on. The signs say "foot traffic only," no motorized vehicles, bicycles, or horses - but talking to someone that day, I was told it was public land and those "rules" were just suggestions as it is public land.

Some times, I would move out of their way, other times they went around me... just like when encountering other hikers. It really wasn't a big deal.

The good part - I didn't walk into any spiderwebs that day.

I've run in to them on the FT in ONF. They aren't supposed to be doing it but what are you going to do?

That's the west to east cross Florida bike race. With state permission they do use some lesser used FT sections. Thorough the rest of the race it's on mountain bike trails or forest roads.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

To answer your question the Florida hiking trail is open to foot traffic only.

Thanks for the input. I rode the East to West event last year and didn't think much when I saw the Foot Traffic Only signs. This year it was very troubling to me. I'll pass in the future and bike the bike trails...hike the foot trails.

Images

Last Saturday, while hiking from the Pruitt trail head to the land bridge and back, we ended up in a constant stream of mountain bikers who were using the FT as part of a 300+ mile multi-day event. I tried to grin and bear it until one genius nearly took out Caboose and I when he came roaring around a blind corner. After that, I began politely pointing out that this wasn't a shared use trail...maybe some of the riders will pass along the word...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

That is a lack of planning. There is a dedicated bike trail from Pruitt all the way to Santos.

++ New Posts ++