WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Looking for info about Hampton TN to Damascus for next weekend.

I am taking my 2 teenage sons on this section next weekend and was wondering mainly about water sources. We are section hikers originally planning on continuing our NOBO efforts from Fontana to Gatlinburg but are postponing for obvious reasons. Our first AT hike was from Mt. Rogers to Damascus, and we really enjoyed it (kids were 9 & 11!), so we chose this section as a backup. This section also looks relatively easy compared with anything we have encountered so far. Any info would be greatly appreciated, water sources, weather, trail conditions, open carry laws, cool points of interest, anything! We only get out twice a year, and the time with my kids on our walk to Maine is one of the very best parts of my life. We are really excited to get out of the city and take a break from this crazy world for a bit. The last thing I want is to get out there and be surprised by dry water sources or any other pitfalls. Thanks in advance for any info, input or advice! Peace

Journal Entries

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Kykind!

It's been a while since we did that anything in that section, so I can't give a current report on water sources. With the recent rains, I would expect you wouldn't have any issues. I understand the water at Vandeventer Shelter is a good ways down a steep side trail. Not hard to avoid it if you plan to load up before/after.

I recall some discussion here on WB during recent months about bear problems around Watauga. That would be worth looking into.

We did the southern half of this piece in a late fall or winter weekend. It was one of our first hikes, and chosen because it looked easy enough for newbs. Some time later we returned for the northern half, which was a breeze. We endured some chilly rain on the first hike and some cold temperatures on the second (snow on the ground), but because this section is at low elevation, there's not so much risk of deep snow as there would be on the higher ridges. The Hampton/Damascus forecast for this upcoming weekend shows rain on both days, with temperatures ranging from low 30s to mid 50s. Please be prepared to stay warm and dry. The ideal is to enjoy, not endure.

If you need a shuttle, check out someone from the list linked below.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...8.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Images

Boots Off Hostel in Hampton is new this year and gets great reviews. Call Jim Gregory at (239) 218-3904 for good info.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++