WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finding leak in Thermarest

I have a Thermarest ProLite+, several years old and quite used.
    I've patched several leaks using SeamSealer, which worked really great.
    But there is still a tiny leak that lets escape about half the pressure over the night, so that I'm unconfortable and cold from the ground after about 6-8hrs sleep.
    I tried everything I could think of to find the leak (especially submerging in bathtube, applying soapy water), in vain. No bubbles, no foam.

Anybody can tell me another trick to find such a tiny leak?

Journal Entries
    Images

Spray it with a soap water and add some pressure don't forget to check the valve you can do small areas at a time
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Send it back to Cascade Designs (the parent company of Thermarest). They can patch it for a fair price and/or help you get into a replacement.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Same problem here, old and very used neoair, old model. I tried and tried, tub, etc. Finally gave up, contacted cascade, mailed them the neoair, a week later received brand new, new model neoair. Great service!

Thanks, so obviousely there is no better method than submerging or applying soapy water?

I'm aware of Cascade Designs "lifetime warranty" and have used it in the past several times, but this is a bring-in service and would cost me €15 either way, €30 total. Still less than an airplane, had hoped to find a perfect tip to do it myself, though.

I'm in the preparation of a 7 weeks desert trip and just unsure what to do, give the old ProLite+ another go, get a new one, or get a new one of a different model that packs smaller, like a Neoair.
    One consideration is, that these desert trips are the best way to ruin any air mattress. All plants, even so small you hardly see it, is thorny and stingy. You take max care in 99% of all nights, and the single one you just throw the mat down its ruined. So based on this bad experience, I could go with the old one as well. (sorry, just lamenting)

Journal Entries

Do you have access to an ultrasonic leak detector?

If not then spray with soapy water and look for bubbles, or submerge, is about best you can do.

You could fill it with red dye, not sure youd want it when done though.

Or fill with smoke like they do rv's when looking for roof leaks

No access to an ultrasonic leak detector, unfortunately, but your hint gave me an iede: There is an app for exactly this, obviousely translating high frequency smartphone mic input to lower frequency output.
    Will give it a try!

To fill anything aside pure air into the void of a mattress I would be hesistant.

Images

I'd consider a double closed cell pad for the desert. For myself, i carry these for utah backpacking. Very bulky though! I carry one full length, and a second about 40 inches (1 meter) long for extra torso padding.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    No access to an ultrasonic leak detector, unfortunately, but your hint gave me an iede: There is an app for exactly this, obviousely translating high frequency smartphone mic input to lower frequency output.
    Will give it a try!

To fill anything aside pure air into the void of a mattress I would be hesistant.

Interesting.

I was hanging a curio cabinet yesterday in a different spot after repainting a room at my wifes direction.

I asked my son to bring me a level to make sure it was....level

He comes back with a level app on his iphone. The damn thing worked pretty good.

Obviously easier for him to download an app, than walk to the garage.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2016 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ...Very bulky though!...
    Thats exactly the reason why I went from a CCF to the Thermarest. First it would be hard to fit on my recent (smaller) pack, and second the CCF will shred when creeping through closed canyons.
    And, although just not yet your age, I still apprecciate a bedding more soft than a CCF.

Images

Thats exactly the reason why I went from a CCF to the Thermarest. First it would be hard to fit on my recent (smaller) pack, and second the CCF will shred when creeping through closed canyons.
    And, although just not yet your age, I still apprecciate a bedding more soft than a CCF.
    I strap my CCF vertically to the back of the backpack, keeping pack narrow for tight canyons, works great. Another option for desert hiking is to use 1/4" (6mm) CCF layer under your inflatable, provides much better protection from sharpies than just tent floor, even with an additional footprint or other layer. My 1/4" CCF weighs about 5 ounces, IIRC, not too big a weight penalty for this protection .

Journal Entries

Thanks, so obviousely there is no better method than submerging or applying soapy water?

I'm aware of Cascade Designs "lifetime warranty" and have used it in the past several times, but this is a bring-in service and would cost me €15 either way, €30 total. Still less than an airplane, had hoped to find a perfect tip to do it myself, though.

I'm in the preparation of a 7 weeks desert trip and just unsure what to do, give the old ProLite+ another go, get a new one, or get a new one of a different model that packs smaller, like a Neoair.
    One consideration is, that these desert trips are the best way to ruin any air mattress. All plants, even so small you hardly see it, is thorny and stingy. You take max care in 99% of all nights, and the single one you just throw the mat down its ruined. So based on this bad experience, I could go with the old one as well. (sorry, just lamenting)

Ive literally camped on nothing but carpet of thorns and fallen needles in a neoair with no problems.
    I used cuben groundcloth. Then my heavy paper maps (great to protect mattress), then my raingear, then any spare clothing items and ziplocks.
    neoair on top

No problems.

Thick waterproof paper maps are the best protection I carry for my neoair IMO
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2016 at 11:52.

I've learned about groundfloor here on WB just months ago and will take a housewrap-type on the upcoming trip. This will also serve as kind of an emergency shelter, just a sheet to pull over one's head, in the unlikely case of rain. The housewrap will also be most welcome as a sitpad for the campfire.

So well, if I can fix my old Thermarest I will give it another try for this hike.
    My mates, being 15yrs younger, will sleep on CCF anyway.

Images

Just curious, where are you going, the heyduke perhaps?

Would love to be in your places...

Sinai/Egypt is my goal, its just a 5 hrs hop by plane from here.
    The core trip is called Seven Summits of Sinai, this will take us 12 days out, but there will be several other trips with varied companions, including some relaxing days at the beach.

To get a rough idea you may visit Ben's site:
    http://www.gotellitonthemountain.net/blog/

I had a Thermarest that developed (after several years) an utterly unfindable leak. I suspect that DEET caused the coating to become porous. I tossed it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Maybe not DEET itself, but a solvent used fo a specific concoction.
    We have a well known anti-insect product (German make) a girlfriend once carried on a trip in her toiletries bag, and after days the tube broke and the content soaked the other contents in the bag - some of them (the plasic containers) got simply dissolved by this anti-insect stuff.

If I use DEET then only on face and neck, but the leaks in my Thermarest are all in the hip area, one on the top side, the others on the bottom side.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I bedded down after dark exhausted in what looked live a very nice spot. It was an old burn sight and examining it in am lot of broken bottle glass which fortunately had dulled edges from weather. No problemo. There was a cabin foundation visible in daylight from days gone by. Time heals all.

try something like windex. I think for slow leaks it's about having a very thin viscosity soap.

Otherwise, and this is just a wild brainstorming thing.... try filling with helium. You can get small tanks for balloons.... the smaller molecules will leak out faster, maybe making it easier to find.

and if it's really broken down and just porous as opposed to one hole, what would be the fix? paint with a sealer?

Images

Take a spray bottle and fill it with water, add about 10 drops of Dawn. Blow the mattress completely up, and start vigorously spraying the entire mattress down. I had a very small leak that took 5hours before I had to re inflate and was able to find my leak very easily with this method. Once you find the leak use a dab of Aquaseal or Shoe Goo, and leave it there to dry for 24 hours before use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++