WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Altra 3.0 Lone Peak MId

Has anyone had any experience with the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 mid? I like the idea of a little extra ankle support but staying with trail runner. Or does anyone have any experience with other mid trail runners? Thanks!!

I HAVE THE aLTRA 2.5s and absolutely love them. Their down side is the insoles are crap, like most shoes.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I HAVE THE aLTRA 2.5s and absolutely love them. Their down side is the insoles are crap, like most shoes.
    Oh come on. Their insoles aren't crap, they are just completely unstructured pieces of foam. For someone that wants an unstructured shoe, the are exactly what is wanted. For someone that benefits from more shoe structure, they need to either add the structure that is appropriate for them, or buy a different shoe.

Sorry for the thread drift . . .

Complaining about the insole in the Altras is like complaining that plastic mountaineering boots are crap because they are so inflexible.

Personally, I think Altras "are crap" because they have zero heal lift and I have to be careful not to hurt my Achille's tendon when wearing them . . . But then, zero lift is central to their intended design, the rest of which make them the most comfortable and effective shoes I own!! . . . After almost a year, with care, my Achille's issues have almost completely subsided, and my other foot issues are improving in a way they never did before using Altras. I try to never wear any other shoes.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Great info. I have heard pretty much good things about them. How about insole inserts? Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Oh come on. Their insoles aren't crap, they are just completely unstructured pieces of foam. For someone that wants an unstructured shoe, the are exactly what is wanted. For someone that benefits from more shoe structure, they need to either add the structure that is appropriate for them, or buy a different shoe.
    insoles are like trekking poles... if you need them they make sense... otherwise its just something extra to buy.

Altra (and many others) make "support shoes". Some people have structural issues with their feet that insoles or orthotics can help correct. Basically to fine tune a good shoe to make it a great one.

So unless there is a good reason... you shouldn't NEED insoles in any shoe.

Altra (and others) sell shoes in different stack heights to provide additional cushioning. So if you just want some extra cush I think your money is better spent on a higher stack shoe than on insoles. If you need extra support, your money is better spent on a shoe with support.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men
    Altra seperates their shoes into neutral or "Dynamic Support" for example.

So Gambit, if you like the lone peak but think it needs more cush... then you would look at the Olympus.
    If you need more support, then you would look at the Provision.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 12-09-2016 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorrison View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 mid? I like the idea of a little extra ankle support but staying with trail runner. Or does anyone have any experience with other mid trail runners? Thanks!!
    I have not tried the Mid...

But I do have the Lone Peak NeoShell... which appears to be all the mid is made in at this time.

Point being- it is a hot shoe. I would not wear it for summer or shoulder season hiking. It is an excellent shoe for wintertime and does a decent job with light snow/slush and keeps your feet a bit warmer.
    I believe the Mid in neoshell is meant for alpine/high elevation hiking more so than simply a high top trail shoe.

Not saying it wouldn't be a nice choice if you feel you need the ankle support, mainly that the shoe will have a pretty big downside for regular use on a trail like the AT (too warm/wet). So in gaining the ankle support you will likely increase your problems with blisters and maceration in your feet. So I'd think hard if you NEED the ankle support or it just seems like a good idea.

Many of us find that a low top (after some practice and building up ankle strength) is better for our ankles overall.
    I don't use them, but I think that the keen or Merrell mid's are a popular choice among those who do have bad ankles.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Don't make the mistake of thinking that a mid-top (or even high-tops) provide any ankle support; you can sprain a weak ankle just as easily regardless of low-, mid-, or high-top. What higher tops do provide is a teeny little bit of feedback that your ankle is starting to turn over, which, if you're paying attention, may allow you to catch yourself before it turns over completely. You would be better off strengthening your ankles and calves and going with a lower top boot, which is what I've transitioned to.

Note that I've sprained both of my ankles -- badly -- multiple times (mostly in sports). After physical therapy for very tight Achilles tendons that targeted my ankle strength, I was able to play sports without relying on ankle bracing and backpack with sub-30 pound packs in trail runners.

I've posted my ankle-strengthening regimen several times on WhiteBlaze over the years if you're interested.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that a mid-top (or even high-tops) provide any ankle support; you can sprain a weak ankle just as easily regardless of low-, mid-, or high-top. What higher tops do provide is a teeny little bit of feedback that your ankle is starting to turn over, which, if you're paying attention, may allow you to catch yourself before it turns over completely. You would be better off strengthening your ankles and calves and going with a lower top boot, which is what I've transitioned to.

Note that I've sprained both of my ankles -- badly -- multiple times (mostly in sports). After physical therapy for very tight Achilles tendons that targeted my ankle strength, I was able to play sports without relying on ankle bracing and backpack with sub-30 pound packs in trail runners.

I've posted my ankle-strengthening regimen several times on WhiteBlaze over the years if you're interested.
    +1. IME, I am more likely to catch myself and prevent the roll in a low cut shoe. Strengthening the ankles certainly helps greatly. I believe that in the low cut shoe I get better sensory feedback, and the shoe can roll a bit while the foot does not. Contrast that to having the foot locked into a high top boot. 25 years ago I was wearing high-cut, heavy duty Limmers with lace-up ankle braces, lol.

++ New Posts ++