WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hiking In Maine

Option one is a hike I've thought about doing a few times. That would be a decent loop dayhike.

Option 2 is much more strenuous...and much longer...and a lot more elevation gain.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Option one is a hike I've thought about doing a few times. That would be a decent loop dayhike.

Option 2 is much more strenuous...and much longer...and a lot more elevation gain.

Yes, the second is rated among the toughest hikes offered. The first (Bigelow Range) is among the second tier.

I've considered just taking off the day before the Bigelow hike, perhaps attend a class/workshop etc. Instead, I had signed up for a 6.6 mile hike on Tumbledown Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by KyHiker1971 View Post
    There are two different offerings as far as Bigelow. I'm going to read straight off the trail description.

1. AT/Bigelow Trail Range. Leave parking lot on ME 27 hiking north on AT. Take Bigelow Range Trail at 3.2 miles, ascend Cranberry Peak, with spectacular views of Carrabasset Valley, including the Bigelow Range. Ridge walk with views of Flagstaff Lake, then descend to trailhead on curry Road in Stratton. Pass Arnold's well and The Cave during descent. 8 miles hike

2. Bigelow Mountain hike. Ascend Firewarden's Trail to Bigelow Col. Hike North to Avery Peak and then back south to col and then to West Peak, North and South Horns and Horns pond campsite. Take Horns pond trail to lower Firewarden's trail and out to trailhead. 360 views into Canada, Katahdin to the NE. 14 miles.
    #1 shouldn't be *too* bad, but will be a work out for sure.

#2 is going to hurt. The Firewarden's trail has like a 1/2 miles steep rock stair case. I went down it. Not sure if that was easier then climbing up it. Doing much more then 1 MPH on this whole loop will be an effort. Having long legs for the giant steps is a plus.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    #1 shouldn't be *too* bad, but will be a work out for sure.

#2 is going to hurt. The Firewarden's trail has like a 1/2 miles steep rock stair case. I went down it. Not sure if that was easier then climbing up it. Doing much more then 1 MPH on this whole loop will be an effort. Having long legs for the giant steps is a plus.
    I've seen pics and videos of the views from Avery, West Peak and the Horns. Simply incredible. Worth trying to get in peak shape for and probably suffering through the very steep rock stairs. Fortunately, I do have long legs.

The firewardens trail is nothing compared to the Safford Brook Trail that heads east just after Avery Peak, its the AT route. The firewardens trail used to be far worse, the rocks were put in to make it easier. Both hikes are great but hard to beat Avery Peak and the "little knife edge" on the second day hike.

Do yourself a favor and get it good small cooler and stock it up with ice the night before. Not a lot of places to get a cold drink at the end of the hike. If you use a hydration system, fill it with ice before you head out either that or freeze a couple of gatoraide bottles.

Thanks all for the advice and information. Much appreciated! A couple of questions I had thought of.

I have plenty of tips on the hikes in the Bigelows. Does anyone have any info on the AT stretch from Perham Stream to Caribou Valley Road? Also, the AT stretch from Caratunk to Moxie Pond.

Second, in general, what kind of weather can I expect in Maine in early to mid August? In Kentucky, and in Tennessee, hiking in August can be brutal, as humidity and dew points are off the charts. As such, I'm usually on a hiking hiatus from late July to September.

Thanks guys for all your help.

We hike all Summer long up here. It gets hot and muggy, but nothing like the South. Typical days are in the 80's. Nights can be 40's or 50's, but usually warmer.

The AT between Caratunk and Moxie Pond has one big up, Pleasant Pond Mountain. Plenty of water along the trail. Pretty flat. Mostly.

Perham Stream to Caribou Valley Road is a fairly mellow for Maine hike up out of valley to the ridge line followed by a remarkably well graded ridgeline hike ending with a steep downhill (much more like typical climbs of out valleys in maine). MATC had a 75th anniversary hike up over part of this stretch a few years ago. Its a real long car spot which can take a couple of hours out and back. If the gates are open, the road gets fairly close to the AT intersection and saves some elevation climbing out of the valley. Once you hit the ridgeline its fairly easy fast walking. Unfortunately the views aren't as great as you would expect as it runs through fairly dense spruce/fir. There are occasional views across blowdown patches across and into the Caribou Valley and over to the Crockers and Reddington. At some point you hit the brass plaque on a boulder that marks the point where the AT officially was completed. Once you hit the Sugarloaf spur, definitely climb Sugarloaf for the best views of the day (tempered with how badly the summit was trashed by the ski area). Once you get back on the AT, you cross the headwall of the Sugarloaf Cirque and from there its very steep down to the stream with a couple of nice views off of cliffs. The South Branch of the Carabassett can be quite difficult to cross during high water but in August should be nice place for dip and to wash off. The infamous plank is cabled to a tree so the water doesn't wash it down the stream. From there you hit the road and then depending on the condition of the bridges its a variable length walk down the road to the spot where most folks park. The major caveat on this hike is there is zero reliable water on this hike once you pass Spaulding Shelter until the south branch. This includes the summit of Sugarloaf which many folks assume has services, it doesn't and that includes no rest rooms. There can be intermittent streams on the spur trail from the summit but best not to rely on them as its drainage off the summit.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-24-2017 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by KyHiker1971 View Post
    Also, the AT stretch from Caratunk to Moxie Pond.

Just did that walk last Saturday and it was wet and slippery like everywhere else in ME right now Nice view, not great, but worth the effort, on top of Pleasant Pond Mtn. Fill your water as needed before hitting the actual climb past the pond as it is a few miles to the next source headed in that direction. I walked past a lot of water earlier in the day and kicked myself when I ran dry on my way down the hill
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

There is a spring box on the trail to the summit of sugarloaf that had water in it last July in the middle of the drought. Its about .2 of a mile from the AT.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++