WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SPOT vs InReach ES

my kids want to buy me a Christmas gift, was looking at the spot, however starting reading about the InReach device. Looking for opinions on one or the other. I know there is a price point difference but it seems the InReach device does more and the subscription plans are more flexible.

Quick and dirty: Spot is cheaper with limited messaging. inReach gives you more messaging capability at a price.

I hate the cost but love the function of my inReach. It lets me keep in touch with my family while I am on trail which keeps me from coming home to talk to them so I can stay out longer. The two way communication is worth the cost...for me. You have to decide that part for yourself. If the one way canned message and tracking you get from a Spot is all you need save the money for cheeseburgers. If you need to use it to communicate you'll have to skip a few burgers to pay for the inReach service, but it works as advertised.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I think the inreach would serve one better as it is outbound text communication as well as inbound

I did so much research before deciding on my inReach. What sold it to me was the reliability, the ability for two way communication in the event of an emergency, free pre-determined messages that don't count towards your text allowance for check-ins or non-life and limb emergencies, a monthly plan or a early plan and easy cancellation, pairing it with your phone as a basic GPS unit and an easier way to text or email etc.

Andrew Skurka did some great comparisons on all the units, and his info is well worth reading:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/delorme...-buy-explorer/

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-sa...cons-my-picks/

Tons of threads are already on WB on this question. Since neither device has changed in a couple of years, better to review than rehash...

Spot is lighter and smaller and more limited in its use. A minimalist might prefer the spot. A pragmatist might prefer the DeLorme.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Spot is lighter and smaller and more limited in its use. A minimalist might prefer the spot. A pragmatist might prefer the DeLorme.
    While others prefer a PLB. I carry an ACR Electronics ResQLink+ GPS Personal Locator Beacon strapped to my backpack.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I owned the Spot (version 1 & 2) for many years. My only beef w/ Spot is you didn't know for sure that the message went out. When the message was activated, it sent the message out 3 times over 15 minutes. If one of the message went through (usually the first one worked), the other two messages were automatically cancelled at Spot's end.

On my 2013 AT thru-hike, I sent regular 'OK' messages (which said this was my camp for the night) along the way. My batteries were several years old (lithium). In Virginia, it quit sending out the signal & I didn't know it. I was also calling my wife on a regular basis. Finally, she asked me why I quit sending the Spot messages. I swapped out the batteries & it immediately started working again.

Note: In 2011, I did activate an emergency '911' call on my Spot & it did work as designed. Help showed up.

I've since purchases & used the InReach SE. I love it. I don't use the two-way communication much. But when I do, it is really nice. I also know when the message went out. It is confirmed on the screen. If I had it to do again, I would have spent more money & got the Explorer version. More bells & whistles with the unit. I'm fighting the urge to buy it @ REI since the InReach devices are on sale.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I originally bought an Inreach more for the communication side, for my business use, for when I'm travelling in Africa, and to give my wife peace of mind. I had a spot for walking. But the advantages of the Inreach soon became obvious and I now use it for all walks. I have had to activate it once, after injuring my back in a very remote area on the Australian Alpine Walking track. The 2 way communication was great, it allows rescue organisations to make more informed decisions about their resources. Now have the Explorer, which is getting to the stage of a gps with a plb with text communication.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

You can't beat A PLB for SHTF situations. Stronger signal and a 121.5 signal that SAR can quickly home in on once they're in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dervari View Post
    You can't beat A PLB for SHTF situations. Stronger signal and a 121.5 signal that SAR can quickly home in on once they're in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    "Stronger signal" is a major understatement. PLB = 5 watts for 24 hours minimum. Spot & inReach = 0.6 watts.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

For me capability to have a 2 way conversation is a critical advantage for the Inreach. In 2015 I ended up with Giardia on the Colorado Tr. and coordinated with my wife to pick me up at a road crossing. Ability to self rescue is a lot better with the Inreach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    For me capability to have a 2 way conversation is a critical advantage for the Inreach. In 2015 I ended up with Giardia on the Colorado Tr. and coordinated with my wife to pick me up at a road crossing. Ability to self rescue is a lot better with the Inreach.
    This is actually one of my preset messages. Something along the lines of "Something went wrong, I will try and self rescue but may need help." It sends my GPS co-ordinates and a map to the recipient. I can then follow up with a text message if necessary. Looking at the maps and emails my parents received when I hiked the Solitude Loop Trail the InReach was accurate to a few feet every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearleg View Post
    my kids want to buy me a Christmas gift, was looking at the spot, however starting reading about the InReach device. Looking for opinions on one or the other. I know there is a price point difference but it seems the InReach device does more and the subscription plans are more flexible.
    I was a Spot user for years -- until I actually needed it. I was at Clear Creek in the Grand Canyon when a member of our group collapsed. I attempted to call for help on my Spot. The Spot showed that the message sent, but no help came. We resolved the emergency on our own, but when I got back to the South Rim I contacted Spot's emergency center. They confirmed that they never received the call for help. That was when I switched to InReach.

It is probable that the signal might not have gotten out with InReach either, but if I didn't receive a confirmation message, I would have tried again. For me, it is worth the extra cost to be able to receive a confirmation.

The only time I have used the SOS function on the InReach was by mistake. I immediately got a call back from InReach and was able to cancel the call. Still, it was comforting to see how quickly they responded.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I was a Spot user for years -- until I actually needed it. I was at Clear Creek in the Grand Canyon when a member of our group collapsed. I attempted to call for help on my Spot. The Spot showed that the message sent, but no help came. We resolved the emergency on our own, but when I got back to the South Rim I contacted Spot's emergency center. They confirmed that they never received the call for help. That was when I switched to InReach.

It is probable that the signal might not have gotten out with InReach either, but if I didn't receive a confirmation message, I would have tried again. For me, it is worth the extra cost to be able to receive a confirmation.

The only time I have used the SOS function on the InReach was by mistake. I immediately got a call back from InReach and was able to cancel the call. Still, it was comforting to see how quickly they responded.
    I've heard quite a lot of stories like this. The confirmation of message sent/received is invaluable so you aren't left wondering.

thanks for all the feedback, online reference, you-tube videos,

++ New Posts ++