WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    WOW! That's a lot of Great info...Thank You... I guess my next step is to get some maps, so i know what you are actually talking about, haha. I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for our benefit. I'm sure there will be questions to come when i really start planning,if you don't mind?
    If I'm around I'd be glad to offer more. YES, get the maps. Check the route out.

I don't know CR. That's a lot of the best of the best as far as scenery goes packed into 8-9 days. There's so much more that can be experienced in the region that is the vast Sierra when one loses the JMT only thinking.

Driving to the Sierra from Michigan and missing out on experiencing Giant Redwood groves with trees 25ft+ in diameter, iconic massive waterfalls, rushing by and not fully absorbing mountains and other geological glaciated oddities, not viewing Yosemite Valley from on high, and Devils Postpile seems to me like one is missing out on some of the best of the best?

Images

If the OP had a longer window for hiking, I would also recommend the southern half. But given their time restriction, Dogwoods advice is excellent.

I would add, if you get the HalfDome permit, make sure you are really up for it. It took everything I had to overcome my fears and climb that thing. Actually, coming down was worst.

I would try to find a way to spend a zero day at Thousand Island or Garnet Lake. Once you see them you will not want to leave.

I have not done DW's suggested hike to Minaret Lake, sounds great though. But, if you are doing the direct route back from Thousand Island Lake to the Devils Postpile, let me make a pitch for the PCT route. I know even most PCT hikers take the JMT route, but I liked the 'high trail' better. The high trail is higher and dryer so it had different vegetation than I'd been seeing up to that point on the JMT. There were fewer people, and a lot more wildlife on the high trail. Not as many great camping spots, but like I said, really I enjoyed it.

No matter what path you take, I think you will enjoy the High Sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    This summer I did an 80mi, 9 day loop, starting on the High Sierra Trail at Crescent Meadows. I hiked East to the JMT junction at Wallace Creek, then north on the JMT across the Bighorn Plateau and over Forester Pass. Once I hit Bubb's Creek, I turned west again to finish at Roads End. Having done the JMT, I'd say it's almost as scenic, the Kern Hot Spring was nice, and the fishing good. Permits were also quite easy, and entering and exiting on the same side made logistics easier. That said, the Rae Lakes are beautiful, and I'll probably include them in my 3rd Sierra trip.
    How would you compare this route to just a straight 80 miles on the JMT, such as bishop to whitney?
    I am liking the idea of HST to whitney portal or the HST route your outlined, but don't know if I'll be missing out quite a bit compared to the straight JMT section

Whoa!
    Y'all are going to drive right through some of the best backpacking territory on Earth.
    It's called Wyoming.
    Would it be possible to move your trip slightly earlier, say last week of August and first week of September or the first two weeks of September?
    I'll be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Wind River Range
    Yellowstone National Park
    Grand Teton National Park
    You could add a minimum of 2 days to your hiking plan.
    The Teton Crest Trail is definitely a worthy alternate to the JMT. Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers aren't too shabby either. Yellowstone is genuinely unique.
    Think about it.
    Backcountrypost.com has abundant trip reports to aid in planning.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Whoa!
    Y'all are going to drive right through some of the best backpacking territory on Earth.
    It's called Wyoming.
    Great point. Fantastic places up there in WY. One counterpoint: the JMT is becoming overused, and for good reason; it's quite simply the most beautiful trail I've ever hiked, and I've hiked a lot of trails, including many in WY, though it's a close call and highly subjective, of course.

So, as was mentioned sometime earlier, the JMT will probably have more restrictions in the relatively near future. Because of this, get it done, or at least a good part of it NOW, not later. Save WY for when other trails are more difficult to get permits for.

Just pick a nice 100-ish mile section of the JMT and keep it simple and get it done. There are virtually infinite variations of things along the Sierra, but why not just do a big JMT section, especially since it will be in September.

You're right. It would be a shame if the same thing happened to Wyoming.
    Forget I was here. There are grizzlies in Wyoming.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    How would you compare this route to just a straight 80 miles on the JMT, such as bishop to whitney?
    I am liking the idea of HST to whitney portal or the HST route your outlined, but don't know if I'll be missing out quite a bit compared to the straight JMT section
    You'd be missing out on the beautiful Rae Lakes, and a couple of passes. On the JMT in that section, you'd also spend the majority of your hike at higher elevations and encounter longer climbs up to the passes. Doing the HST, from Crescent Meadows, you'll have some hiking in forests at lower elevations, only two passes (Kaweah Gap 10700', and either Forester (13200') or Whitney depending on your exit, although you still get time above treeline. Bishop to Whitney won't take you past any hot springs, which you have on the HST. Both trails will give you some lake time, but I'd say there's a few more on the JMT. In a way, I think of the HST as a JMT Lite. You get similar experiences but in a lower mileage and more time-compacted trip. As a bonus on the HST, bear boxes are more plentiful, and you could legally hike without a bear canister if you choose to. I still carried my bearvault, and do recommend you use one as well. The piece of mind and freedom to choose your campsite make it worth the weight.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Whoa!
    It's called Wyoming.
    Would it be possible to move your trip slightly earlier, say last week of August and first week of September or the first two weeks of September?
    I'll be back.

We are flying from Michigan to California.. Two weeks after Labor Day is the earliest i can, go due to my work.

Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    We are flying from Michigan to California.. Two weeks after Labor Day is the earliest i can, go due to my work.
    No worries. I understand completely.
    Put Wyoming on your To Do list.
    Have a great trip.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    This summer I did an 80mi, 9 day loop, starting on the High Sierra Trail at Crescent Meadows. I hiked East to the JMT junction at Wallace Creek, then north on the JMT across the Bighorn Plateau and over Forester Pass. Once I hit Bubb's Creek, I turned west again to finish at Roads End. Having done the JMT, I'd say it's almost as scenic, the Kern Hot Spring was nice, and the fishing good. Permits were also quite easy, and entering and exiting on the same side made logistics easier. That said, the Rae Lakes are beautiful, and I'll probably include them in my 3rd Sierra trip.

Great alternative. Depends on how 'out there' the OP's party is willing to go and to some extent the AP flying into and out of. As you did Maui Rhino FWIW I would suggest this alternative on secondary Sierra trips. There's also a possible issue about timing being it the third to fourth week of Sept is the trip timeframe with increasing risk of snow that might not burn off the next day...in some less used areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++