WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Understandable, I was planning on one of us using a stuff sack we already have to store that person's food while hiking then transfer it all to the ZPacks at night. I made the mistake of carrying 10 days worth last year... mail drops this year for sure!
    I'm pretty sure we could not fit, say, 5 days of food for two people in one Zpacks food bag. But then we like to eat when hiking - I hiked with a guy who brought almost no food. So YMMV.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This might be an asinine take on the situation, but I feel there are better places to cut weight than stuff sacks. Stuff sacks never weighed that much to begin with, use as few as possible. Look at clothing & big 3 if you want to count oz's, not stuff sacks.

I apologize if people find this post obtuse for the subject matter, im trying to help

12 lbs is already acceptable for a thru-hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I'm pretty sure we could not fit, say, 5 days of food for two people in one Zpacks food bag. But then we like to eat when hiking - I hiked with a guy who brought almost no food. So YMMV.

One zpacks blast holds 6-7 days for one person, stuffed, in my experience, without mountain house type bulky stuff.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    This might be an asinine take on the situation, but I feel there are better places to cut weight than stuff sacks. Stuff sacks never weighed that much to begin with, use as few as possible. Look at clothing & big 3 if you want to count oz's, not stuff sacks.

I apologize if people find this post obtuse for the subject matter, im trying to help
    Understand you are trying to help. Skin-out weight is 23 lbs atm, food and 2 ltr of water is 10.41 of those lbs.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I’ve been carrying a zpacks blast cylinder shape, it has held up for the 400 or so miles and 30 or so nights I’ve been using it and still looks pretty new! I have hung it by either cables or over a limb every night. I have the rock sack too. Before that I carried an Ursack. It worked great too, albeit a little heavier. I would say, if you have the $, want to shave the oz, and want a great bag then go for it. I always use an OP sack inside it too, just for the extra odor protection. Why not? Personal preference, really.

... just to chime back in a year later. On my last outing into the desolation wilderness we stayed at a higher elevation at Jabu lake without any great trees to hang from; I use an ursack and tied to a tree away from camp along with my buddies usrack. At about 2 am and about 14degrees I heard lots of scratching sounds coming from up on the hill where our sacks were tied; I nodded back to sleep knowing my food would be there in the morning. I certainly would not have been comfortable if my 3 days of food was in a sil or cuben stuff sack. Of course there are different tools for different needs. I like to err on the more protective side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++