WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 sleeping bags question

Well Im still going back and forth on sleeping bags. Like I mentioned in another thread I got the Sierra Designs Zissou 3S which weighs 2lbs, 15 oz and can keep me warm in the 20s. Ive tried it at home and its very toasty, I can tell, and its super wide and comfy for a side sleeper like me, opens on both sides (partial one side).
    So now, Im trying to fig out what lighter and less warm bag to get for not so cold temps. I ordered and received and tried at home a Marmot Hydrogen. It feels a little claustro for me width wise, not sure I will keep it…..? Other than that the weight and temp specs are I think a good choice for spring and well sleeping on top in summer. But again not wide enough….
    So for my 2nd not so warm bag, for late spring/summer….I am finding a variety of wide cute bags by Nemo, Sierra Designs, Sea To Summit rated EN Comfort anywhere from 30-36 and weighing 2 lbs 2 oz to 2 lbs 6 oz…..which is not that much lighter than the 3S I mentioned above at 2lbs 15 oz…..make sense? And not sure if 36 EN vs 30 is a good idea.
    Thoughts?

Its all about money. Seriously. You can get a 30 degree bag that weighs 24 ounces. A 40 degree bag that weighs 16 ounces. Make sure it fits....

You can get into a top quality 30 degree down bag the weighs 24 ounces for $300 bucks that may have the width you are looking for. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...2&p_id=2321162

Nemo has great wide bags. Here's a 2 pounder for $250 http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...FQMoaQod03IPIQ

The Nemo is a 30 degree as well...

My experience has been that the Nemo sleeps true to EN, Montbell, just barely...

Thanks friends.

My main question is if its worth having a second 30 degree bag that will be less than 1 pound less than my Zissou 15/27 degree bag at 2 lbs 15 oz?

Maybe I should just use the Zissou in summer and spring decide based on experience.....?

Kind uneasy about a 40 bc what if.....

You could get a quilt. Depending on your anticipated finish date, maybe 30f or 40f. Will weigh 1 lb or less and be around $200-250
    Can get extra wide if you need it

If you don't want a quilt, then yes, getting a high fill power wide bag with a higher temp rating will cost a decent amount of $ and and not save as much weight.

++ New Posts ++