WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any word of shelters affected/damaged/destroyed by the fire?

I know attention is directed toward the people and communities affected by the fire as it should be. Just didn't know if any info had yet trickled out yet about which trail sections involved etc.

Journal Entries

Keeping fingers crossed.......

ATC statement indicated they expected to have damage. But they did do backburns to attempt to save some, (I personally question using manpower to save shelters instead of working lines to contain the fire, its not someones home for petes sake).

Images

With approximately 31 miles of trail burnt on the north side of the GA/NC border, it's hard to imagine there aren't some shelters damaged or destroyed in that stretch alone. In yesterday's email sent out by the ATC it stated they were waiting to be allowed back in to assess the damage, which was expected to be significant.

I'm getting my cold weather work clothes out and I'm going to send a message regarding volunteering on a work crew.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Keeping fingers crossed.......

ATC statement indicated they expected to have damage. But they did do backburns to attempt to save some, (I personally question using manpower to save shelters instead of working lines to contain the fire, its not someones home for petes sake).
    It's home for the mice!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++