WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Baltimore Jack's Shelter Journals

Good afternoon trail friends and family. I am blessed to have two shelter journals that belonged to Jack.
    One is the Mt. Williams from 7 August 2000 to 25-July 2001. I have scanned this one and will be posting the pdf files for everyone to enjoy with the admins permission soon, and after I figure out how to best upload them here. This journal is full of many, many personal messages to Jack and the front of the journal has an absolutely wonderful message from Jack and a touching glimpse into some of his thoughts about hiking.

The second journal is from somewhere between Glastonbury and Mt. Greylock and covers the period from 28 June 1996 to 13 October 1996.
    I feel that this one is of particular historical significance due to it being from the year he completed his first Thru-hike. It is not in the best condition but I will be scanning it in very soon and providing it for everyone.

I am in contact with his daughter and sister (Erika) and have been working to gather and sort his belongings from his former home in Hanover with the help of his longtime friend David. Erika has given her blessings that I preserve these treasures. My intention is to get them scanned and posted for his trail family to enjoy and embrace as a part of Jack's legacy. I will then look into having them physically preserved and hopefully rebound in a manner that will allow them to be displayed safely. I think then Jack's daughter and sister and I will probably decide where their permanent home should be. Possible the AT museum or the ATC. As much as I would love to keep them, they belong to the trail community. But I think it would be prudent to insure that they will be someplace that will care for them, and make them available for others to enjoy. There are also thousands of pictures that Jack took that we hope to make available on some kind of site that hikers can identify people and locations and the year. In addition, there are also approximately 200 rolls of film that need to be developed. Logistically and financially that is another matter in itself. Any thoughts on tackling that would be welcomed. Keep an eye out for the Journal scans to be up soon I hope.

Cheers and be well.

SY-'99

Images

Thank you for this Superfly. Preserving history is important.

Images

1+ on the thank you. I look forward to reading this.

This is awesome, thank you. I can't wait to read them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack was a rare and unique individual. A hiker trash king, educator, and master of banter. He will be missed.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Baltimore Jack's Shelter Journals

ATC has a publishing department that could help you put a book together from journals and pictures. And you can write off the physical donations on your taxes on a dollar amount determined by a specialized memoribilia evaluater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++