WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I just started section hiking this trail this weekend. For me with this trail that's pretty much day hiking but ill do overnight in the 3 places that are allowed in CT. I'm avoiding any road walks when I can by simply planning to end a hike when one starts and then picking the trail up next time where it goes back into the woods. Starting at the Eastern Terminus by Prat and Whitney and going to Seven Falls, it's a shame how much the recent power line construction disrupts the trail. Other then that I thought it was a great trail and went through a lot of cool and different stuff. Giant boulders/ledges, over several streams and following along some. A few nice overlooks of the CT river and a couple of the 4 reservoirs that you go around. I didn't do any loops but there were several you could add on to the hike. Can't wait to pick it back up.

I just completed a southbound thru hike of the NET. April 29th to May 9th. If anyone has any questions I will gladly provide any info I have to offer.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Scot B View Post
    I just completed a southbound thru hike of the NET. April 29th to May 9th. If anyone has any questions I will gladly provide any info I have to offer.
    WOW. congratulations. a few questions... first -- are you from wallingford CT or wallingford VT? and did you start at the NH border, or did you start farther north to include the section from Mt Monadnock? and did you admit you were thru hiking when you met people, or did you make stuff up? and did you have any issues around camping? and what made you decide to do this particular hike -- have you done other trails?
    Lazarus

AT 2012

oh, and one more question -- how did you deal with the two major river crossings?
    Lazarus

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Laz, you sound excited.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Laz, you sound excited.
    sure. i may have a neighbor with a walking disorder...
    Lazarus

Lazarus I am from Wallingford CT. I started at the first road crossing in NH. I told people I was thru hiking and all were interested and supportive although I only crossed paths with a couple hikers on the trail my entire trip. Camping was good. Luck played a huge role in where I ended up each night. If I were where I thought in my planning it would have been difficult. This was my first thru hike. My longest was 4 night. Southbound was ideal for the river crossings. I mailed a resupply to Barstows Dairy on the CT river and paid a employee to drive me the 15 minutes around to Northampton. The Westfield river was uncrossable. but SOBO there is diner as you cross RT 20 Little George's where I asked someone if they would give me a ride otherwise its about a 3 mile road walk.

I'm testing the waters here; readership changes and maybe there is interest without my getting dumped on for advocating anarchy.

I have shared my no-road-walking connector between the Mattabessett trail along Mt. Higby and the Chauncey Peak Ridge with a few people already. There is a lot of road walking, by the book. I have two routes (actually two branches off a common route at the Higby end). The "Southern" branch is, I believe, fairly legal, passing through Eversource property (they're pretty benevolent), lots of Meriden Land Trust property, a small bit of Suzio (pretty much don't ask, don't tell) and a few small patches of unknown. The Northern branch is Eversource and right along the Eastern edge of the Quarry, which they probably wouldn't be real happy with, but the nice easy paths further East of the Quarry are definitely on private property and I've seen one no trespassing sign lower down.

Anyway, in a couple of days, after the worst of the hunting season is over, I'll walk the routes to double-check my notes and post some info here unless I see objection.

Caution should be observed when providing information on routes that trespass on private lands without specific permission. Trail systems take a considerable amount of time and effort to get established. Negotiation of routes with private property owners is necessary for this process, however this can be a very difficult process when people ignore boundary markers and/or private property and a few no trespassing signs. While some of the corporate and Lan Trust property owners may be "benevolent" however formal route access may not be granted due to poor behavior of the public on their property.

Encouraging people to trespass can work against the formal process needed for the right of way/use of these routes and keep the trail on roads for much longer than is necessary.

Also, being an illegal activity, posting in this forum may be frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ... when people ignore boundary markers and/or private property and a few no trespassing signs
    There are no boundary markers on these routes. There are no "no trespassing signs." The one such sign I mentioned was in an area I said I was NOT recommending, further East of my route.

There are some Northeast Utilities (aka Eversource) emblems, with no prohibition of any kind noted, just the company name. There is a sign forbidding ATVs or other vehicles. There is a sign identifying Meriden Land Trust property with no mention of any prohibition. There is a nearby prohibitive sign from the Meriden Rod and Gun Club but it is quite a ways away from my route on what I'm pretty sure is Meriden Land Trust property.

There are, admittedly, small sections where I just don't know about ownership. If I see used trails and paths and open woods with signs of travel through the woods without any posting and well away from any houses or other structures, I have no reservations about using them. I try not to intrude on hunters during the seasons as a courtesy.

Getting permission, even in the absence of posting, is a wonderful thing to do. Unfortunately it's frequently hard or impossible to exactly identify owners. Also it's an unfortunate fact of life that many owners have told me they feel they have to say "no" if asked, because of insurance and liability concerns, while they really don't care (as long as you don't trash). "Don't ask and I don't have to say 'no'" is something I've heard over and over again in my many decades of tramping through the woods.

However I do not want to violate reader sensibilities or sensitivities here; that's why I tested the waters. Your objection is noted, in fact constituting an overwhelming 100% objection to my posting information here; so I will not.

To the inquiry as to whether I'm talking about avoiding the road walking that includes a brief stretch in the Highland Pond Preserve: Yes. I actually worked on a route that cut into the Pond path as that's a nice section, but there's just too much housing over towards Atkins.

My route leaves the Mattabassett Trail early, at the relocation point, following the old trail to a deer crossing under Rt. 91 and stays in the woods South of Country Club Rd, and the Southern option stays South of Westfield Rd. The Northern option cuts across Westfield and up alongside the East edge of the quarry.

I think the universal objection here would also apply to providing detailed information privately. I have looked around for a website that might be more friendly to freeform hiking in Connecticut/The New England Trail where I could put detailed descriptions, maps, gps tracks, but haven't turned up anything yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++